Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star John Smith's Avatar

Default Derrick Rose flashes gang sign in picture

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5071388.story

He's a G.D. That's the fork he's throwing up for the Folk Nation.

Default Re: Derrick Rose Gang Bangs

Time to leave that alone. You made it out. You got millions. Quit messing around with nonsense.

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    Time to leave that alone. You made it out. You got millions. Quit messing around with nonsense.
    Agreed. This is the one drawback to him playing in Chicago. Doesn't help, too, that it seems like the half of the city not run by Daley is run by gangs. Barack needs to come back and fix things up just for Rose's sake.

Root Of All Evil

This doesn't mean Rose is a damn G.D.

He grew up in a neighborhood where the G.D.'s originate from ... and I'm sure he knows many people who are G.D.s He could just be fooling around in the photo with a bunch of people he knows. Doesn't mean he's an actual banger. Also, I wouldn't be suprised if G.D.s had watched the back of their neighborhood sports star while he was growing up, making sure no one ****ed with him.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions off this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh

He grew up in a neighborhood where the G.D.'s originate from ... and I'm sure he knows many people who are G.D.s He could just be fooling around in the photo with a bunch of people he knows. Doesn't mean he's an actual banger. Also, I wouldn't be suprised if G.D.s had watched the back of their neighborhood sports star while he was growing up, making sure no one ****ed with him.
    That's what Reggie was for.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Smh.... they never learn do they?

Also.... before old school fans chime in and say... "Today's players ____"

This has been a problem for a long time, dating back to the 70s when players were also associated with gambling, drug dealers, pimps etc.etc.

Matter of fact, some of our most beloved heroes have had ties with alleged criminals.

But the difference between then and now is that in a 24 hour news world, this sorta thing can hurt a player's career and image more.

So is it worth the risk?

I say f*ck the hood and leave all those elements behind.

The names of pro athletes that have had their career damaged due to their off the court affiliations is endless.

But for those that are still stubborn I have one name for you:

Michael Vick

Now...... is your career, family well being and possibly life worth it?

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    That's what Reggie was for.

Yeah, that doesn't mean GD's couldn't have played their own involvement as well.

You can't be serious, with this?

Don't shoot the messenger Samurai Brick. The Chicago Tribune wrote it, not me!

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

Agreed. Melo did the same sh*t with some old neighborhood friends and he got flamed it. He has turned out to be ok so far, so I am pretty sure it is just Derrick fooling around. He is also very young so he will grow out of it.

His brother was very protective of him and did not want him to go the same way other Chicago ballers like Ben Wilson and Ronnie Fields went, so I could see your point of reasoning on the protection part.

Root Of All Evil

Let's all get on our jump to conclusions mat of a pic of Rose at a party, where he visibly looks alittle toasted. Oh NOES ... he has weed leaves on his shirt as well.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

So what.

If you know how the gang mentality is, he's guilty by association.... PERIOD.

If I grow up around El Segundo I'm automatically associated with them by authorities and other gang members.

I can have a brief encounter with them (since they're my neighbors) but that'll be translated as being one of them, no matter what my say is in the matter.

I really hope that was an old pic and I really hope he disassociates himself from many of those that can bring him down.

There is NO reason to be around those elements.......NONE.

If they really care about him, then they'd understand and stay out of his life for his sake. If they continue to be around him, then they should abandon all of that life and not get him involved whatsoever.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    Don't shoot the messenger Samurai Brick. The Chicago Tribune wrote it, not me!
    They also didn't come out and label him a banger. It's a shocking picture, no doubt. But we have no context of what is actually going on with it.

Dude, when I lived near the west side of Chicago and went to play pick up in predominately bad neighborhoods. I made friends with people who were G.D.s, Latin Kings, Vicelords, etc. I was FRIENDS with them. And I would throw up their signs as a joke, and they'd laugh and be cool with it.

If someone took a snap shot of me throwing up a sign, would I officially be a member?

Like I said, there is no doubt in my mind he has affiliations, friends or knows "folks" who are bangers ... that doesn't make him a banger. Nor does it mean he takes part int hat lifestyle.

Not airballing my layups anymore Dwight Shrute's Avatar

Am I the only one who expected something TOTALLLLY different when I opened the thread

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Shrute
    Am I the only one who expected something TOTALLLLY different when I opened the thread

Local High School Star Geandily's Avatar

Derrick Rose photo controversy

By David Heinzmann | Tribune staff report
    June 12, 2009

WHAT THE ****?