Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Mates, how do you suppose Kobe and Carmelo differ as talents?

I'm curious to know, mates, how you suppose Kobe is top-10 all time and Carmelo is not even top-10 active.

Frequently I hear the term 'best pure scorer' applied to each, and in fact they are often compared to each other proper.

But what tickles me is the assumption that Bean is so much better, rather than simply fortunate to play for the best organization in the whole of the world!

They are both about the same as pull-up shooters (which is their relative strength) and the same as spot-up shooters (which is not). Both are skilled in the post. Neither is known to be a distributor or play-maker. They are both quite honestly the same defensively (Bean being the most overrated defender of his generation, strictly from the undeserved bum-kissing he gets from the fans and media. The bloke bloody well said he doesn't even take charges, some 'will to win' that implies, yeah?) Both players make fans go many times each year. Both have demanded trades from their teams.

Anyway, mates, could Carmelo Anthony not win titles with prime Shaq? Tell me if you think so. Tell me if you think Anthony could not have won titles playing with Ariza/Artest, Odom, Bynum, Gasol who were all in their primes/motivated. Carmelo and Kobe do the exact same things, chaps. The exact same things.

How is Kobe an all-time great talent/player and Carmelo not close to him? They're the same guy, mates.

How are they different besides merely the success they've been a part of as a result of circumstantial differences (the teams they play for)?

Banned

Default Re: Mates, how do you suppose Kobe and Carmelo differ as talents?

Kobe is one of the best and most well-rounded players in NBA history whereas Carmelo is not and never was.

I don't know why Kobe's all-around game gets so underrated. Kobe's only weakness is shot-selection whereas I can list plenty of weaknesses for Melo that go beyond shot-selection.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Kobe is one of the best and most well-rounded players in NBA history whereas Carmelo is not and never was.

I don't know why Kobe's all-around game gets so underrated. Kobe's only weakness is shot-selection whereas I can list plenty of weaknesses for Melo that go beyond shot-selection.
    this.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease TMacMagic's Avatar

If I see the word mate on this website one more time I might lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy

Melo is slightly better. He shoots a higher FG% and also Melo never got the chance to ride Shaq's coattails.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12

Kobe is one of the most well rounded players, mate? Aside from scoring (where Carmelo is equally well rounded) how do you believe Kobe is so well rounded?

He's not a good distributor (constantly turns the ball over when he tries to go into pass mode)
    He's not a good defender (eaten alive by Pierce, oh and Rip Hamilton dropped 21.4 per game on him in the finals for the Pistons, leading them in scoring. Also refuses to take charges, takes many plays off).
    Inefficient offensively (He shoots less, team wins more - some might call that better off without him)
    So-so Rebounder (For a bloody 6'6 guard he's certainly nothin special)

So what does he really do that Carmelo don't do, mate? Besides play for the best organization in sports who consistently accumulate the most overall team talent?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm

Quote Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
    Kobe is one of the most well rounded players, mate? Aside from scoring (where Carmelo is equally well rounded) how do you believe Kobe is so well rounded?

He's not a good distributor (constantly turns the ball over when he tries to go into pass mode)
    He's not a good defender (eaten alive by Pierce, oh and Rip Hamilton dropped 21.4 per game on him in the finals for the Pistons, leading them in scoring. Also refuses to take charges, takes many plays off).
    Inefficient offensively (He shoots less, team wins more - some might call that better off without him)

So what does he really do that Carmelo don't do, mate? Besides play for the best organization in sports who consistently accumulate the most overall team talent?
    He doesn't do anything better than Melo. In fact, Melo does everything better, including scoring because his FG% is higher. Put Melo on the Lakers and he wins atleast 5 rings in 9 seasons.

Banned

So what does he really do that Carmelo don't do, mate?
    Are you talking about Kobe now or what Kobe was during his prime? Cause if you are talking about Kobe in his prime like I am, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Kobe in his prime averaged about 5-6 apg, and he could have averaged even more if he was more of a pass-first player. Kobe has always been about as skilled of a passer as Lebron was. The difference between the two was that Lebron was more willing of a passer.

So you cherry pick two series that conclude he wasn't a good defender? Are you even sure he was guarding either player? Kobe always guards Rondo and I haven't watched the 2004 Finals since the 2004 Finals so I don't remember if he was guarding Prince or Hamilton. Kobe has always been a great defender especially in the Shaq days. Years after though, Kobe showed that he still has great ability defensively but he just wasn't as consistent defensively. He was pretty consistent defensively in '06 and '08 from what I could recall and was alright in '09 as well.

Inefficient offensively? No, he is not inefficient at all especially if you look at his TS% which has always been in the 55-57% range which is very good. His FG% isn't really inefficient either, it is actually among the leauge average. It looks inefficient compared to Lebron and Jordan but it technically isn't inefficient.

So-so rebounder? No, Kobe has always been a great and capable rebounder. He always ups his rebounds in elimination games as well and I believe he averaged about 8 rpg in the '03 season when Shaq was out for those games.

Averaging about 6-7 rpg for a 6'6-6'7 SG is pretty good too.

Banned

i want jagger to leave this forum =/

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

What in the world am I reading.

Anyway they have a similar talent level offensively, Kobe has more diversity and was a considerbaly more potent at collapsing defenses and in Iso's in his prime.

Defensively...lets not go there early Kobe eats him alive....same goes for distribution and ball movement.Triangle is based on quick reads and ball movement, Kobe Iso'd a lot but usually later in plays after significant ball movement.

He's had some amazing rebounding games when it matters most to be fair.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease TMacMagic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    i want jagger to leave this forum =/
    Repped.

WTF Melo has a higher FG%??????

I swear Melo's career avg is like 40-44, and this year he had 43%.

Kobe is a better passer, better leader, better IQ, more efficient, more diverse scorer, better explosive scorer, better defender, and IMO Kobe is atleast equal or a better rebounder than Melo. Melo is taller and plays a higher position though. Kobe has 5 rings, 1 mvp. Just about better at everything.

Also Carmelo had a better team than 8-10 Kobe.

Stat, Lin, J.R., Tyson, A.I.,Kenyon, Jared, baron,
    Last edited by Dictator; 08-07-2012 at 02:51 AM.