Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: VMA's thread.

Banned

Default Re: VMA's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    So a subjective feeling of well being and satisfaction makes it ok to watch the NBA, but not ok for the youngsters watching the VMA's for the same reason? The NBA itself is celebrity-obsessed smut. And my point, which you missed, is the audience is mostly young people, Who, when polled, will demand the government absolve their student loan debt. And create more phony jobs for them. Raise the minimum wage. Expand healthcare. Do all this stuff for them. While they do what? Watch LeBron James and Kobe Bryant playing a childs sport?

Entertainment is entertainment, the same people watching the VMA's and talking about Drake, Rihanna, and Lady Gaga are the same people watching the NBA and talking about LeBron, Kobe, and Kendrick Perkins.

Difference is that athletics, in my opinion, are a performance art. They require talent, precision, strategy, and the fact they arent scripted can provide great moments of palpable competiive drama. They are not a denigrated bastardization of entertainment disciplines that used to be taken seriously, like the VMAs are. Youre right, its up to each person how they view the distinction. I personally view it as significat.

And I do believe there is a different level of satisfaction tht comes from seeing a really great performance, versus a MTV/TMZ sideshow of debauchery. Have you ever gone to a play or a concert or a game 7 and left the venue with your friends or your family or your girl on a total high because you just saw something that really wowed you, that really connected with you? I feel thats a lot more stimulating and satisfying on a personal level than watching Miley embarrass herself. But the majority dont think so and the numbers prove it. Most people will simply watch anything. Theyre just killin time I guess.

Im pretty passionate about culture so I guess maybe Im just an extremist about this VMA stuff. I really do think it rots your brain tho, figuratively. Its like a microwave burrito vs a fresh, authentic burrito. Theyre both calories in the end I suppose. One is cheap, very quickly prepared, the epitome of unnuanced convenience. But the other is more savory, more satisfying. You dont demand performances that feature harmonies from kick ass backup singers (criminally under-used today) or interludes with trumpet and sax and piano? You wont get it. We arent getting it and I think thats such a shame. That stuff takes time and money and discipline to orchestrate and work into the production. Networks arent gonna pony up for that if Joe Shmoe doesnt care any way. Hes ok watching Mileys pancake butt jiggle and gossipping about it on Facebook for the next two weeks. Ok. Hey hey what can I do? Thats where we're at.

Woe is me.
    Last edited by OldSkoolball#52; 08-27-2013 at 07:47 PM.

I could give a rat's ass about Miley.

Justin Timberlake's twenty minute medley comprising many of the biggest hits in his career was well worth watching the VMA's for.. As great as his singing was, he was as good as if not better than his back-up dancers in the execution of choreography while managing to hit every note. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that, Starface, since you seem to think the awards show was only about Miley's egregious display.

Because I know I'm not the only one curious about just how much ranting OldSchool has done in this thread:

But no, you don't care at all

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by airchibundo507
    I could give a rat's ass about Miley.

Justin Timberlake's twenty minute medley comprising many of the biggest hits in his career was well worth watching the VMA's for.. As great as his singing was, he was as good as if not better than his back-up dancers in the execution of choreography while managing to hit every note. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that, Starface, since you seem to think the awards show was only about Miley's egregious display.
    Sure.

I didnt see Timberlake, since I didnt watch any of the program. Unfortunately I dont have any trust in programs like the VMAs not to waste my time, so consequently I do miss anything that airs that may have been worthwhile.

Im actually not familiar with any of JTs post n*sync career. Thats not a knock, maybe hes great, I just never familiarized myself with his music. Theres some nsync and backstreet songs I have no problem admitting to liking. So maybe Id like JT but as it is I can only name the song Cry me a River by him. It sounds like his performance the other night was very well received, if I legitimately missed a great show that def sucks. Maybe Ill check it on Youtube if its on there when I get a chance.

Wont likely change my opinion that "entertainment" today is mostly about finding the hottest person willing to take off their clothes and then purporting them to be a "singer." Of course there are exceptions tho. There are always exceptions to everything. I would never say there arent.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Because I know I'm not the only one curious about just how much ranting OldSchool has done in this thread:

It's amazing how he still finds the time to learn Chinese.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low

Yes, disquisition is always best served stripped down and dry.

Such a pity King wasted all that time describing his dream, huh? If only hed boiled it down to a simple and succint "Do ya thang my [COLOR="Black"]ni[/COLOR]ggas!"

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Yes, disquisition is always best served stripped down and dry.

Such a pity King wasted all that time describing his dream, huh? If only hed boiled it down to a simple and succint "Do ya thang my [COLOR="Black"]ni[/COLOR]ggas!"
    He just compared his posts on here to Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. Look you guys.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Knicks101
    He just compared his posts on here to Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. Look you guys.
    What??? I didnt compare them at all. Mine was way better. Theres no comparison.