Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Jordan Game Winning Shots (article)

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan
    Lebron has about 75 in 8 years... In 14 he will likely have the same number of attempts. Is he always a ball hog in those situations or is your criticisms only reserved for Kobe?
    Lebron used to play them right. Now he's a huge ballhog on game winners actually.

Just like Kobe. They are both really poor at them given their talents. They take way too many shots and both convert them at a poor rate.

Thats why you are much better off with Dirk or Melo having the ball. They convert them at a higher rate and make better decisions.

College superstar

The fact that MJ only took 16 (or 15) game winning shots in the playoffs is the most amazing stat of all to me. To put that in perspective that's an average of only 1.23 (or 1.15 if you count just 15) clutch shots ATTEMPTED per year during his entire Bull's career. If anything that simply strengthens my position that the concept of being "clutch" as it simply refers to game winning shots is an overrated concept. Even the consensus GOAT hit said shot only 9 times out of his total 179 playoff games. I've always said that game winning shots are excellent highlights but just don't happen frequently enough IMO to warrant all of the attention they receive in player comparisons.
    Last edited by jlip; 05-16-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Colby Brian
    jordan has attempted 58 GW shots, kobe 118, wtf?
    they have played the same amount of games almaost and kobes has 2X more, somethings weird about that
    The thing is, Jordan was so good that his teams were hardly ever losing, unlike Kobe's teams.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    The fact that MJ only took 16 (or 15) game winning shots in the playoffs is the more amazing stat of all to me. To put that in perspective that's an average of only 1.23 (or 1.15 if you count just 15) clutch shots ATTEMPTED per year during his entire Bull's career. If anything that simply strengthens my position that the concept of being "clutch" as it simply refers to game winning shots is an overrated concept. Even the consensus GOAT hit said shot only 9 times out of his total 179 playoff games. I've always said that game winning shots are excellent highlights but just don't happen frequently enough IMO to warrant all of the attention they receive in player comparisons.
    Excellent point