Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Looper is getting amazing reviews

It was a decent flick, but I think the setup ends up being way better than the execution. The first hour is really good, but then it starts to go downhill and the ending was far too predictable.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore matt1016's Avatar

I liked this movie a lot, but I am a sucker for time travel stories.

here's my cartoon review:

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Here's my mini spoilerish review:

The Good:

- JGL was solid as hell as always, he and Bruce played well off of each other and his makeup was great

- Action was tense and well done, decent amount of gore as well which I was happy with (the movie was 14A rather than 18A in Canada, so I was somewhat skeptical, but it pleased me)

- One particular scene was original and really impressive (SPOILER: Joe's friend's future self is attempting to escape, and he begins to lose limbs and other portions of his body as he is trying to run back to the location, tense and horrifying scene so well done)

The Bad:

- I wish the characters had been a little more complex, and that shallowness made the movie somewhat predictable (as someone already mentioned, the last half of the movie really suffered)

- The ending seemed thrown together to me, it was cliche and actually did not make any real sense over the context of the rest of the film (I'll explain this in the next paragraph). It seemed like they had a wonderful concept, but they didn't really know how to end it, so they just "went" with what they thought up here

Problem with the Ending for those who have seen it (DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT):

- Old Joe (Bruce Willis) has gone back in time to kill the Rainmaker, who has taken over in his time and is calling for the mass execution of all Loopers. When he finally gets to Cid (the future rainmaker) he is insistent on killing him, and Young Joe (JGL) reasons that the Rainmaker would become who he is because he witnessed Old Joe (Willis) kill his mother and he would be filled with vengeance. So, Young Joe kills himself and "closes his loop" while also preventing a horrible future (at least what is his reasoning, and I assume that of the filmmaker)

However, the problem is Old Joe did not know of Cid, so there is no way Young Joe could have that reasoning. The Rainmaker is who is was because of other factors, he never encountered Joe in the other reality, so he became who he was anyway (he clearly was unstable with his mother anyway). So in the end, either Young Joe's sacrifice was moot and pointless (even reckless, considering the Rainmaker will become a large problem anyway), or it was an oversight by the filmmaker and at best a lazy ending.

Just my two cents, wondering what others think about this.

Da Mavs

Piper Perabo was hot, but wow those tits are tiny.

As for the ending: SPOILERS DON'T REAF FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN: Its not just that Cid's life is spared so he isn't bad in the future. Its that in the last scene he finally makes a connection with Sara (as his TK fury is being unleashed). He finally accepts her emotionally as his mother and that is powerful enough to change his future. Time travel is so complicated, but the ending was rather simple. A lot of people also thinking Cid is Joe because of the hair things at the end, not true IMO just a symbolic image. and also the mob boss (Abe) from the future was the same person as the other guy...who keeps failing but catches Bruce towards the end.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All

However, the problem is Old Joe did not know of Cid, so there is no way Young Joe could have that reasoning. The Rainmaker is who is was because of other factors, he never encountered Joe in the other reality, so he became who he was anyway (he clearly was unstable with his mother anyway). So in the end, either Young Joe's sacrifice was moot and pointless (even reckless, considering the Rainmaker will become a large problem anyway), or it was an oversight by the filmmaker and at best a lazy ending.
    An alternative view to that scene at the end is that the Rainmaker never trusted Sarah and viewed her as his mom until that moment. If neither Joe ever came into their lives, the boy would have continued to hate Sarah and view her as a liar. But by the 2 Joe's coming into their lives, that put them in a situation where Sarah earned Rainmaker's trust in her as his mom. Additionally, young Joe provided her with insight on a potential future that she would not have known in the other timelines, which could also change the future.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose

As for the ending: SPOILERS DON'T REAF FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN: Its not just that Cid's life is spared so he isn't bad in the future. Its that in the last scene he finally makes a connection with Sara (as his TK fury is being unleashed). He finally accepts her emotionally as his mother and that is powerful enough to change his future.
    Damn, you beat me by seconds.

Spoiler
    [COLOR="White"]CID definitely isn't joe. I though about the possibility but no for a variety of reasons. Joe isn't tk and the time travel timing doesn't work. Next you can get past joe not remembering the kid because of his memory being a cloud and not remembering things until young joe does them. Also it can be that two people being willing to give their lives for him is what made him good rather than only the fact that the killing of his mom is what made him bad. [/COLOR]

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Damn, you beat me by seconds.
    Was a great film

Anyone think there's any chance of additional movie in this universe? Guessing only prequels could include JGL...well what if they did a sequel in which a Joe goes back at a different time before this film and changes the events that happened here? Or an evil person does that to ensure rainmaker is in power. Mindblowing possibilities lol

Was a great film

Anyone think there's any chance of additional movie in this universe? Guessing only prequels could include JGL...well what if they did a sequel in which a Joe goes back at a different time before this film and changes the events that happened here? Or an evil person does that to ensure rainmaker is in power. Mindblowing possibilities lol
    I don't see it working out. They may try a direct to DVD take on it with different actors, but I don't see a good enough story left to get the actors to sign on. Reminds me of Butterfly Effect's sequels where there was no real logical reason to include Kutcher in a sequel, so they just did a similar thing with another actor on a straight to DVD movie.

Da Mavs

SPOILERS:

There is one thing I need some explanation on. When Bruce first comes back and attacks JGL and runs away, JGL wakes up and goes back to the city. He falls off the apartment and the screen goes black. Then it cuts back to JGL waiting for his target and it's Bruce and he kills him. Then it goes on to show the next 30 years and then Bruce comes back to 2044 and it shows his perspective from back from the top of this paragraph till when JGL falls off the apartment.

So what was the part where he gets shot by JGL all about? A dream? Or is it showing that since he killed him and closed the loop, there's 30 years left to live and when he is forced to come back to 2044, he changes the past by not getting killed?

Banned

Was a great film

I would like a spin-off type film where we see what happens to CID and what new life he led.. It would have a great set up in Looper and a foundation for its premise but wont be tied down to any specifics, so it can basically turn into any type of film imagined.

Maybe he does the same things.. (infiltrate the mob, take over.. to destroy the time machines.. instead of the Loopers themselves..that way Joe never becomes one gets to live a different version of his life and gets to meet the china female ) then have it occur where he meets a chick that is being threatened by the MOB and he takes them down with intellect ingenuity and his TK..

There is a bunch of different possible scenarios that could be explored, but that's the one id prefer.

Banned

SPOILERS:

There is one thing I need some explanation on. When Bruce first comes back and attacks JGL and runs away, JGL wakes up and goes back to the city. He falls off the apartment and the screen goes black. Then it cuts back to JGL waiting for his target and it's Bruce and he kills him. Then it goes on to show the next 30 years and then Bruce comes back to 2044 and it shows his perspective from back from the top of this paragraph till when JGL falls off the apartment.

So what was the part where he gets shot by JGL all about? A dream? Or is it showing that since he killed him and closed the loop, there's 30 years left to live and when he is forced to come back to 2044, he changes the past by not getting killed?
    Two different timelines.

One occured first.. and it was a catalyst for the second timeline to occur.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    Two different timelines.

One occured first.. and it was a catalyst for the second timeline to occur.
    Ah I see that makes sense, kinda pulled a Donnie Darko on me there lol

Here is your prequel D-Rose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJu5VX972M

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Here is your prequel D-Rose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJu5VX972M