Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

Default Ok WTF is up with point guards letting the ball roll down court after they inbound it

I was just watching the Grizzlies/Clippers game and it's not the first time I've seen it but this was ****ing stupid. The guy on the Grizzlies let the ball roll halfway down the ****ing court before he picked it up. I know it's so the clock won't start until he picks it up but would someone from the other team at least try and run up and steal the ball?

Default Re: Ok WTF is up with point guards letting the ball roll down court after they inbound it

Sometimes PG's do it to call a play before the clock starts so they have more time to run the play. Other then that i'm not too sure why they do it.

My Pimp Hand Is Lethal Wonder Bread Kid's Avatar

Default Re: Ok WTF is up with point guards letting the ball roll down court after they inbound it

Quote Originally Posted by AI3Anthony
    Sometimes PG's do it to call a play before the clock starts so they have more time to run the play. Other then that i'm not too sure why they do it.
    It's for timing. That's it.

NBA Superstar

As you mentioned yourself, it's a time-saving technique. Letting the ball roll to half court when there's 10 seconds left in the quarter allows for more time to execute and finish, as opposed to a straight inbound pass that may lead to five seconds to work with by the time a guard passes half court.

Oftentimes defenses will apply pressure to disallow the inbound roll. However, just the same, lulling a defensive player into the backcourt could actually lead to an advantage for the offense, so the defense will often concede the extra few seconds saved in exchange for maintaining their planned defensive attack.

Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

My only complaint about it especially with tonight is that no one on the other team tried to steal it. The ball went halfway down the court and someone could have run up and tried to steal it.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

NBA Superstar

basketball 101, the clock doesn't start until a player picks it up.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
    My only complaint about it especially with tonight is that no one on the other team tried to steal it. The ball went halfway down the court and someone could have run up and tried to steal it.
    I think it's because it's a medium-risk, low-reward play. When the ball is rolling inbound, it's not as if the offensive point guard is letting it roll mindlessly down the floor. As such, to suggest the defense attempt to steal the roll is not particularly realistic. At that point, the offensive player would just pick up the ball and operate upon a defense that has suddenly extended itself and subsequently created some gaps by chance.

In a close game seconds are precious. Down the stretch you could be saving yourself 3 to 6 seconds which could be crucial.

If you (as a defender) have kept some distance, you can't run straight to the ball because the point guards in the nba are so fast that they're gonna pass you easily.
    Last edited by Miserio; 05-10-2012 at 12:59 AM.

BEAST

if you are going to be guarding CP3 whos doing that trick, i would advise you to stay the F back

Obviously, if the opponent tries to take it, they will pick up the ball before they can get there hands on it ...

Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast
    if you are going to be guarding CP3 whos doing that trick, i would advise you to stay the F back
    Have seen him bait guys into going for the steal many times only to blow by them and hit the pullup 3. Was a common sight in NO.

One of the other clock tricks I think teams with a lead needs to take advantage of is a running clock in the 4th. The clock runs while you take the ball out. If you take it out slowly enough 3-5 seconds can run off that aren't part of your 24.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    basketball 101, the clock doesn't start until a player picks it up.
    This is true in practice, but I recall hearing that it isn't the case if one looks at the rulebook, and that technically the clock should start when the ball hits the court inbounds. Someone a while back provided the section of the NBA rule book that deals with this.