Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Cavs fire coach Scott!?

Btw, here is a list of coaches and contract amounts...

http://sportsgmtalk.wordpress.com/he...acts-salaries/

Scott's $4.5 million a year is/was on the high end. If I recall correctly, Gilbert threw a massive amount of money at Coach K during the last coach search and Krzyzewski thought about it for a couple weeks before going back to Duke.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 04-18-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    It's not his fault the front office has wasted more top-5 picks than Michael Jordan (Waiters and Tristan are good don't get me wrong, but I still don't think they were top 5 worthy. Top 10-15? Yes. But not top 5)
    jeez, who are the 9-14 guys you would have taken ahead of tristan from his draft? or the same from dions draft?

both are about living up o their drafted spots

I very much doubt coaching is the biggest problem of this Cavs team anyway - they just seem miles away even contending for the playoffs spot and their best player seems to be made of a glass too...they are just too young and too raw to make noise at this point I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    I very much doubt coaching is the biggest problem of this Cavs team anyway - they just seem miles away even contending for the playoffs spot and their best player seems to be made of a glass too...they are just too young and too raw to make noise at this point I guess.
    just because something isnt the biggest problem, doesnt mean its not a problem at all, and not worth dealing with.

gonna be crazy if they get Mike Brown back.

It's also interesting that Scott was a good coach but now he's a bad coach. Or is he? Maybe he's the same coach...

-Smak

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    just because something isnt the biggest problem, doesnt mean its not a problem at all, and not worth dealing with.
    Thank God for some common sense. Take any team at any level - HS, College, Pro: It really does matter who's on your team to win, but what does it take to improve weak side coverage, help and recover, and any other fundamental defensive principles?

If you have a group of people who can't score a lick or are struggling to win, can you - at a minimum - get them to IMPROVE defensively? This isn't about being the best team in the NBA, this is about improvement. Many coaches "overcome" and you wonder how in the hell they're winning. That didn't happen here. It's a little unfair to Byron, but every fan knows what they're watching, and there really is no screaming reason to think this is a mistake.

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    TT broke a cavs record for ORBS in a season and was the second best Offensive rebounder in the league behind z-bo and a consistent double double guy at 21 years old, plus he has great intangibles. he was drafted on potential. Only bigs from his class you can make a case for are better than him right now is faried.

Dion Waiters is def. a top 5 rookie in last years draft. Don't really know what you smoking/huffing.

Grant turned two "reaches" into two very solid picks and you act like they f*cked their draft up? Did you watch this past season?
    Yep just about every game. Tristan Im more impressed with out of the two but Waiters I'm really not impressed with as much as everyone else seems to be. I mean he'll throw out a 20+ point game every now and then but he's too hot/cold for me. He'll have a great game then follow it up with 3-4 non existent games, then get injured, then come back and have some bad games, then another good game, then more bad, then injured etc etc. Like I said he's good but I think we coulda done better

[QUOTE=Tristan Thompson]Most women are interested in me, because I have dimples and I

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Btw, here is a list of coaches and contract amounts...

http://sportsgmtalk.wordpress.com/he...acts-salaries/

Scott's $4.5 million a year is/was on the high end. If I recall correctly, Gilbert threw a massive amount of money at Coach K during the last coach search and Krzyzewski thought about it for a couple weeks before going back to Duke.
    I stand corrected. I wasn't able to dig out a list of current coach salaries.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Yep just about every game. Tristan Im more impressed with out of the two but Waiters I'm really not impressed with as much as everyone else seems to be. I mean he'll throw out a 20+ point game every now and then but he's too hot/cold for me. He'll have a great game then follow it up with 3-4 non existent games, then get injured, then come back and have some bad games, then another good game, then more bad, then injured etc etc. Like I said he's good but I think we coulda done better
    Go back and redo the draft and Drummond almost certainly goes No. 2 overall, and would probably get consideration for the top spot. Waiters, to me, lived up to his spot. He'd probably go right around the same place in a redo.

He was definitely hot/cold for the first half of the year, but that seemed to correct itself in second half, especially in the last 25 games he played or so. He went from shooting around 37% in the first 1/3 of the season to around 46% in the last 1/3.

And, I think his ceiling is pretty damn high. The guy is still learning proper mechanics on his jumper and adjusting to the pro game, but is already a relatively lethal scorer. He also has better point guard skills than I realized coming out of college.

Tristan is exactly the kind of young player everyone should want on their team, from everything I've seen and heard. Crazy motor, athletic, great locker room guy and he seems to be improving with every game. That is looking like a very savvy pick.

I just heard an interview on 92.3 with a Joe Kotoch of probasketballdraft.com. He said sources inside the organization tell him the Scott firing was about personal conflicts between Scott and players, which created a rift with him and the front office. He also said the team had started to tune Scott out.

That's why the move was made. It had nothing to do with the team's record or anything else. Take it for what it's worth.

IMO Scott did fine.
    This team is on the up, but is currently just full of garbage bar about 4 players, and their best player played 59 games.
    25 wins is about right.

So yeah I'm inclined to think that there must have been some sort of conflict or similar.

SVG would be a good hire.

Until they address the roster, it doesnt matter who coaches them.
    Im surprised they let Scott go, what was he supposed to do, the team was tanking, ie TRYING TO LOSE. Now hes being blamed for shitty defense, good one.

Cavs will remain bottom feeders imo. Say bye to Kyrie

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Until they address the roster, it doesnt matter who coaches them.
    Im surprised they let Scott go, what was he supposed to do, the team was tanking, ie TRYING TO LOSE. Now hes being blamed for shitty defense, good one.

Cavs will remain bottom feeders imo. Say bye to Kyrie
    Byron was not asked to perform miracles, but do you think that he shouldn't be blamed for shitty defense? You can't win the Kentucky Derby riding a jackass, but you can take any five locals and teach them to IMPROVE defensively. We are the only team in NBA history to blow at least 4 twenty point leads in one season.

I'm totally fine with this.

We need a huge splash -- someone to adopt us and say "enough is enough", let me show this city how this is done.

Phil Jackson - Would he be intrigued by winning titles with Michael in Chicago, Kobe in LA, and LBJ in Cleveland? He needs 5 years at $10 million per. Kyrie stays, LBJ comes back, and other free agents come back. We need to make a huge splash or we lose our 2nd superstar and the franchise is in jeopardy.

This move tells me it's not okay to lose and stand there with your arms crossed. I'm happy. Now...shock the world Gilbert.