Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo or Michael Beasley

Having watched Mayo a few times now, I think one of the analysts from yesterdays USC/UCLA game summed it up best: "He's a good player, not a great player." He's developing a nice set of skills, has a jumper and is a good athlete, but this is no superstar. I expect to see him start for most of his pro career but it'll require some unheard-of gains in his skill set to make him an All-Star, because he doesn't have the explosion necessary for a 6'4 SG to dominate. He's not a point guard at all.

erudite

OJ Mayo = Brandon Roy or Ben Gordon? I am asking here?

I only seen a couple of games but it doesn't seem like he's trying especially to dominate physically and not everyone requires wade like explosiveness to get a shot they are comfortable with.

Going back as far as Sam Cassell at Florida state I don't think you neccesarily have to be the thing you are in the NBA that you are in the NCAA
    Last edited by KWALI; 01-20-2008 at 01:56 PM.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KWALI
    OJ Mayo = Brandon Roy ......NO? I am asking here?

I only seen a couple of games but it doesn't seem like he's trying especially to dominate physically and not everyone requires wade like explosiveness to get a shot they are comfortable with.
    To me B. Roy is his best case scenario.

The way I've viewed Mayo this season has been:
    best case: Brandon Roy
    worst case: Derek Anderson (note that DA was a very good player but never anything more than a role-playing starter)
    most likely: Jamal Crawford with less handle but improved defense

Going back as far as Sam Cassell at Florida state I don't think you neccesarily have to be the thing you are in the NBA that you are in the NCAA
    Mayo might be able to be a bigger, more athletic version of Cassell, but he's yet to show anything to make me think he's going to be a point guard. Gordon's a better athlete and a better shooter, though if he works hard Mayo could match Gordon's shooting ability. Roy's bigger and plays a more unselfish game, he's looking for teammates, which Mayo doesn't really do.

erudite

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Mayo might be able to be a bigger, more athletic version of Cassell, but he's yet to show anything to make me think he's going to be a point guard. Gordon's a better athlete and a better shooter, though if he works hard Mayo could match Gordon's shooting ability. Roy's bigger and plays a more unselfish game, he's looking for teammates, which Mayo doesn't really do.

Ahh.. that's where all this KB24 comparison talk is coming from...but in the games I saw vs..Memphis and ...can't remeber then other one he was really purposely looking for that Jefferson guy and on other teammate and shooting sparringly...so I guess that was outta character for him...But Sam Cassell wasn't a PG in NCAA comp either.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    To me B. Roy is his best case scenario.

The way I've viewed Mayo this season has been:
    best case: Brandon Roy
    worst case: Derek Anderson (note that DA was a very good player but never anything more than a role-playing starter)
    most likely: Jamal Crawford with less handle but improved defense
    Crawford isn't a bad comparison. I could see Mayo being a less-playground version of him.

Ahh.. that's where all this KB24 comparison talk is coming from...but in the games I saw vs..Memphis and ...can't remeber then other one he was really purposely looking for that Jefferson guy and on other teammate and shooting sparringly...so I guess that was outta character for him...But Sam Cassell wasn't a PG in NCAA comp either.
    I wouldn't quite call Mayo a ballhog, he's just a scorer, that's how he influences the game. And maybe in the NBA he'll have a great coach that can turn him into a pg. But right now he averages more turnovers than assists, which is unheard-of for a pg.

Banned

This is the best post made so far today.

So many times you people are always looking for the 'NEXT' big thing. Saying so-and-so player is the next LeBron or Kobe or Wade. That's not how things operate. Stop trying to define other people's game based on the skills of prior players before them.

When I see OJ, I see smooth. To me, I'm happy that he's playing within the USC system. Shows that he's willing and able to be coached up. I find laughable that you people are expectin him to be a gunner, when if he actually was that, you'd be criticizing him for that, too.

If you're having a problem analysing his game, who's fault is that? It's not mine or OJ's. Who's fault is it that you can't see a guy with elite scoring ability based on his freshman games so far? Again, not mines. You really shouldn't need the guy to go on a tremendous hot streak (like he surely will later in the year) in order to see his talent. You're worried about lack of aa first step and I see great handle/plus fluid stroke = he gets a shot anytime he wants at the NBA level.

Why don't you see the same?

Local High School Star ChrisConley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Created Player
    This So many times you people are always looking for the 'NEXT' big thing....

If you're having a problem analysing his game, who's fault is that? It's not mine or OJ's. Who's fault is it that you can't see a guy with elite scoring ability based on his freshman games so far? Again, not mines. You really shouldn't need the guy to go on a tremendous hot streak (like he surely will later in the year) in order to see his talent. You're worried about lack of aa first step and I see great handle/plus fluid stroke = he gets a shot anytime he wants at the NBA level.

Why don't you see the same?
    I'm confused as to your position on Mayo. You criticize people who are looking for Mayo as the "next big thing" (which I haven't seen anyone write so far). Then go on to basically praise him as the next big thing and criticize others for not seeing the talent that you see. I don't get it. Incoherent at best.

Banned

We won't know how good Mayo is untill he puts the work in and proves himself in the NBA. Its hard to predict how some players transistion.

I think Derrick Rose is the safest #1 pick.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by final.wrath
    We won't know how good Mayo is untill he puts the work in and proves himself in the NBA. Its hard to predict how some players transistion.

I think Derrick Rose is the safest #1 pick.
    What do you mean by safest pick?

Actually no matter how you slice it I think you're wrong. Derrick Rose doesn't have a NBA skill right now.

I rule the local playground

Give me D Rose. From all accounts he is a team player, who works hard, and is unselfish. Sure he isn't that great of a shooter right now, but With his work ethic and good coaching he can be a great PG.

His athleticism is off the charts, which is a plus. He can virtually get his shot off at an time.

Right now he is raw, but if he fine tunes his game in the next 2/3 years.

Watch out!!!

McCants is Available!!

Now that I've seen Beasley play a couple of times, I think if a GM doesn't take this kid with the #1 pick, there obviously crazy. He's the total package. What 74 pts and his last two games? He can shoot the mid range shot, solid ball handler and is a high-riser. I understand why a team wouldn't want him if they had the position he plays filled, but you have to take this guy. I think he is a franchise player. If Minnesota can get this kid and team him up with Big Al with Bassy running the show, I think that team could be a real threat.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

It is Mayo, how is this even a debate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    What do you mean by safest pick?

Actually no matter how you slice it I think you're wrong. Derrick Rose doesn't have a NBA skill right now.

I was 100% correct in everything said in this thread, Da KO King was so wrong about Rose he stopped posting due to the embarassment.

Ko King where u at brah?