Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: Is Edward Norton a 3-trick pony?

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler

His new movie Stone will get him back in the game.
    looks like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Not all of those roles were great - some were "by the numbers". In particular, The Score and The Italian Job were lousy movies and Norton didn't do much to help matters. The Illusionist wasn't much better.

Anyway, this thread isn't a critique of his acting chops, more a note on how he's faded quite a bit from his very early peak.
    I realize they are not all legendary movies, but they are all fairly big movies. But even a movie like the score which wasn't great, I though Norton was great in it. The Italian Job wasn't anything all that inspiring, not bad but not great.

I realize the thread was more inteded to point out that his biggest and best roles were at the begining of his career. I was more responding to some people who posted here saying that Norton can't pull off a big role and hasn't been in anything to speak of. I would say his resume rivals any actor around the same age as him.

Quote Originally Posted by VishaltotheG
    looks like

Thats awsome

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    The majority of those movies are pretty damn mediocre, I don't see how you can call 12 of those great roles.

The only ones you could really argue for are:
    -Fight Club (let's be honest here, Norton gets wiped of the screen by Pitt in this)
    -Primal Fear (Good performance up until his characters starts showing the "crazy side", after which his credibility goes out the window)
    -American History X (too sentimental and preachy for my tastes, the movie I mean)
    -25th hour

That's four and that's being pretty generous.
    Even if you don't like him or like the movie, how can you argue he didn't do a great job in American History X and Primal Fear? Between just those 2 movies he was nominated for 19 awards and won 10 of them.

I can't stand Leonardo Dicaprio and don;t like most of his movies, but I can still acknowledge he is a great actor and plays great roles.

People Vs Larry Flint is great movie and great acting. Same with Rounders and Red Dragon. I'm actually not a big fan of Fight Club.

Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors. Way up there. I don't really even rate/rank that much either. You can't deny dude is a beast when he's playing the right role. Hollywood has butchered him in some films... I don't blame Edward for his lackluster flicks of late, I blame Hollywood. All the creative douchbags in LA keep wasting talent on lukewarm gimmick flicks these days.

Be more original.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    The majority of those movies are pretty damn mediocre, I don't see how you can call 12 of those great roles.

The only ones you could really argue for are:
    -Fight Club (let's be honest here, Norton gets wiped of the screen by Pitt in this)
    -Primal Fear (Good performance up until his characters starts showing the "crazy side", after which his credibility goes out the window)
    -American History X (too sentimental and preachy for my tastes, the movie I mean)
    -25th hour

That's four and that's being pretty generous.
    You're being very, very harsh and yet you're calling that "generous"? GTFO. The guy is incredibly gifted and versatile. He pretty much knocks every role out of the park (that I've seen). He's easily one of the top actors of this generation. He just hasn't been in any big movies lately outside of The Incredible Hulk.

Norton >>> Rockwell is the correct equation

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Anyway, this thread isn't a critique of his acting chops, more a note on how he's faded quite a bit from his very early peak.
    Well, then you should have been more clear. I can't really disagree here. He has faded a bit. He hasn't done many standout type roles lately.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Rockwell > Norton
    did this need to be stated?

Norton is not an elite actor but he is very smart about the projects that he gets involved with which elevates people's opinion of him because he's often in smart/edgy films.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Primal Fear
    American History X
    The People vs. Larry Flint
    Rounders
    Fight Club
    The Score
    Red Dragon
    25th Hour
    The Italian Job
    Kingdon of Heaven
    Down in the Valley
    The Illusionist
    The Incredible Hulk
    Pride and Glory
    Stone

I've seen all of the unbolded movies above, and I can't think of one movie where I didn't like him. Not all of those movies were masterpieces or anything, but in several of them he was the only thing that made the movie watchable. Down in the Valley, for example was only an ok movie, but without Norton, that movie would have been trash. Likewise with the Score. Norton stood out more than DeNiro in The Score. Its tough to knock on a guy who upstages DeNiro in a film.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

He was great in The Painted Veil

norton > dicaprio

NBA rookie of the year

Hulk was much better than The Incredible Hulk. Norton's a very good actor though.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    What are you babbling on about?

Deniro is an old man now, but take his full of body of work, this guy is as versatile as they come...have you seen Taxi Driver? Raging Bull? Brazil? Cape Fear? Jackie Brown?

And Denzel, once again you're out to lunch. He might play the hardened, alpha male types, but there's still a lot of nuance between roles which makes him the academy award winning actor that he is.

Then you have the nerve to include Matthew friggin mcconaughey in the conversation...

Stick to Anime and mirror poses, kiddo
    You're obviously angry that I called out your favorite actors for being type-cast actors now. Which is fine. The truth hurts, I'm sure, but don't pretend I said shit that I didn't.

I said his roles were one-dimensional lately. Nowhere did I say his older roles were all acted the same. Stick to reading pop-up books, because your reading comprehension is clearly that of a child.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler

His new movie Stone will get him back in the game.
    He sort of looks like Kenny Powers in season 2 of Eastbound and Down. Same exact facial hair and regular hair style. Except Kenny trimmed his sideburns.