Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who's better?: Nets vs Clipper?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    He can't stop Hump apparently.

14.5/12.5 on 58% and Kris is 4-3 vs. Griffin on NJ.
    BTW.. that should say Humphries and the Nets are 3-1 against LAC the last two seasons.
    My bad.

Good college starter Kevin_Garnett_5's Avatar

Another person up for an Avatar bet?
    How many wins do you give them?

Love this!
    I'll give them no more than 45 wins.

Clippers. Net's only look good on paper. If they could trade their front court for an elite or close to elite level power forward then they would have real promise.

They need a low post threat that can really put up numbers. I think Amare would do better in NJ than NY. He'd be a player I'd sign for about a half of what he is getting paid now. He needs a point guard like Deron Williams to get him easy looks. He can't excel next to a first class chucker like Carmelo Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Garnett_5
    I'll give them no more than 45 wins.
    Oh.. NVM that's kind of where I put them.

You think 45 wins is 4th in the Atlantic?

Personally, I'm not drinking the Philly Kool-aid at all. They improved their long term outlook tremendously but took a step back short term IMO when they lost their leading scorer and 6MOY candidate (L.Williams), leading rebounder (Brand), leading passer and best defensive player (Iggy), all solid vets, and replaced them with rather young, untested, albeit talented, players.

I like Bynum but it seems insane the love they are getting. Bynum has to stay healthy, prove he can handle double and triple team and the pressure of being the man. Even then... Bynum, Kobe and Gasol were only on pace for about 52 wins last season.. seems a stretch that Bynum, Turner and Holiday gets close to 50, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Clippers. Net's only look good on paper. If they could trade their front court for an elite or close to elite level power forward then they would have real promise.

They need a low post threat that can really put up numbers. I think Amare would do better in NJ than NY. He'd be a player I'd sign for about a half of what he is getting paid now. He needs a point guard like Deron Williams to get him easy looks. He can't excel next to a first class chucker like Carmelo Anthony.
    I think Amare would look great in NJ too... as in away from the team.

But yeah.. who's to say they don't trade

Hump
    Lopez
    Brooks
    Any of their future 1sts (they have all of them)
    Any of their Euro-stash
    Cash
    Take back as much salary as possible

to land that upgrade up front?
    I hope they target J.Smith, Milsap, Jefferson to name a few.

Hump
    Lopez
    Brooks
    Any of their Euro-stash
    Cash

Lopez isn't a good tradable asset, he's a player with a possible dengenerative injury on a max deal in his first year of deal.

As far as Nets i think 42-46 is their range. Better only if someone takes a quantum leap (lopez, brooks, etc.) which i doubt, or worse if the team doesn't like Avery (which is why i don't like the Blatche pickup, Avery has enough new pieces to fit, including that dickwad in the mix doesn't help). Playoff mix though without a doubt.

I think though the common thought is the Nets are a lock playoff team, probable top 4 seed. Which i think is a stretch.

Hump
    Lopez
    Brooks
    Any of their Euro-stash
    Cash

Yeah I'm not fan of Amare either. As a basketball player he has a losing mentality. He's not really a low post threat either. I'm just saying that NJ has enough defense there and the right point guard for that to work. He doesn't have to look out for Gerald Wallace getting his shots. He can run pick and roll all day with Deron Williams and slack off on defense like everyone knows he loves doing.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Lopez isn't a good tradable asset, he's a player with a possible dengenerative injury on a max deal in his first year of deal.

As far as Nets i think 42-46 is their range. Better only if someone takes a quantum leap (lopez, brooks, etc.) which i doubt, or worse if the team doesn't like Avery (which is why i don't like the Blatche pickup, Avery has enough new pieces to fit, including that dickwad in the mix doesn't help). Playoff mix though without a doubt.

I think though the common thought is the Nets are a lock playoff team, probable top 4 seed. Which i think is a stretch.
    Where is this common thought of a probably top 4 seed?
    A lock for the playoffs sure.

Yeah I'm not fan of Amare either. As a basketball player he has a losing mentality. He's not really a low post threat either. I'm just saying that NJ has enough defense there and the right point guard for that to work. He doesn't have to look out for Gerald Wallace getting his shots. He can run pick and roll all day with Deron Williams and slack off on defense like everyone knows he loves doing.
    Oh no.. there is not enough defense.. esp not in NJ... nor in Brooklyn. That's our biggest concern (along with Brook's foot) by a mile. Amare is a worse defender than Hump or Lopez IMO.. not what we need.

Where is this common thought of a probably top 4 seed?
    A lock for the playoffs sure.
    You're reasonably pessimistic compared to the common viewpoint of the Net fanbase, the people on this board, the people i know outside of this board, and the media in general. Nets are rated pretty highly. Not that it's impossible but the range of expectations is closer to 3 to 6 than 4 to 8ish (which is what i would say). People expect the Nets to be good.

Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Gerald Wallace are not good defenders? I admit I'm assuming Joe Johnson is a good defender because he has always been a starter rather than a 6th man. He's not a good enough scorer to be an all-star. There has to be some defense in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    You're reasonably pessimistic compared to the common viewpoint of the Net fanbase, the people on this board, the people i know outside of this board, and the media in general. Nets are rated pretty highly. Not that it's impossible but the range of expectations is closer to 3 to 6 than 4 to 8ish (which is what i would say). People expect the Nets to be good.
    I feel like most experts have them 5 which is right where I rate them in the East.

Miami - 60+ wins
    Boston - 54 wins
    Indy - 52 wins
    NYK - 49 wins
    BK - 47 wins
    Chicago - 44 wins
    Philly - 43 wins
    ???
    I like Washington until Wall went down, so maybe the Bucks or Hawks.

My best guesses.

But otherwise..of course Net fans on a message board will over-hype their team. Just like Knick fans will and Celtic fans and Sixer fans.. etc.

Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Gerald Wallace are not good defenders? I admit I'm assuming Joe Johnson is a good defender because he has always been a starter rather than a 6th man. He's not a good enough scorer to be an all-star. There has to be some defense in there somewhere.
    I should expand.. interior defense is a major concern as is rebounding. Hump is a top 5 rebounder in the league and Lopez has at least been top 10 in blocked shots twice already. I fear the defense and rebounding Amare would bring.

I should expand.. interior defense is a major concern as is rebounding. Hump is a top 5 rebounder in the league and Lopez has at least been top 10 in blocked shots twice already. I fear the defense and rebounding Amare would bring.
    At first I thought you were saying Amare was a good rebounder and defender. The wording of the last sentence had me confused for a second lol.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Wallace is the only proven good defender in their main rotation. Deron, Johnson, Lopez and Humphries are all subpar defensively. I love Crash though and what he brings.