Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Zone defense would be the key here. Make Pip/Jordan shoot outside jumpers, and you will win the game. Of course that sounds incredibly simple, but it obviously wasn't/wouldn't be. A poor mans Pip/Jordan was destroyed by the zone in 2011, so if you could do the same to the real Pip/Jordan then I could see a similar result if the shots don't fall.

That said at minimum 66 wins. No expansion teams, although the Raptors, Cavs, and Wizards are playing like it.

If the Cavs can get 66 then I see no reason that Bulls team couldn't do the same.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Hmmmm, gonna have to call you out on this. Shaq is my all-time favorite player, and I watched a lot of those early to mid-90s Magic squads (started watching the NBA in 91). Didn't see anything that would lead me to think this.
    Really? Not only do they have great talent, they would be the best frontcourt in the league. They would give mismatches with Penny as their PG like they did back then and Shaq is always hard to stop. Their defense isn't really all that, but they had more talent than the 90s Lakers IMO. The Magic would definitely be top tier as they were back then.

As for the Bulls? I don't know. Both teams, 96 and 97 could've won more if Rodman played a bit more. And 98 Pippen was missed 38 games, and they still got 62 wins with the injuries and old age. They might win the same amount if they played this year, or a bit less. Especially if the of 2010-11 Bulls could win 62 wins, I think the Bulls of 95-96 would do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Really? Not only do they have great talent, they would be the best frontcourt in the league. They would give mismatches with Penny as their PG like they did back then and Shaq is always hard to stop. Their defense isn't really all that, but they had more talent than the 90s Lakers IMO. The Magic would definitely be top tier as they were back then.

As for the Bulls? I don't know. Both teams, 96 and 97 could've won more if Rodman played a bit more. And 98 Pippen was missed 38 games, and they still got 62 wins with the injuries and old age. They might win the same amount if they played this year, or a bit less. Especially if the of 2010-11 Bulls could win 62 wins, I think the Bulls of 95-96 would do better.
    Again, as I said before they (the Magic, that is) would be contenders, but they wouldn't 'murder' the league IMO:

They'd contend, but to me 'murder' = they'd win 65+ games, and would be a heavy favorite to win every round in no more than 5 games (and would have to be a better than even money favorite in Vegas to win it all from the offset of the season).

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

In that Eastern conference? They'd still get pretty close to 72.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Zone defense would be the key here. Make Pip/Jordan shoot outside jumpers, and you will win the game. Of course that sounds incredibly simple, but it obviously wasn't/wouldn't be. A poor mans Pip/Jordan was destroyed by the zone in 2011, so if you could do the same to the real Pip/Jordan then I could see a similar result if the shots don't fall.

That said at minimum 66 wins. No expansion teams, although the Raptors, Cavs, and Wizards are playing like it.

If the Cavs can get 66 then I see no reason that Bulls team couldn't do the same.
    Zones get destroyed by good ball movement and teamwork. That Bulls team would've been pretty good against a zone, provided they get to practice against it a bit.

3-time NBA All-Star

You realize Jordan was one of the greatest jumpshooters ever right? And it wasn't the zone that beat Lebron and Wade. It was Lebron being shook as sh*t that lost that series more then anything.

That 96 Bulls team would absolutely kill in this league, MJ with today's perimeter friendly rules would be unstoppabull (pun intended). Today's league is slightly more athletic and a lot more BBall IQ retarded. The only team that would bother them would be Miami but the Bulls would handle them in 5. Rodman would have a field day with that marshmellow FC.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    You realize Jordan was one of the greatest jumpshooters ever right? And it wasn't the zone that beat Lebron and Wade. It was Lebron being shook as sh*t that lost that series more then anything.
    Making MJ shoot jumpers=bad strategy, I agree, LBJ and Wade are nowhere near MJ in the midrange game...if anything, body up on MJ and force him to drive in hopes of him maybe getting worn out at the end of the game, this is mid 30s MJ we're talking about. It's a risky move but a lot better than letting MJ shoot open Js.
    Last edited by TheMan; 12-05-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Zone defense would be the key here. Make Pip/Jordan shoot outside jumpers, and you will win the game.

That's as bad as saying, "make Bird shoot jumpers"

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

A little less. Maybe 68 wins.

I believe that year was the first or second year for two expansion teams (Toronto and Vancouver). Both of them were very easy wins.

But I don't know, there are less good big men in the game today, and that was Chicago's biggest "weakness". Luc Longley might even be considered a pretty good center today lol, but back then he was below average.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    A little less. Maybe 68 wins.

I believe that year was the first or second year for two expansion teams (Toronto and Vancouver). Both of them were very easy wins.

But I don't know, there are less good big men in the game today, and that was Chicago's biggest "weakness". Luc Longley might even be considered a pretty good center today lol, but back then he was below average.
    not that I agree/disagree, but....

Its as if people dont think when they post. Just for emphasis, the Bulls LOST to the expansion Raptors once in 96.

Again, one of the Bulls LOSSES was to the Raptors who were an expansion team

The Bobcats set the record for worst Win% last year. What makes 96 any less competitive?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

65-67 wins. They won't be able to dominate with their perimeter defense like they did in '96 because of all the rule changes and guards in general are better now. The NBA now is stronger than it was during the mid 90's - mid 00's. I also think with the 3 point line a bit farther now than it was in 1996 will hurt the Bulls.

They would win around the same amount, it really comes down to luck/circumstance to win that many games no matter how good you are. Winning more than that just doesnt seem possible due to focus issues.

But damn... the logic in this thread really shows the idiots. Its a different league/ zone defenses/ make them shoot outside/ blah blah... wtf. What team in the league today has even remotely the offensive execution that the Bulls had? What team is on par defensively with the bulls? Where is the logic in coming up with these conclusions?

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    65-67 wins. They won't be able to dominate with their perimeter defense like they did in '96 because of all the rule changes and guards in general are better now. The NBA now is stronger than it was during the mid 90's - mid 00's.
    Again. How would the rule changes hurt the 96 Bulls? I see no reason why they wouldnt be able to adjust just like every other player. And they would be able to move freely on defense because they would have to worry about illegal defense.

Not to mention anything they'd lose as far as man defense, they get back because defenders wouldn't be able to play them physical either.

And what makes the NBA stronger now than in the 90s?