Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man NLZ's Avatar

Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Bryan Colangelo , the guy probably thinks Rudy Gay is still referred to as Kevin Durant-lite.

Quote Originally Posted by zac
    Of course Gay is a way more talented player than Prince one on one, its never been about that, it's about what will fit in the system better.
    +1

This is what some people are missing. The Grizz could very well end up winning the 'chip with this move.

Gay was too inconsistent, didn't really mesh with the team, and was often a momentum killer.

Oh man I love the irony... Grizzlies absolutely get screwed in the butt and to make matters feel better grizzlies fans flip the situation around and instead of dwelling, they tell themselves that things are better, much better. This is just like the Lakers saying the season just started. Just shut up.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    Oh man I love the irony... Grizzlies absolutely get screwed in the butt and to make matters feel better grizzlies fans flip the situation around and instead of dwelling, they tell themselves that things are better, much better. This is just like the Lakers saying the season just started. Just shut up.
    Yea, Im trying to tell my self its better but I still cant accept that right now. They need to hurry up and play a dam game so I can see some real evidence instead of this speculation.

He's shooting 43% from 3 this year! I love this trade because I've always like Davis and Daye too.
    you know he wont continue to shoot 43%

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    I've always thought the Grizzlies were kind of the Pistons in the 2000s, balanced roster, good defense, very strong front court. The only outlier was Rudy Gay who is too inconsistent to be a leader.

Now that Rudy Gay has been replaced by Tayshaun Prince, this Grizzlies team got someone who has experience and can instantly fill in this balanced offense, defense focused team.

plus they got ed davis comming off the bench
    but a lot worse.

What's not to like? He has fundamentals,plays defense and can hit threes. And costs half the amount of Gay.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    What's not to like? He has fundamentals,plays defense and can hit threes. And costs half the amount of Gay.

But he's not Gay... He's not even close to gay.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

The Grizzlies got raped in this trade, plain and simple. Cheap a.ss franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    Rudy Makes $16mil this year, Prince makes $6mil so it's closer to 1/3 of what Gay makes. Rudy's deal also goes up the last two years to more like $18 and 19mil as well. Plus the Grizzlies have a huge $7.5mil trade exception now that could come into play, plus the trade exceptions they got from the Cavs deal.

Again, it's all about efficiency. This trade forces the Grizzlies to run through Randolph and Gasol, like they need to (the advanced metrics prove they are a better team when they do this), and they can make up Rudy's 17ppg by committee easily while saving a ton of money and surrounding the best front court (Randolph, Gasol, Arthur, Davis) in the league with shooters and slashers, not ball dominant guys who love running isolation plays. It just makes sense. Again, compare this to the 2011 team that shocked everyone:

Then------Now
    Conley=Conley (better shooter now though)
    Allen=Allen
    Battier<Prince (especially at scoring)
    Randolph>Randolph (all star both these years)
    Gasol<Gasol

Vasquez<Bayless, Wroten
    OJ Mayo>Chris Johnson
    Sam Young< Quincy Pondexter
    Darrell Arthur=Darrell Arthur
    Leon Powe<<<<Ed Davis
    Last edited by zac; 01-31-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Once Prince gert used to the system they could be good. what they needed is a role player who can defend , shoot threes and bring so much needed leadership and great example of a championship experience.

There hasn't been an official date but I'm guessing Pondexter will be back after All Star Break. Chris Johnson from the d-league (6'6" rookie G/F out of Dayton) is the Ellington replacement. The front office knew what it was doing, they got him for nothing. At one point like a week before he was traded Ellington had made 35 3s for the grizzlies and 13 came in 2 games. He was very inconsistent and not a good defender and has a slow release. Chris Johnson. Has better size, athleticism, is a better defender, and has a quick lefty release and shoots with all the confidence in the world. He produces what Ellington does in way less minutes and on a super cheap contract. Total Hollinger move.
    I've been really impressed with Chris Johnson. It's only been a few games but he looks like he belongs in the rotation which isn't easy to do on a 10 day contract on a top team. It's hard to believe he was undrafted with that athleticism and shooting ability. The Griz should definitely sign him for the rest of the season.

I think Prince is an amazing fit for the Griz. Pairing him with Tony Allen will make for one of the most feared perimeter defenses in the league and allow them to play a grind it out pace which suits their roster.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigVeto
    Tayshaun "The Prison Guard" Prince is a great defensive player.
    yea 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    I've been really impressed with Chris Johnson. It's only been a few games but he looks like he belongs in the rotation which isn't easy to do on a 10 day contract on a top team. It's hard to believe he was undrafted with that athleticism and shooting ability. The Griz should definitely sign him for the rest of the season.

I think Prince is an amazing fit for the Griz. Pairing him with Tony Allen will make for one of the most feared perimeter defenses in the league and allow them to play a grind it out pace which suits their roster.
    I've been very impressed with him. They have to decide by Friday to give him another 10 day or not. Jason Levien (CEO) said they will be deciding that soon. They like him alot though, they will probably do the 2nd 10 day just to keep the roster flexible and then go from there at the end of the 2nd 10 day. I hope he sticks though, you can always use athletic wings that can shoot 3s and he'd be super cheap.

I have supported Rudy in the past, but this trade does make sense. We have the worst 4th quarter offense in the league. In times where we win in 4th quarter, zbo has taken the load. When we lose, Rudy takes twice as many shots as zbo and more than zbo and Marc combined. I've been waiting for Rudy to blossom, but it's just a pipe dream. He can create his own shot, but it doesn't matter if the shot he's creating doesn't go in. Prince fits the system and Davis solidifies us as the best 4 man big man rotation. All we are losing is an inefficient 17ppg 6rbds and lackluster defense, all while saving money for now and the future. He was going to be traded by next year anyway. He has more value with 2-3 seasons for another team as opposed to one year and a player option next year. We will now be forced to feed Marc and zach more

As stated as well we have a 7.5million trade exception. We also have $ to resign TA and other options in the summer.