Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Building a Team: Dwight or Alonzo Mourning?

Dwight. I don't agree that Zo was as dominant as Dwight defensively. Dwight Howard is probably underrated defensively by the fact that there is basically no other big men that are dominant like he is, but he is probably closer to the tier of Hakeem and Robinson (though of course not on that tier) while Mourning is closer to the tier of Ewing and Mutombo. Ben Wallace was extremely dominant but his dominance just didn't last that long.

As far as offense goes, neither really has that much of an advantage. Alonzo Mourning did have that little jumper, but he really wasn't all that much of a go to scorer down low himself and neither had any passing game. It's basically a wash offensively.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Dwight. I don't agree that Zo was as dominant as Dwight defensively. Dwight Howard is probably underrated defensively by the fact that there is basically no other big men that are dominant like he is, but he is probably closer to the tier of Hakeem and Robinson (though of course not on that tier) while Mourning is closer to the tier of Ewing and Mutombo. Ben Wallace was extremely dominant but his dominance just didn't last that long.

As far as offense goes, neither really has that much of an advantage. Alonzo Mourning did have that little jumper, but he really wasn't all that much of a go to scorer down low himself and neither had any passing game. It's basically a wash offensively.

'Zo was better than Dwight defensively.

Prime 'Zo today would annihilate Dwight.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-28-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Gotta go with Zo. He would be feasting on the hearts of today's c's. He was more versatile offensively, and i feel he would be more effective than Dwight in that respect. Dwight is a better rebounder for sure, and also gets the edge defensively, but its close. However Zo's defensive prowess would be exaggerated in today's game so I think its about even. As others have said Zo's intensity and leadership tip it in his favor for me.

Anyone voting for Dwight should watch this 'Zo tribute video and will then most likely change their mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMwuMPmtH3w

Banned

WTF NIKKA I know why you have red bars now biatch. This is a disgrace of a comparison and you're only underrated the great Zo. **** YOU F@GGOT NEGGED

Last edited by AlonzoGOAT; 08-28-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Why are people talking about Zo's leadership? What Alonzo Mourning was known for, for much of his career was losing his temper and blowing a gasket. I don't call that leadership.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Why are people talking about Zo's leadership? What Alonzo Mourning was known for, for much of his career was losing his temper and blowing a gasket. I don't call that leadership.
    You're a ****ing retard so basically he was at MJ level leadership? How is that not a good thing?

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I dont think their offensive skillsets are that similar. Zo had a bit of a triple threat game when he was on the Hornets. He always had a jumper. He was as good as Dwight back to basket....meaning...not elite. But effective. But he could faceup and blow by you a bit better. And that jumper he had early was nice as well. He didnt just make 1 game winner in the playoffs. He could just straight up look you in the eye and shoot an 18 footer.

I got a lot of Hornets games around then. Zo wasnt like....some elite shooting bigman. He wasnt even Yao. But he could make shots on a regular basis that would have people making a big deal about it if Dwight did it.
    I forget that Zo had a somewhat solid jump shot. I guess by similar I refer to how mechanical the two looked on offense. Nothing ever looked real natural or graceful.

I still like what Dwight can do more though.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I guess by similar I refer to how mechanical the two looked on offense. Nothing ever looked real natural or graceful.

I still like what Dwight can do more though.
    Wrong.

Zo was not mechanical at all. He was graceful with good footwork, and MUCH more athletic than Dwight is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Wrong.

Zo was not mechanical at all. He was graceful with good footwork, and MUCH more athletic than Dwight is.
    It seems because people assume that Dwight is a bigger he is more athletic then Zo for not logical reason. Zo was more athletic for his Size and It's not close and you have to be when you're a undersized Center. And I don't mean to actually think Joel Anthony is even close to the God power level of Zo but that's what Joel Anthony has going for him in center, he's pretty athletic as well

Prime Zo would be the best center in the L and a MVP candidate.

Zo had a jumper that you couldn't ignore. He was no D-Rob or Ewing, but it was good enough that he could drag you out of the zone and then use the triple-threat situation, since he wasn't immobile either.

His D was at worst on Howards level. Howard got an edge in rebounding, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlonzoGOAT
    You're a ****ing retard so basically he was at MJ level leadership? How is that not a good thing?
    When Michael Jordan got angry he wasn't taken out of games. When you got Alonzo Mourning angry you could completely take him out of games like the Bulls did.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Wrong.

Yeah he was mechanical. And no, "MUCH more" athletic? Are you kidding me? You either don't think that Dwight's athletic or think that Alonzo is the most athletic player to ever play the game.

Give me a break. A bunch of youtube videos doesn't teach you about a player.

Facts Are Misleading

Classic example of prior players getting overrated when compared to current players.

Dwight will get the respect eventually. He'll get his fair due being on a national and global team like the Lakers.

'Zo was a tougher competitor, and he had the Perkins scowl going. So I go with 'Zo.