Thread: Jordan XX9

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Jordan XX9

I haven't bought a pair of basketball shoes in forever. It's been two years of Achilles' tears, so I haven't had much cause. But I wanted something just to shoot around in and maybe some light pickup. But my feet are so bad nowadays I wanted something high end performance.

I picked up these beasts over the weekend.

They're not a great looking shoe in my opinion (I like the Carolina color scheme). Although I've gotten a lot of compliments on them just on the playground with them twice. But man do they feel great. The arch of the soul is almost non existant, and it feels like my foot is freer to flex and torque, rather than pushing that force up into my ankles, which seem like they may just come off. They also have what feels like a thick neck up the back of the heel that really holds that part of the foot well. While the body of the shoe is a single bodied stitched unit, which gives it almost a slipper like feeling.

I looked at the Wall's too, which I really liked. And the Rose's. But I was wearing Addidas Rose's for both Achilles tears, and while I'm sure it had nothing to do with it, there was something of a psychological block from me getting them.

I also got a pair of these as a backup:

I was a little concerned about the funky soul on the XX9, and this was slightly more traditional, although still with that launch soul. I also thought they were good looking shoes. I liked the white Melo's a lot too, but they didn't have my size.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Jordan XX9

How much did the XX9's set you back?

I like the soles but I'm not really digging the rest of the shoe's setup - the material and design and whatnot. Glad to hear they're comfortable though.

Edit: After you mentioned the other scheme, I kind of dig how they look now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    How much did the XX9's set you back?

I like the soles but I'm not really digging the rest of the shoe's setup - the material and design and whatnot. Glad to hear they're comfortable though.

Edit: After you mentioned the other scheme, I kind of dig how they look now.

I paid 180 for the XX9 and 140 for the Superfly. It was about 20 dollars cheaper than I'd seen them most other places for each. It was kind of a weird stand alone foot locker in downtown New Haven. Not in a mall, so they seemed like they operated indepentently than the mall joints.

I really like the sort of unibody design of the upper. It feels like it's got no weak spots. But that may be just because they're new. A lot of times when shoes have those paneled sections, it feels like the shoe is starts to flop or flatten out on that seam. These don't feel like that.

This is that white Melo that I liked. It's got that split sole design with the launch pocket thing under the front pad that seems to be at the heart of the Jordan Brand design at the upper level stuff. I may actually order these. At my age, with the things I have to do in my life, and with the wear and tear on my body, I may be dead before I finish wearing through three pairs of shoes. Up until about turning thirty, I was running my feet right through the bottom of four pairs of shoes a year. Of course then it was problem because I couldn't afford them. Now I can afford them and can't play. Such is life.

Serious playground baller

have they done anything to improve the durability of the outsoles? I played about 5 times in a pair of XX8 and the front zoom came busting through the bottom of the shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    have they done anything to improve the durability of the outsoles? I played about 5 times in a pair of XX8 and the front zoom came busting through the bottom of the shoe.
    I haven't found out yet, but that did worry me looking at the. They're probably intended for indoor use only. And unfortunately I probably won't play enough to really find out.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I haven't found out yet, but that did worry me looking at the. They're probably intended for indoor use only. And unfortunately I probably won't play enough to really find out.

I used mine on a clean indoor court and they were great to play in for high tops but just didn't hold up. Hope the new ones are better if so I may have to pick up a pair

Looks good.

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv

as far as I know they have. I think the outsoles are stronger now and the air unit is better protected. the downside of it is, that XX9s don't feel as reactive as the XX8s or the earlier versions of the Superflys. The traction isn't as good anymore either.
    I've had my XX9s for about six months now and they hold up well.