Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How does Kobe's legacy change by winning a 6th or 7th ring in an "unwinnable" system?

People acting like Mike D doesn't realize Kobe is one of the greatest offensive players in NBA history... he will tweak his system and Kobe isn't going to be a Raja Bell

Default Re: How does Kobe's legacy change by winning a 6th or 7th ring in an "unwinnable" system?

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    One of the greatest players of all time taking a backseat lol this makes no sense
    By backseat, I mean kobe wont be dominating the ball, or posting up as the go to guy anywhere near as much as he's used to. He may be forced into being more of a jumpshooter and letting Nash work his magic.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Dude, your sounding like a Kobe stan. Why won't you just accept that Kobe isn't needed like he has been for the last decade? Times change, personnel change, systems change. They have to co-exist, but that can only be done by Nash dominating the ball, that's what your failing to understand. Kobe also won't be the focus on offense, Howard and Gasol will be, with the kickouts and jumpers going to the shooters, which will be the likes of Meeks, Jamison, Blake and Kobe. Get used to it.
    We'll see but I think that's naive. But once he scores like 25 points it probably doesn't matter much to him.

All in all I wouldn't mind if I'm a Laker fan Kobe will get some rest, be ready for the playoffs where this particular method is not going to have the same degree of success

If he doesnt get to post up D Antoni should get fired basically.do it when Nash is out or something, but just do it.
    Last edited by Rubio2Gasol; 11-12-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Very good NBA starter

It doesn't matter Kobe can only win with the most stacked roster in the league and hall of fame coach Mike D'Antoni

Nothing will change.. He's already the GOAT..

Banned

By backseat, I mean kobe wont be dominating the ball, or posting up as the go to guy anywhere near as much as he's used to. He may be forced into being more of a jumpshooter and letting Nash work his magic.
    D'antoni should not be doing this.

It will be like Phoenix all over again except we are the Lakers and have one of the greatest offensive players in history.

He better scratch that run and gun and just feed the Mamba in the post and let him do his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Probably because I've been a lakers fan since I was 13 in 1996
    But then you jumped off the bandwagon and followed Shaq

Local High School Star TheeBeast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    But then you jumped off the bandwagon and followed Shaq
    Oh god, did he really?

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

It will be like Phoenix all over again except we are the Lakers and have one of the greatest offensive players in history.

He better scratch that run and gun and just feed the Mamba in the post and let him do his thing.
    Lakers have two of the best offensive players in history.

Just because the system was "unwinnable" in Phoenix doesn't necessarily mean it's an "unwinnable" system. I'm not sure this roster is the best make-up for D'Antoni's system, but it's the most talent his system will have ever had; granted, some of those Suns teams were talented and deep.

But since OP is a Kobe fanboy, and this thread was obviously started with an agenda, Kobe winning a ring this year (even in this "unwinnable system") wouldn't change much unless he was the clear-cut best player in the playoffs. If Dwight is clearly the most important and impactful player during the playoff run, then Kobe's legacy doesn't change a whole lot. Maybe he can make a etter argument for being over someone like Bird, Wilt, or whoever you have at #5 and #6 on your list.

If he has a "turn back the clock" type playoff run ala 2008-2010, he can definitely jump up into top-5 all-time discussion. Not top-3 in my opinion, but he definitely works his way into that Jordan-Russell-Magic-Kareem-Wilt-Bird group.

The caveat "unwinnable system" is just silly. Every system is "unwinnable" until it wins. And every system is heavily dependent on talent.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease mikek85's Avatar

He won't win. This thread is just imaginary garbage.

Kobe also won't be the focus on offense, Howard and Gasol will be, with the kickouts and jumpers going to the shooters, which will be the likes of Meeks, Jamison, Blake and Kobe. Get used to it.
    Oh, I'm sure that Kobe will be very understanding about not being the focal point of the offense, and will have no problem getting "used to it".

If MDA tries something like this, just wait for the Kobe meltdown. This is going to be fascinating to watch develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Oh, I'm sure that Kobe will be very understanding about not being the focal point of the offense, and will have no problem getting "used to it".

If MDA tries something like this, just wait for the Kobe meltdown. This is going to be fascinating to watch develop.
    LOL yep, have popcorn ready ;p

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

What was so bad about the D'Antoni system back at the suns?

As Ive mentioned in another thread, Nash and the suns were right there a few times to winning the title. Nash now has more talent around him to run the system than he ever has before. Unlike Kobe, he hasnt had the personnel except while he was at the suns to make a serious run at a title, so comparing Kobe's success to Nash's is like comparing oranges to apples.

Banned

Nash puts up 10/10 last year
    Limit him with triangle/princeton

"LET THE FERRARI DRIVE ON THE FREEWAY!!! WHY EVEN HAVE NASH!!!"

Kobe putting up 30 on 60%
    Give him barbosa's role

"championship here we come"

I love you guys