Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by FPJ
    Andgar, the show starts pretty slow so if you wanted some type of action right away i can understand why you might not like it.

This show focuses mainly on building the characters and managed to do it like no other show in my opinion. You talk about cliche lines and characters. Its nothing of that sort. The characters are "real" and complex, This show is amazing because it managed to create A LOT of great in depth personalities.

Literally every portrait is amazingly created. The scenes in the show are "real". The thoughts of the average drug dealer are illustrated in a unique fashion. Take for example the "chess" lesson D'angelo gave to the little drug dealers and how it resembles the drug world. Take Bunk using a xerox machine as a lie detector on a young uneducated kid to make him confess a murder. Take Omar and his understanding of "the game". Take Prop Joe trying to civilize Marlo. When Marlo came to kill him, Joe said "i treated you like a child" to which Marlo replied something along the lines of "im not that kind of child".

This show is viewed as Goat because it managed to be so complex (reaching most of Baltimore's problems) and having such amazing characters. Literally every character has its role in the show and the writing and dialog are elite.
    Sopranos is slower, pacing isn't the problem.

Other shows have great writing and everything you wanna claim Wire has, I think people are forgetting some of those shows.

Again… good show, but not GOAT

Also, no actor in any scene made me go "That's some Emmy shit right there!!!" It was a true ensemble piece, with nobody dominating or standing out. Again, very methodical calculated I'm sure. I'm sure they don't want the show to become about a specific character but the group as a whole, and that's admirable. Every character plays their role fine, although I never bought D'angelo… nope. Still looks like a dyke to me, never bought his scenes. Avon and Springer in the first season were very muted, rarely saw them, rarely convinced me. I've seen both of the actor's work outside of Wire, naturally my man Idris in Luther is awesome, Avon was Hendrix, but I didn't see them at their best. All very subtle and muted. Not that they have to be bombastic characters, but give the actors some scenes man. D'angelo got some great scenes handed to him, but I never bought him. There's other actors that would've killed that role. Bubbles was great tho, stole most scenes he was in imo. Bunk was great as well, dude's nuances and approach are on point. That's just off the top, but as much as I liked them none are Emmy caliber.

The chess lesson I saw coming a mile away. The chess metaphor is used often.
    Last edited by andgar923; 03-21-2013 at 04:44 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

[QUOTE=andgar923]Sopranos is slower, pacing isn't the problem.

Other shows have great writing and everything you wanna claim Wire has, I think people are forgetting some of those shows.

Again

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

It should be a sin to say there is a show better than The Sopranos in all honesty. Like I said, The Wire is a great, great show. But I don't think it has anything on The Sopranos. Literally, nothing. The 5th season of The Sopranos is better than the 3rd and 4th seasons of The Wire combined together.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

i was a huge wire fan before i saw the sopranos. i still love the wire but i think the sopranos is better i have about 8 episodes of sopranos to watch til i finish never been so sad about a show ending lol. plus med soprano could get the D.

Lol Andgar you're such a complete and utter moron. Give them some scenes man! Maybe you should, you know, watch the show to see their scenes? Avon comes out in season 3, what you think happens? He lived happily ever after and they rode the character into the Baltimore sunset? Watch the Fukkin show you imbecile, before making the most senseless criticisms I've ever read. Here's a couple more criticisms you can make after seeing less than half the show "I don't like how the show concludes." or how about "I wish they would have made more seasons to fully finish the story arc." You fkin dummy.

I hope you cut your foot on your iPad charger and it gets infected and oozes puss for the next 3 months.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Seasons 3 and 4 of the wire are as good as anything ever on tv. Seasons 1 and 2 are probably top 90%. 5...top 80.

I saw The Sopranos first, then saw The Wire years later, and The Sopranos feels like a cartoon comedy in comparison.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    I saw The Sopranos first, then saw The Wire years later, and The Sopranos feels like a cartoon comedy in comparison.
    Yeah, by end of the Wire Omar had become Batman in West Baltimore, jumping out of buildings with his flowing trench coat cape and shit

And let's not forget characters like these:

And the Sopranos was meant to be an absurdist comedy as well as a drama, and they never had any characters as comical and ridiculous as the above

Anyway, Season 4 of the Wire is up there for best season ever of any television show. I think all the ambitions that the creators set out with were fully realized that Season. The second season was eh, pissed me off that they wasted an entire run on characters I never really cared about and relegated the first season roster to background players. Season 3 got back to the first's groove, and season 5 went ahead and f*cked the whole thing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Seasons 3 and 4 of the wire are as good as anything ever on tv. Seasons 1 and 2 are probably top 90%. 5...top 80.
    the best season of The Wire is maybe as good as the 3rd best season of The Sopranos

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    the best season of The Wire is maybe as good as the 3rd best season of The Sopranos
    You're overrating the Sopranos the same exact way you are saying everyone in here is overrating the Wire

Season 3 or 4 is only as good as the Sopranos 3rd best season? get the fvck out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Sopranos is slower, pacing isn't the problem.

Also, no actor in any scene made me go "That's some Emmy shit right there!!!"
    I couldn't disagree more.

The acting was one of the best part of the series. No other TV show/movie made me hate a character as much as I hated Clay Davis/Carcetti/Burrell/Rawls. I've never felt so much compassion as I did for Bubbles. Or for scumbags such as Avon or Bodie.

I'm actually kind of upset whenever I see any actors from the Wire in anything else because I forget they're just actors.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    The second season was eh, pissed me off that they wasted an entire run on characters I never really cared about and relegated the first season roster to background players.
    The second season shows the supply side of Avon's drug empire. The union workers smuggling the chemicals and other materials needed. Every aspect of the show relates

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

The Wire is a great show that should be viewed by every American, it's a great look into the police department, the streets, the education system, politics, & media. But it's also a show that hasn't aged well, The Sopranos will be more well known 10-20 years from now than a show like The Wire. The Sopranos was the first show that made you feel like you were watching a movie in every episode, and I love how we got a chance to get into Tony Soprano's head every time he visited his shrink, it was a genius idea to involve a psychiatrist on the show.

I also liked how Tony never banged Dr. Melfi, it would have been very typical and predictable if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    it's fair that people are shitting on me for dismissing it after the 1st season.

But other shows grabbed me by the 1st season and I was hooked!!!
    It just strikes me as odd seeing someone so dismissive of The Wire. Threads about it always make me want to go back and watch it again. You didn't connect with any of the characters? McNulty, Bunk, Freamon, Stringer Bell, Bodie, Clay Davis, etc...?

I still laugh when people try to say The Wire had better acting. GTFO of here