Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Turning 30 in 2 months.. body breaking down

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    Also maybe you could use this time you were using to play basketball to accomplish some life goals. You be surprised on what productive things you can do with just an hour a day focusing on your family, life and career goals.
    Some truth there too. Sometimes, when I'm down with an injury, it's actually kind of nice to not have to think about how I'm going to squeeze basketball into my daily routine. It's freeing at times and like you said, it kind of opens the door to chill a little and let other portions of life flow a bit more.

i have a poem.

as you grow with age
    physically, you will degrade
    but mentally,
    you will transform into a young d wade
    penetrating the lane, scooping, up and under
    winning the championship of maturity and life,
    is the real world wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Meh, I'm turning 40 this year and I still play with the young guys.

30 is nothing; you wont start to feel your age until around 35...

Hmm, I dunno. Different per person, and a lot of it is mental.

Since I'm posting body them in every thread, I will do that again (even tho I already posted in this one.)

I have become even more immune to pain (unless someone elbows me in the face, which I think is wack.) Once you've been through enough real shit, bball seems like a joke. It's not as high pressure.

Kinda like dudes say... man if I could go back to HS with my mind I'd get all kinds of *****. Except with bball you really can play. Dudes might not even know how old you are unless you are balding or something. Kids still think I'm in college.

Again, it's the same issue as I said... 30 is a good age (for me) cuz you can still ball with the kids by using different tactics and you know enough about old man ball that you can withstand it from the old men and then bust their ass with athleticism. It's kind of like (more girl analogies...!) being 25-35 is that age where you can have a girl want you and her mom want you at the same time. GG. Enjoy it.

-Smak

Dunking on everybody in the park

Do you do anything else beside playing basketball? I'm approximately same age as you and noticed similar problems. Lifting weights and working on my mobility worked really well. I would advise against braces if the source of your knee pain is not an injury. If you play a lot your leg muscles - especially quads and calves - are going to be very tight. Your hip flexors as well, especially if you tend to sit a lot during the day. This can cause your knee to hurt.
    Visit a doctor or a physiotherapist to see if your knee and shoulder are damaged and then start working on the source of your pain.

I am 27 yrs.old. And i am at the best basketball shape.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    Dude me too! When is your Birthday? I've been out of the hoops game for a while. Switch to golf, you can play that into your 70's.... Also **** this guy^ Not everyone is built the same.
    Yep Golf is the sport to get into to break between basketball. I hardly ever play basketball anymore until some young 20 year old hear about my legacy and I come out a few times during the summer to put it on them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Meh, I'm turning 40 this year and I still play with the young guys.

30 is nothing; you wont start to feel your age until around 35...
    I hit the wall at 36. I was playing semi pro baseball just couldnt get it together still had some of the tools but it became work and my offseason work was getting too much.
    Basketball wise I could still play but the athleticism was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
    Its most likely just your style of play. As you get older you should be able to see the court better, read plays and have alot more awareness. (Bball IQ, Court Vision etc) Therefore you don't have to be as hard on your body.

Skills > Athletism
    I had to pick my spots I was still strong not as quick not able to physically take the mixing it up or putting the body at risk. Recovery was way too long plus all the other sports over the years like football, karate, surfing etc etc just caught up to me.

Just playing smarter, anticipation and seeing how plays would develop made things easier. Understanding body positioning and preying on the low IQ of other players becomes more important. Not having to make the spectacular play but the smart play will always get you picked early in pick up games. Finishing around the rim and having a reliable mid range shot and knowing where missed shots are going to come off at is the asset.

The key at 30 is to start giving your body ample time to heal and recoup. The more you push the body and it hasnt recovered the more it will start to fail you. Switch up your work outs in the gym from probably strength training to muscle endurance. Switch between those type of work outs.

Play smarter not harder. Also pick up a set of clubs in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Hmm, I dunno. Different per person, and a lot of it is mental.

Since I'm posting body them in every thread, I will do that again (even tho I already posted in this one.)

I have become even more immune to pain (unless someone elbows me in the face, which I think is wack.) Once you've been through enough real shit, bball seems like a joke. It's not as high pressure.

Kinda like dudes say... man if I could go back to HS with my mind I'd get all kinds of *****. Except with bball you really can play. Dudes might not even know how old you are unless you are balding or something. Kids still think I'm in college.

Again, it's the same issue as I said... 30 is a good age (for me) cuz you can still ball with the kids by using different tactics and you know enough about old man ball that you can withstand it from the old men and then bust their ass with athleticism. It's kind of like (more girl analogies...!) being 25-35 is that age where you can have a girl want you and her mom want you at the same time. GG. Enjoy it.

-Smak

BEEN THERE