Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back to Business

Default Increase vertical quick

Hey guys just wanted to let yall know how i have been increasing my vertical over the past month.i have been doing two things and two things only.wall sits and jump roping.wall sits for the hams and quads.jump rope for the calves.wat i like to do is wall sit until i exhaust my quads then jump rope till i exhaust my calves.doing both one time equals one rep.do three reps.im telling you people it works.try it and tell me your results.

Serious playground baller

Default Re: Increase vertical quick

I can see where this would work to a certain extent but wall sits don't necessarily train your "jumping" muscles. Combining them with a plyometric exercise like jump rope would help though.

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I can see where this would work to a certain extent but wall sits don't necessarily train your "jumping" muscles. Combining them with a plyometric exercise like jump rope would help though.
    Exactly.the wall sits are an isometric exercise that targets the quads.u have to have strong quads to be able to lift your body off the ground.jump rope strengthens the calves which helps in jumping but more so the landing after the jump.jump rope strengthens the ankles and calves and also is great for cardio and stamina needed for basketball.but trust me wall sits do wonders and are a very underated exercise for building strength in the quads

Serious playground baller

Wall sits are great for defensive stamina and will build strength but I think squats, dead lifts and cleans are where its at for vert. I may try to do some sits between upper body sets

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    Wall sits are great for defensive stamina and will build strength but I think squats, dead lifts and cleans are where its at for vert. I may try to do some sits between upper body sets
    Your right also.i dont have access to any gyms so i cant do deadlifts and cleans and squats.i bought a weight vest today to make my wall sits more challenging.basically my thread was made to target people who dont have access to a gym.but u should most definitely try some sits in between your workouts.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

I guess one of the reasons it's worked well for you is that it's activating muscle fibers (tension = strength || more muscle fiber recruitment = better explosiveness) for you that your body usually has a hard time tapping into. Well, either way, any progress is great. Good to hear this worked for ya.

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    I guess one of the reasons it's worked well for you is that it's activating muscle fibers (tension = strength || more muscle fiber recruitment = better explosiveness) for you that your body usually has a hard time tapping into. Well, either way, any progress is great. Good to hear this worked for ya.
    Your prolly right. Have u done wall sits?
    Wat exercises did you use to increase your vertical

What's your ethnicity?

Back to Business

[QUOTE=Lebron23]What's your ethnicity?[/QU

Im black! Y?

Saw a basketball once

wall sit help increase vertical jump to an extent and it does help endurance in defensive stance :)

Off topic :

hey guys how do you increase stamina and aside from wall sit what exercise help stamina for defense? appreciate the reply guys because that is 1 thing that i need to work on my stamina.

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by KokoWarzone
    wall sit help increase vertical jump to an extent and it does help endurance in defensive stance :)

Off topic :

hey guys how do you increase stamina and aside from wall sit what exercise help stamina for defense? appreciate the reply guys because that is 1 thing that i need to work on my stamina.

I usually do wall sits and then get in a defensive stance and move left to right.or shuffle left to right.

My middle school coach made us hold a defensive stance for 5 mins durin practices. It kills your legs and core

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KokoWarzone

Off topic :

This will sound ridiculously obvious, but it's actually tougher than one thinks. To increase stamina, I play basketball as hard as I can. If the pace of a game is slow, I play beyond the pace. I make sure I'm sprinting from spot to spot, as opposed to running medium speed. I also make sure I'm running back on defense in pick-up games and trailing fast breaks even when I feel like my teammate has a sure layup.

There is no such thing man, leaping ability is mostly biological/genetical.... its genetical fast-twitch muscle strings/ligaments/tendons in hips, knees and ankles which sepparates a 50" inch leaper from a 30" inch leaper who have done the exact same training their entire life...

I have a friend who is 5'11" and dunks on a 10 foot rim like nothing... he has never played any basketball or sports really and is very skinny, all he does is jogging....

What you can do is workout and get the vertical leap to the best of YOUR genetical ability.... and that you can do by doing plyometrics, sprints and squats...

But you CANT increase the power/size/ability of your fast twitch strings/ligaments/tendons to ever increasing heights... that there is genetical.... there is a limit in all of us.... just like you cant make your bones grow and become taller.........

Trust me when i say just simply play basketball, work on your game, skills instead.... that you CAN improve to ever increasing heights... THERE IS NO LIMIT TO HOW SKILLED YOU CAN BECOME, BUT THERE IS A LIMIT TO HOW HIGH YOU CAN JUMP....
    Last edited by pauk; 05-19-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Back to Business

Anybody can dunk tho if u train hard so pauk idk wat the hell u talkin bout.

Everybody cant have a 50 inch vertical duh but u can dunk if u train harf enough

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    There is no such thing man, leaping ability is mostly biological/genetical.... its genetical fast-twitch muscle strings/ligaments/tendons in hips, knees and ankles which sepparates a 50" inch leaper from a 30" inch leaper who have done the exact same training their entire life...

I have a friend who is 5'11" and dunks on a 10 foot rim like nothing... he has never played any basketball or sports really and is very skinny, all he does is jogging....

What you can do is workout and get the vertical leap to the best of YOUR genetical ability.... and that you can do by doing plyometrics, sprints and squats...

But you CANT increase the power/size/ability of your fast twitch strings/ligaments/tendons to ever increasing heights... that there is genetical.... there is a limit in all of us.... just like you cant make your bones grow and become taller.........

Trust me when i say just simply play basketball, work on your game, skills instead.... that you CAN improve to ever increasing heights... THERE IS NO LIMIT TO HOW SKILLED YOU CAN BECOME, BUT THERE IS A LIMIT TO HOW HIGH YOU CAN JUMP....
    Good sentiment, but maybe just worded a bit uncarefully. If you can't increase the power of your fast twitch fibers (power which is generated through how much tension you can make them create through signals from your nervous system), then how do athletes all over the world increase their vert? If one cannot increase the size of your fast twitch fibers (the muscle fibers which actually have the GREATEST potential for growth), then how do bodybuilders (I hate this <-- example, but...) and strength athletes gain ROCK HARD physiques? It's not all genetics man. Genetics, while it's true that you DO have a ceiling, is just a fancy excuse for people not to do what they can or SHOULD.

miggy: Well, I don't dunk (yet) but I'm able to consistently grab rim because I got STRONGER through a solid weight training program of compound exercises and also more EXPLOSIVE because I also do some Power Cleans (a GREAT olympic lift, and olympic lifts are some of the best exercises for vert increase) and hill sprints. I'm still on the way there, as I said, but I hop to be dunking by July. I just have to focus a bit more on training for the jump, because I'm currently training in order to gain muscle, cut fat, and be more explosive at the same time. It IS possible to do everything at the same time (don't let anyone else tell you different), but of course, when concentration is spread, it'll come at a more "balanced" (I don't like using slower) pace. Here's to getting better.