Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

Default If Melo stays in New York, what should the Bulls plans be?

With Phil Jackson taking over the Knicks it looks like Melo could stay in New York. I think it's a stupid decision on both their parts. They're just a bad fit together. New York should rebuild again and if Melo really wants a shot at winning a championship, the Bulls next season would be perfect for him if D-Rose can come back and stay healthy.

Anyways, if Melo does stay in New York, who should the Bulls go after?

And don't give me any of this "they're fine as it is" crap. They're not. Even with D-Rose at 100%, this team isn't winning a championship. They need that other star like Melo or Kevin Love if they truly want to compete.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: If Melo stays in New York, what should the Bulls plans be?

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
    With Phil Jackson taking over the Knicks it looks like Melo could stay in New York. I think it's a stupid decision on both their parts. They're just a bad fit together. New York should rebuild again and if Melo really wants a shot at winning a championship, the Bulls next season would be perfect for him if D-Rose can come back and stay healthy.

Anyways, if Melo does stay in New York, who should the Bulls go after?

And don't give me any of this "they're fine as it is" crap. They're not. Even with D-Rose at 100%, this team isn't winning a championship. They need that other star like Melo or Kevin Love if they truly want to compete.
    No "would be" FA this year besides Melo and Lebron are worth amnestying Boozer for so he stays. The bulls offseason without getting Melo will look somewhat similar to this:

1. Resign DJ Augustin, Hinrich and Fredette.
    2. Bring over Mirotic for the MLE which is a little over 5 mill. If he wants 8-10 Mill as some reports suggest keep his azz in europe as we own his draft rights.
    3. We will have two 1st round picks probably between 14-20. Draft a Center and a SG/SF(Preferably SF because we need a mobile 6'8/6'9 player).

Where would Boozer fit in? If the Bulls were to bring Mirotic to the NBA finally and kept Boozer that would be 3 Power Forwards. Boozer has to go especially if Mirotic joins the team. Taj can start and Mirotic can come off the bench while he gets used to the NBA.

I want them to go after another superstar. They have to right now. Rose isn't leading a team to the championship especially as he gets used to playing again. Noah is good but he needs help. I want to see them go out and get that superstar this summer and try and contend next season.

Where would Boozer fit in? If the Bulls were to bring Mirotic to the NBA finally and kept Boozer that would be 3 Power Forwards. Boozer has to go especially if Mirotic joins the team. Taj can start and Mirotic can come off the bench while he gets used to the NBA.

I want them to go after another superstar. They have to right now. Rose isn't leading a team to the championship especially as he gets used to playing again. Noah is good but he needs help. I want to see them go out and get that superstar this summer and try and contend next season.
    1. Boozer will be your starting PF but his minutes will decrease. Right now when noah goes out bulls bring in Taj at the C position. When we do that next year we bring in taj at C and Mirotic as PF. We have to remember Mirotic is not getting more than 15 mins per game as THibs does not usually play rookies and yes Mirotic is still considered a rookie.

2. In terms of bringing in a Superstar, I do not see that happening this summer unless its Melo. We do not have the cap space and bringing in a superstar requires you to kill some depth. The only star this offseason worth killing your depth for is Melo as I do not think Bron is going anywhere.

3. After next season summer of 2015 is when the bulls will have the cap space to go after a superstar. By then we will have more depth and hopefully rose is over his knee ailments.

I say the Bulls put all their cap space towards getting Derrick Rose some cybernetic knees.

I'm so tired of hearing "just wait". It's no guarantee that Rose will be healthier by then. He could get injured, it's no guarantee a superstar will sign with the Bulls.

The Bulls have a good enough team right now and draft picks and guys available to trade that they can either sign a free agent this summer like Melo or go hard after someone like Love.

Noah is playing great right now, Taj is playing good right now, who knows with Rose but if he gets healthy and next season the Bulls have Noah, Rose and either Melo or Love, they're contenders.

I'm so sick of watching teams in the NBA tank seasons so they hope they'll have a good draft pick. This crap needs to stop. It's one of the reasons the NBA sucks right now. Lakers, Sixers, Celtics, etc. all tanking.

College superstar

I'm so happy that people are starting to agree with me; the Bulls need to do SOMETHING.

That said... If Melo signs, or wants to, great. Amnesty Boozer if needed to make room.

If no Melo...
    1) KEEP Boozer. He offers more value as a trade chip with his expiring contract than the cap room he would afford us. Unless we
    1a) Only change is if another top-notch FA is willing to sign... mainly Love, Lebron, Bosh.
    2) Trade one, two, or three of our main assets: two picks, Mirotic. All of those are unproven assets; if we can get some one proven (and good, of course), that puts us that much closer to a 'chip. Think... Klay, Barnes, Kemba, Derozan, Parsons... etc. I'd rather grab one of those players than roll the dice on picks in the 10-20 range, plus a Euro that no one knows anything about
    3) Bring Rose back slowly. Minutes limitations to start the PREseason, continue them into the season. Increase the minutes incrementally throughout the year, so that after the AS break he's playing his full amount. We've proven that we can win without him. The limitations provide two net positives:
    A) Rose can regain his game form and strength without the team relying on him too much, and
    B) Rose can fit in to our new offense, rather than upsetting/changing it

The last couple months of the season is our playoff tune-up... Rose and hopefully Noah healthy, playing together, Boozer has been cut/traded so Taj is in more, shooters spacing the floor... Think the same well-oiled machine, with one extra shooter, and Rose there in case the machine starts to break down.

Each off season there's some excuse as to why the Bulls can't add another superstar player. It gets so old after a while.

They're in such a good position right now that they can add another superstar to this current team and be contenders right away. They have Rose, Noah, Taj, Butler, Snell, Augustin. They can amnesty Boozer, they can trade some draft picks and try and trade for or sign another legit superstar.

I also agree that when Rose comes back next his playing time needs to be limited until he's 100%.

That's the one thing I can't stand about Thibs. He's always playing his star players way too much. He has to ease up. Paxson/Forman have to talk to him about this.

Amnesty Boozer.
    If we can't get Melo, I'll take bringing over Mirotic and signing Lance Stephenson. (Front load the contract so Pacers can't match without dumping salary)
    Resign Kirk and DJ.
    Use 2 first rounders for depth or package together to move up in the draft.

Rose/Hinrich/DJ
    Stephenson/Snell
    Butler/Dunleavy
    Taj/Mirotic
    Noah

For the draft, I'd say depth at center and scoring are the main needs. Cauley-Stein/Austin/Payne would fit that big man role, while a TJ Warren/Rodney Hood like wing could help the offense. Hard to predict players though, as we're clueless as to who will declare.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    Amnesty Boozer.
    If we can't get Melo, I'll take bringing over Mirotic and signing Lance Stephenson. (Front load the contract so Pacers can't match without dumping salary)
    Resign Kirk and DJ.
    Use 2 first rounders for depth or package together to move up in the draft.

Rose/Hinrich/DJ
    Stephenson/Snell
    Butler/Dunleavy
    Taj/Mirotic
    Noah

For the draft, I'd say depth at center and scoring are the main needs. Cauley-Stein/Austin/Payne would fit that big man role, while a TJ Warren/Rodney Hood like wing could help the offense. Hard to predict players though, as we're clueless as to who will declare.
    The offense still wouldn't be too great. But that's a really good starting lineup. I would like to see that. They would easily be the best defensive team in the league. The bench can put up points. I would keep Fredette for some more offense. Definitely draft a back up C and some more players who can score.

Quote Originally Posted by drwax26
    No "would be" FA this year besides Melo and Lebron are worth amnestying Boozer for so he stays. The bulls offseason without getting Melo will look somewhat similar to this:

1. Resign DJ Augustin, Hinrich and Fredette.
    2. Bring over Mirotic for the MLE which is a little over 5 mill. If he wants 8-10 Mill as some reports suggest keep his azz in europe as we own his draft rights.
    3. We will have two 1st round picks probably between 14-20. Draft a Center and a SG/SF(Preferably SF because we need a mobile 6'8/6'9 player).
    Have you guys seen UCLA's Kyle Anderson? He is atleast 6-8 and is very mobile and can handle the ball. I also like his teammate Jordan Adams who can shoot and get offensive rebounds.
    For SG, I really like them to persue Jodie Meeks. This guy has really been shooting the ball well this season.

The offense still wouldn't be too great. But that's a really good starting lineup. I would like to see that. They would easily be the best defensive team in the league. The bench can put up points. I would keep Fredette for some more offense. Definitely draft a back up C and some more players who can score.
    I agree, but unless the team signs Melo, it's going to be tough to really improve the offense (unless we hit on a draft pick). Lance isn't a poor offensive player either, he's averaging 14 a game. He can take a rebound and turn it into a layup/dunk on the other end.

I don't believe he leads the Pacers in assists anymore, but he is still very close to leading the Pacers in rebounds and assists. The other two players leading their teams in those categories...Lebron and Noah. I will say Lance turns the ball over too much, but seems like a great fit otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    I agree, but unless the team signs Melo, it's going to be tough to really improve the offense (unless we hit on a draft pick). Lance isn't a poor offensive player either, he's averaging 14 a game. He can take a rebound and turn it into a layup/dunk on the other end.

I don't believe he leads the Pacers in assists anymore, but he is still very close to leading the Pacers in rebounds and assists. The other two players leading their teams in those categories...Lebron and Noah. I will say Lance turns the ball over too much, but seems like a great fit otherwise.
    Both Trevor Ariza and Jodie Meeks are hitting above 40% from the 3pt line this year, both averaging 15 pts/game and work hard on defense.
    Courtney Lee is not as productive but shoots a pretty good 48.4% from the field, 36% from the 3pt line.
    Nick Young can create his own shot, ave 17 pts/game but is not as good in defense.
    But hey, Rose is the big key here, even if they get Carmelo, if Rose can't play atleast 90% of what he used to be, then it's not gonna matter IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Have you guys seen UCLA's Kyle Anderson? He is atleast 6-8 and is very mobile and can handle the ball. I also like his teammate Jordan Adams who can shoot and get offensive rebounds.
    For SG, I really like them to persue Jodie Meeks. This guy has really been shooting the ball well this season.
    I like Kyle Anderson's game a lot. He can handle the ball and is a very good passer. He is pretty unathletic so he will have to get by on his B-ball IQ.

I would not grab a SG in FA because we have butler and Tony Snell(who is a shooter).