Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Is Edward Norton a 3-trick pony?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Hulk was much better than The Incredible Hulk. Norton's a very good actor though.

Very good NBA starter

don't know what you're talking about but i can envision norton in many roles. he can be a total douchebag that you root against or a sorry mofo you sympathize for. he can be a gay or straight man. a pos lowlife or a caring father. a drug dealer or a tax accountant. dude's got some range. the hell do you need him to take a role in.... an indian or chinese dude???

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

You know what Norton's problem is? It's obvious.

He isn't good looking enough.

Thus so he definitely wouldn't be given many lead roles in big movies. Those are the best movies people will watch where he can fully utilize his talents. Seriously do you see directors casting Norton in blockbusters? Maybe he can try an artsy indie film or something.

He does well in the limited roles he gets due to his looks. He isn't gonna be casted in Pitt's role in Fight Club since he has no looks for it. There is no way he can draw as big an audience as Pitt can in Benjamin Button even though he might be able to play the role better. He isn't good looking enough to be given the Howard Hughes role too which many guys can do a better job at as well as the Inception role.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
    You know what Norton's problem is? It's obvious.

He isn't good looking enough.

Thus so he definitely wouldn't be given many lead roles in big movies. Those are the best movies people will watch where he can fully utilize his talents. Seriously do you see directors casting Norton in blockbusters? Maybe he can try an artsy indie film or something.

He does well in the limited roles he gets due to his looks. He isn't gonna be casted in Pitt's role in Fight Club since he has no looks for it. There is no way he can draw as big an audience as Pitt can in Benjamin Button even though he might be able to play the role better. He isn't good looking enough to be given the Howard Hughes role too which many guys can do a better job at as well as the Inception role.
    no wonder why your username is pinkhearts...

i think that guy is fine. what's the movie with him as a psychocowboy? kidnapping kid... don't recall

Quote Originally Posted by dkmwise
    Even if you don't like him or like the movie, how can you argue he didn't do a great job in American History X and Primal Fear? Between just those 2 movies he was nominated for 19 awards and won 10 of them.

I can't stand Leonardo Dicaprio and don;t like most of his movies, but I can still acknowledge he is a great actor and plays great roles.

People Vs Larry Flint is great movie and great acting. Same with Rounders and Red Dragon. I'm actually not a big fan of Fight Club.
    I posted that you could argue AHX and Primal Fear as great roles. Those other movies you listed here are the epitome of mediocre.

Awards don't mean shit to me. The most prestigious movie awards are the Oscars. The same Oscars where Al Pacino has to wait until Scent of a Woman to have one. Gary O hasn't even been nominated once and filmmakers like Leone and Kubrick don't have one either. Movie awards are wack. Almost as bad as the Grammy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    You're being very, very harsh and yet you're calling that "generous"? GTFO. The guy is incredibly gifted and versatile. He pretty much knocks every role out of the park (that I've seen). He's easily one of the top actors of this generation. He just hasn't been in any big movies lately outside of The Incredible Hulk.
    Please, we are talking great roles here. Maybe my definition of great is a bit more selective than yours, but a bland movie like Rounders should not be making the cut by any measuring stick. If that qualifies as a great role than at what point do you stop.

the Illusionist was a great movie.

I would love to see him in a Chris Nolan Movie. I actually like him in the Incredible Hulk Movie. He was a realistic Bruce Banner.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 12-15-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    the Illusionist was a great movie.
    The Prestige > The Illusionist

I thought it was very good. Edward Norton? Collin Farrell? Join Voight?.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Please, we are talking great roles here. Maybe my definition of great is a bit more selective than yours, but a bland movie like Rounders should not be making the cut by any measuring stick. If that qualifies as a great role than at what point do you stop.
    Well, we aren't going to see eye-to-eye on this. I don't think it's a bland movie at all and I think he was awesome in that role. He did great as a slimy, wormy character. I think that role is really rather underrated. It's just not a big time role that was going to grab a lot of attention, and the character wasn't really likable. More selective? Hard to say. I might not agree with a lot of roles you think are great.

He was pretty good in Kingdom of Heaven where he played a Leper King. He should have won an academy award for Primal Fear and American History X. It sucks that the Academy Award only reward veteran actors, or the flavor of the month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWPKGlIpgro

His most underrated role.

PS:

Mark Ruffalo is the better Bruce Banner.

Banned

He played a cheesy romantic lead in the Woody Allen musical Everyone Says I Love You and pulled it off really well

pretty well rounded actor if you ask me.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ

-Fight Club (let's be honest here, Norton gets wiped of the screen by Pitt in this)
    I don't know how popular of an opinion this is but I thought Norton was amazing in Fight Club. Dunno if I'm biased because it could make a case for my favorite movie of All-Time but at the start of the movie when he plays this drained, complete lost dude who can't sleep I thought he nailed it. Brad Pitt steals the show, but thought Norton killed it as well.

Anyways Edward Norton at one point was probably my favorite actor. Might not be the best or move versatile but American History X/Fight Club/25th hour were all amazing to me. Two of those being All-Time favorites. He was good in Pride of Glory, Rounders as well. When you think about it he does play some different roles, certainly isn't one sided to the point where you point it out.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Brad Pitt didn't really outact or wipe Norton off the screen in 'Fight Club'. His character was simply more exciting and interesting. It reminds me of when some people were saying Viola Davis outacted Meryl Streep in 'Doubt' when she didn't. Pitt & Norton and Davis & Streep were on par with each other in how well they presented the characters. The one with the more dynamic character simply gets more attention and memorability.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Just popped in to concur that 25th Hour is a great movie. Probably my favorite Ed Norton role.

As for him as an actor in general, no complaints from me. Better than most of his generation.