Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crossbow use to be legal in NY next year

A law has just been passed in NY that will allow hunters to use a crossbow during the REGULAR gun season next year. Before this law, NY and Oregon were the only 2 states where crossbow use was prohibited.

I have always been against gun hunting, I feel it is unfair to the animal. This will give another option for hunters during this season. You need to be within 40 yards to make a clean kill with a crossbow, with most not taking a shot over 30. Hunters are a dwindling minority, so if you have some interest get out there!

http://www.nysenate.gov/press-releas...d-law-governor

Default Re: Crossbow use to be legal in NY next year

Chewbacca approves

Crossbow use in NY is once again up for debate. Crossbows were allowed during the gun season the past two years but were not allowed during the regular archery season.

This provisional law expired so as of now crossbows are once again illegal to hunt with. There is a big push to legalize crossbow hunting for the ENTIRE hunting season. It is under debate right now and looks looks like it could go either way.

I know there are a few members on this forum that are against hunting. Everyone is entitled to their personal views. I for one grew up hunting and see it as a great way to enjoy the outdoors.

There is one point that I would like to make to anyone that is against hunting (but all for buying meat at the grocery store).

Crossbows are EXTREMELY accurate. Most models come sighted in right out of the box. Therefore as a hunter using a crossbow, you are MORE likely to deliver an ACCURATE shot on the animal. Thus increasing your chance of harvesting the animal humanely and safely.

That is the main reason I am all for legalizing crossbows. I will conclude my post with two pictures of fantastic crossbows from Excalibur, the top manufacturer of recurve crossbows.

Excalibur Ibex ($600)- I plan on buying this bow if the bill to legalize passes.

Excalibur Matrix Blackout ($1150)- For fans of the Walking Dead

Here's video of the Excalibut Matrix 380 Blackout (pictured above). It's a sweet bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2y0yH_aOWA

If the butts and grips of the crossbows look threatening then they certainly should be illegal. We don't need another shooting. If the stock looks less threatening the impact of the weapon is lessened a great deal

I see, getting ready for that zombie apocalypse

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    I have always been against gun hunting, I feel it is unfair to the animal.

I too have lost countless hours of sleep over this.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

If you think guns are unfair, have you ever went hunting with a compound bow?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52

I like you man.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Not sure what you're trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    If you think guns are unfair, have you ever went hunting with a compound bow?
    Yes I have. The main problem I have with guns is that you can kill the animal from extremely far distances. With a bow, even a crossbow, you need to be within 30-40 yards. A deer is more than capable of smelling/seeing a person at this distance.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    Yes I have. The main problem I have with guns is that you can kill the animal from extremely far distances. With a bow, even a crossbow, you need to be within 30-40 yards. A deer is more than capable of smelling/seeing a person at this distance.
    Dead is dead. They don't care what you kill them with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspah
    After reading your op I strongly feel a double standard arising.

Sure, guns are strong. Unfair to the animal, I see your point.

But then you say crossbows are cool, since they're more fair? Lol

A crossbow is basically a gun that shoots bolts instead of bullets. Gun is extremely more powerful, but that's the jist of it.

You should use real bows and a spear if you're gonna talk about the fairness in human vs animal.
    Nothing you just wrote made any sense. I personally like crossbows because of how accurate they are. Even though a crossbow may share some similarities with a bow, they couldn't be more different. They both have triggers and that's about where it ends.

The main difference I have been pointing out is the RANGE of the weapons. Crossbows have a max range of maybe 50 yards, but most people won't shoot over 40. Shotguns can easily shoot over 100 yards and rifles can go 200+. You really can't compare the two.

And I do hunt with "regular" bows. I started with a recurve and killed my first deer a couple years ago with a compound bow.

But a crossbow has a clear advantage over a compound bow.

That's why I'm saying double standard.

Guns and crossbows are more alike than bows are to crossbows.

I'm saying if you have a problem with guns, then you appear silly to be cool with crossbows since they're so similar to guns.

Crossbows and guns are way easier to aim. It's a trigger, next to your finger.

Bows are different.
    I think you just trying to force an argument. He said it, you understood it, you stated your believes yourself, and now off you go.

But a crossbow has a clear advantage over a compound bow.

That's why I'm saying double standard.

Guns and crossbows are more alike than bows are to crossbows.

I'm saying if you have a problem with guns, then you appear silly to be cool with crossbows since they're so similar to guns.

Crossbows and guns are way easier to aim. It's a trigger, next to your finger.

Bows are different.
    The vast majority of bow hunters use a release when shooting their bow. This is a trigger mechanism that hooks onto the string and allows you to tap a "trigger" to release the string. Regular bows and crossbows are more similar than you think. If you were a hunter you would know this.

Also I have no problem with the "look" of guns, my problem with them is the LONGER RANGE and the fact that they are more dangerous.

Once again I am talking about the RANGE the weapons can SHOOT.
    NOT what they LOOK LIKE.