Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Sources: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

for me the - so far - only good thing about the signing of Dantoni is that PJax didnt get the job. i know i am one of the few...

now i will have to wait and see again how a new coach works out. pretty rediculous 8 games in the season for a huge club like the Lakers.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
    for me the - so far - only good thing about the signing of Dantoni is that PJax didnt get the job. i know i am one of the few...

now i will have to wait and see again how a new coach works out. pretty rediculous 8 games in the season for a huge club like the Lakers.
    Ummm, he was a big part of this organization winning 5 championships!!!! Considered one of the greatest (if not the greatest) coaches of all time. Care to explain why you don't like Phil Jackson as a coach??

Local High School Star

oh, i respect Phil as much as anyone. i watched him destroying my Jazz 97 and 98. i loved the Shaq/Kobe years and i enjoyed the last two rings. that being said, i didnt like what i heard about Phils demands from the start. now i transfer myself into Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchek to answer your question:

there is a natural hierarchy, i am the boss and you as a coach report to me. and you cant come in and negotiate that. i would never let that happen. (and why should Jim Buss do? he maybe an idiot but he is the boss, if you like it or not.)

a simple NO to the nonsense with coaching only RS home games. if you cant do the travelling anymore, you are too old for the NBA. there is no chance i pay you that much money sitting at home while the team is on an 8 game road trip. thats where teams bond, where you see how they work away from home. Phil himself said so in one of the championship DVDs.

10-12 Mio dollars is a lot of money. plus he wanted Shaw and/or most of his old aasistants back. paying them and paying MB and his assistants, is a boatload of money. needs to be considered.

back into myself:
    for me those are big arguments against PJax, without talking baskteball systems and players. would i have hired D'Antoni? No way. I would not be in this situation because i would have hired Rick Adleman last year. ;) think about having Adleman, Howard and CP3? could have been.

Jim Buss and Mitch have to deal with the reality they created by hiring MB and now Dantoni. i think they made the wrong choice both times, but thats their faults and not Dantonis, so i will keep my feelings against him in me and watch what he can do with this roster.

oh, i respect Phil as much as anyone. i watched him destroying my Jazz 97 and 98. i loved the Shaq/Kobe years and i enjoyed the last two rings. that being said, i didnt like what i heard about Phils demands from the start. now i transfer myself into Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchek to answer your question:

there is a natural hierarchy, i am the boss and you as a coach report to me. and you cant come in and negotiate that. i would never let that happen. (and why should Jim Buss do? he maybe an idiot but he is the boss, if you like it or not.)

a simple NO to the nonsense with coaching only RS home games. if you cant do the travelling anymore, you are too old for the NBA. there is no chance i pay you that much money sitting at home while the team is on an 8 game road trip. thats where teams bond, where you see how they work away from home. Phil himself said so in one of the championship DVDs.

10-12 Mio dollars is a lot of money. plus he wanted Shaw and/or most of his old aasistants back. paying them and paying MB and his assistants, is a boatload of money. needs to be considered.

back into myself:
    for me those are big arguments against PJax, without talking baskteball systems and players. would i have hired D'Antoni? No way. I would not be in this situation because i would have hired Rick Adleman last year. ;) think about having Adleman, Howard and CP3? could have been.

Jim Buss and Mitch have to deal with the reality they created by hiring MB and now Dantoni. i think they made the wrong choice both times, but thats their faults and not Dantonis, so i will keep my feelings against him in me and watch what he can do with this roster.
    That's a good post. Myself I'm fine with Mike D'Antoni other than his name is a pain to type out on a phone. It's time to go another direction. Phil Jackson wouldn't have gone more than a season maybe two and you're back to square one looking for another hire. who know's who's available next time around. D'Antoni will provide long term stability at the hardest position to fill on an NBA staff if everything works out. No matter how successful the team might have become with Jackson that never would have happened.

back into myself:

This is a very fair post and I agree with all points. This was not only a basketball decision but also a business decision.
    *from my android*

As I see it, hiring Mike Brown and 'Antoni to coach this very expensive team is like a NASCAR owner spending a fortune on a race car and then putting a 12 year old behind the wheel then replacing him with a 17 year old and expecting to win.....it's just dumb, why spend the money if you are not going to get the job done. The Lakers with that huge TV contract could easily afford Phil and his assistants. Look at how much more money the team would make off extra playoff/finals games and merchandise.......not to mention tying Boston for most titles. If Phil were here for 2 years that's fine.....how long was Mike Brown here...lol. I'd take Phil in a heartbeat....you KNOW he can win titles.....and this would be his easiest year by far, he has never had this level of talent.
    As for the road games.....really, who gives a crap....it's all about having the BEST in the playoffs and finals.....I'll take the best playoff coach in history over a never been there coach any day. Chances of winning go WAY UP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    I find it amusing that people on here think because I liked Mike Brown, that it spontaneously just lowers my credibility every time I speak. I think its completely stupid.

All I know is Magic went 0-10 as an interim coach. What should I do DK? Give him a hug, a kiss, and a chocolate chip cookie with 100$ in an envelope for christmas? 0-10 is crappy. I don't care what kind of team you have. 0-10 back then is just as bad as that is right now.

And as I mentioned in the other thread Duhon played for D'antoni, Magic never played for D'antoni. Duhon therefore wins that one as being more credible of a speaker.

Your approach at attacking my posts are intended to show everyone how "stupid" I am when it comes to the game. This approach fails with people who actually read what I have to say and use reasoning to pinpoint why I may have said something. Bottom line, if you think starting a war against good ol' lakerfreak by getting everyone else to say "I AGREE BUDDY" or "WOW DK SAYS HES DUMB....DK MUST BE SMART", then just to inform you from now, I will continue to post my opinions, respond to every post, moderate without a bias. I love this game and am not going anywhere else to post.
    Uh......when you say Magic was 0-10 I know you don't know WTF you are talking about. Just like when I didn't say anything when you said Magic won titles without Kareem.......you read stuff but don't actually know the real facts or details. You are young, hopefully you will learn the game......I would suggest not trying to show off you knowledge of anything prior to 2000.
    Oh......here are the facts......Magic was 5-1 before the very poor team quit on him because he was too demanding, they finished the season on a 10 game losing streak. His coaching record is 5-11, it's too bad you don't know WTF you are talking about.That was damn near 20 years ago and you have the nuts to say he hasn't learned anything from it and YOU have surpassed his knowledge. I respect your right to give YOUR opinion but will not be kind if you come up with ridiculous stuff to bash a legend of whom you know nothing about......it's not an intelligent conversation. (No, I am not questioning your overall intelligence at all)
    Now had I been trying to embarrass you i would've corrected you on your earlier Magic related nonsense.....I let it slide, someone else corrected you.
    You are a good guy, I respect you.....but when you come up with such nonsense I have to say something once in awhile.....and you posted a ton in this thread. Showtime era is NOT your forte.

BTW.....I wouldn't listen to Smush's opinion on Phil any more than Duhon's on 'Antoni

Saw a basketball once WhiteMamba's Avatar

The offense right now with the Suns is looking hot

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Uh......when you say Magic was 0-10 I know you don't know WTF you are talking about. Just like when I didn't say anything when you said Magic won titles without Kareem.......you read stuff but don't actually know the real facts or details. You are young, hopefully you will learn the game......I would suggest not trying to show off you knowledge of anything prior to 2000.
    Oh......here are the facts......Magic was 5-1 before the very poor team quit on him because he was too demanding, they finished the season on a 10 game losing streak. His coaching record is 5-11, it's too bad you don't know WTF you are talking about.That was damn near 20 years ago and you have the nuts to say he hasn't learned anything from it and YOU have surpassed his knowledge. I respect your right to give YOUR opinion but will not be kind if you come up with ridiculous stuff to bash a legend of whom you know nothing about......it's not an intelligent conversation. (No, I am not questioning your overall intelligence at all)
    Now had I been trying to embarrass you i would've corrected you on your earlier Magic related nonsense.....I let it slide, someone else corrected you.
    You are a good guy, I respect you.....but when you come up with such nonsense I have to say something once in awhile.....and you posted a ton in this thread. Showtime era is NOT your forte.

BTW.....I wouldn't listen to Smush's opinion on Phil any more than Duhon's on 'Antoni
    Oh okay! He wasn't 0-10 guys, dont worry, he was 5-11. Much better.

It seems to me that you do not read before you comment. I said as a player he was a legend. That does not guarantee he would be a good coach or manager. If you one more time, mention that I am "bashing Magic" then that is my indicator you really don't read.

Keep in mind as well, since I am not directly quoting something, some information that I give is reported from what I can remember. For example, when you said that the Magic coached lakers lost the last 10 in a row, rather than my mis-read or forgotten info that he's 0-10 overall, it would have helped me understand more. But you can't seem to live without some sort of confrontation.

And yeah, you know what, I wasn't born in the 70's watching Magic and Kareem. Luckily enough, they put that stuff on TV for guys like me who didn't have the pleasure of being born into this time period.

What are you gonna say next, its my fault I wasn't born earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMamba
    The offense right now with the Suns is looking hot
    It definitely is. This was without the actual D'antoni being there too. Im excited to see just what he can do when he is coaching in the flesh.

My boy ron-ron had himself a monstrous offensive game. I think in this 100% free system, he is going to be a much better player offensively, which is something we as laker fans had been missing out on since we got him on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Oh okay! He wasn't 0-10 guys, dont worry, he was 5-11. Much better.

It seems to me that you do not read before you comment. I said as a player he was a legend. That does not guarantee he would be a good coach or manager. If you one more time, mention that I am "bashing Magic" then that is my indicator you really don't read.

Keep in mind as well, since I am not directly quoting something, some information that I give is reported from what I can remember. For example, when you said that the Magic coached lakers lost the last 10 in a row, rather than my mis-read or forgotten info that he's 0-10 overall, it would have helped me understand more. But you can't seem to live without some sort of confrontation.

And yeah, you know what, I wasn't born in the 70's watching Magic and Kareem. Luckily enough, they put that stuff on TV for guys like me who didn't have the pleasure of being born into this time period.

What are you gonna say next, its my fault I wasn't born earlier?
    First off, there is a HUGE difference between having your own team that you have taught an offense to and have started the season with THAN taking over a sinking ship bad team with 16 games left to play. I HOPE you can understand that. In addition Magic had never coached before and got thrown in at the last minute, he had a very aggressive approach that didn't sit well with the players who were already making their offseason plans. It started off wekk but after a couple losses, Magic laid into the guys and they just played out the last games. At that time, Magic knew the game extremely well and knew what he wanted the team to do but hadn't been trained in the type of people skills that a coach needs to have.....as in Phil's greatest strength....managing egos. Now to say Magic couldn't coach is being oblivious of the facts as I stated. I bust your chops because you try to talk about stuff you have absolutely no knowledge or understanding of......and worse won't listen to those who know more than you about an era before you were even a teenager.
    To insult Magic in saying his opinion holds as much weight as yours.....if you are going to make a comment like that you had damn well better know WTF you are talking about and not come up with 0-10 or Magic won titles without Kareem.
    If you want to argue a point don't bother with senseless, clueless points, stick to what you know and can discuss in an intelligent manner.
    Saying that oh, Magic never played for D'Antoni......lamer than lame, I didn't have to play for Mike Brown to know he was an idiot who couldn't coach and a terrible hire.....I didn't even have to wait for him to coach a Lakers game....I saw him in Cleveland, he didn't know wtf he was doing.
    All my NBA friends knew Brown was an idiot too and laughed at him......yet you were hanging on to him like he was suddenly going to sprout into greatness
    You posts in this thread have been so over the top I had to call you on it.
    I do think very highly of you but at some point I have to say something.
    It's all good bro.....no hate here