Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Grinder's Final Mock Draft

I stopped writing reasons after the first 12 picks because I'm sure I'll make several changes before the draft. The player comparisons aren't best/case worst case scenarios, but my personal opinion on who the player will most similarly project to be in the NBA. I predicted more accurately than DraftExpress, Chad Ford, and NBAdraft last year and it'll be fun to see if I can do it again. Second round to come soon.

1. New Orleans - Anthony Davis
    This one's a no brainer. Davis has been the consensus number one pick for quite a while now and deservedly so. His combination of defensive instincts, physical attributes, and offensive potential give him all the makings of a future franchise player.
    Comparison: Serge Ibaka/Kevin Garnett hybrid

2. Charlotte - Thomas Robinson
    There's only one word to accurately describe the Bobcats: terrible. They're in no position to be drafting out of need and could use upgrades at every position. There's a lot of directions the Bobcats could go here but ultimately I think they end up with Thomas Robinson. He's one of the most NBA ready players in the draft and his size and athleticism coupled with his great motor makes him a solid pick at the number two spot.
    Comparison: Antonio McDyess

3. Washington - Bradley Beal
    The Wizards added some much needed veteran experience to their roster with the acquisitions of Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor and filled a few needs in the process. With the addition of Ariza and both first round picks last year being small forwards who can't really shoot, finding the ideal back court mate for John Wall in Beal seems like the right move. Beal's ability to stretch the floor, play bigger than his size suggests, defend and rebound allows him to impact the game in many different ways.
    Comparison: Eric Gordon

4. Cleveland - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Cleveland needs a bonafide wing player to build their core along with their two top five picks in 2011, Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson. Should MKG fall into their laps, the Cavs shouldn't hesitate for even second before selecting him. He may have been overshadowed by his more talented teammate at Kentucky but Gilchrist's motor, transition game, and perimeter defensive ability is unmatched by anyone in this draft. This kid has winner written all over him and I can't see the Cavs passing him up if he's available.
    Comparison: Gerald Wallace

5. Sacramento - Andre Drummond
    Drummond is the biggest enigma in the draft. He's got some of the best physical tools you'll ever see in a big man and his athleticism suggests that he should be a dominant player, yet when you watch his games at UConn, you notice large portions of the game where he's a total non-factor. Drummond's motor and desire to become a great player have come into question and are legitimate concerns. That being said, even if his offensive game doesn't come around, slotting him next to DeMarcus Cousins seems far too enticing to not explore. Drummond has serious potential on the defensive end and would really complement Cousins' game well.
    Comparison: DeAndre Jordan

6.Portland - Harrison Barnes
    The Blazers need a point guard and a center but with Nicolas Batum likely to receive some big money offers and Barnes being the best player available, he makes sense at this spot. Barnes never quite lived up to the massive hype he had entering North Carolina despite sporadically showing flashes of his talent. Barnes had an incredible showing at the draft combine which should help quell concerns about his athleticism. Barnes can already shoot and play off the ball better than most wing players and could ultimately develop into the star player many believe he's capable of becoming.
    Comparison: Luol Deng

7. Golden State - Dion Waiters
    Perhaps no player's stock has risen quite as rapidly as Dion Waiters. Waiters has a reputation as a lights out scorer but is a bit undersized for the 2 spot but has nowhere near the court vision required to play the point full time. Waiters was confined to a bench role at Syracuse but Jim Boheim still seems to be very complimentary of him. I've heard Dwyane Wade comparisons for Waiters but I just don't see it. Waiters could be a great slasher who will benefit greatly from Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson's ability to stretch the floor.
    Comparison: Rodney Stuckey (better shooter)

8. Toronto - Damian Lillard
    Playing his college ball at the mid major level for Weber State, Lillard was one of the few prospects I didn't know much about until this year. After watching extensive game film on him, it's easy to see why many NBA scouts believe this guy can become a big time player. Lillard has phenomenal scoring instincts and athleticism. He's a scoring point guard in the mold of Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose and is similarly sized. There's some question marks on Lillard's defense and court vision, but the Raptors could greatly benefit from a dynamic scoring guard who can stretch the floor and put the ball in the hoop. With Jose Calderon entering the final year of his contract, Lillard can immediately step in and become the Raptors point guard of the future.
    Comparison: 6'3" Will Bynum

9. Detroit - John Henson
    With Greg Monroe, Rodney Stuckey, Tayshaun Prince, and Brandon Knight looking to be around for the foreseeable future in Motown, finding a rangy defensive player to put alongside their big man is goal. Henson isn't very athletic and considerably weaker than the average power forward, but he more than makes up for it with his monster wingspan and shot blocking instincts. Henson has improved his offensive game and has developed a solid turnaround jumper making him a factor on both ends of the floor.
    Comparison: Larry Sanders/Ekpe Udoh

10. New Orleans - Austin Rivers
    New Orleans real drafting begins at the 10 spot where they'll have a plethora of options and various directions they could go in. Locking up Eric Gordon will be the offseason priority for the Hornets but that probably won't stop them from taking the best player available at this point rather than drafting out of need.
    Comparison: Jamal Crawford

11. Portland - Tyler Zeller
    It's not often that a legit 7 footer with a very polished offensive game, runs the floor well, and has several years of high major experience is available outside of the top 10. A lot seems to be made of what he can't do rather than what he excels at. Zeller can play in the post and allow Aldridge to knock down jumpers or protect the paint, rebound, and knock down mid range Js while Aldridge operates in the post. The Blazers have traditionally had luck drafting big men but they need a center badly and Zeller is going to be a good one for a long time.
    Comparison: Roy Hibbert (more athletic)

12. Houston - Terrence Ross
    The draft will probably become sloppy from this point on with Houston likely trading a couple of their picks to move up so no summaries will be posted from this point on until the fog clears set closer to the draft.
    Comparison: Richard Hamilton

13. Phoenix - Jeremy Lamb
    Comparison: Nicolas Batum

14. Milwaukee - Meyers Leonard
    Comparison: Spencer Hawes

15. Philadelphia - Terrence Jones
    Comparison: Al Harrington

16. Houston - Moe Harkless
    Comparison: Shane Battier

17. Dallas - Perry Jones
    Comparison: Tim Thomas

18. Houston - Kendall Marshall
    Comparison: Andre Miller

19. Orlando - Arnett Moultrie
    Comparison: Jason Thompson

20. Denver - Jared Sullinger
    Comparison: Glen Davis (better version)

21. Boston - Royce White
    Comparison: Boris Diaw

22. Boston - Andrew Nicholson
    Comparison: David West

23. Atlanta - Quincy Miller
    Comparison: Jeff Green

24. Cleveland - Fab Melo
    Comparison: Desagana Diop

25. Memphis - Tony Wroten
    Comparison: Tyreke Evans

26. Indiana - Jeff Taylor
    Comparison: Wesley Matthews

27. Miami - Miles Plumlee
    Comparison: Ryan Hollins

28. Oklahoma City - Evan Fournier
    Comparison: Francisco Garcia

29. Chicago - Tyshawn Taylor
    Comparison: Mario Chalmers

30. Golden State - Kyle O'Quinn
    Comparison: Larry Sanders

A better formatted version can be found here.
    Last edited by Grinder; 06-28-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Default Re: Grinder's Final Mock Draft

if fab melo's comparison is desagana diop they you should know cleveland won't be taking him

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    if fab melo's comparison is desagana diop they you should know cleveland won't be taking him
    I actually think Melo could become a really good defensive player. I just question his work ethic and understanding of the game. In the mid 20s, he could end up being a really good pick if he can learn some things from his countryman Varejao.

so by nba comparisons, there is only potential for 1 superstar in anthony davis? i thought this was supposed to be a strong draft? or did they mean deep. because mcdyess, sure hes a nice player but no superstar. eric gordon has potential too.

i wouldnt mind deandre, gwallace, or deng on my teams but as top 10 picks i'd want studs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I disagree with the GS pick the most out of them all. I don't know why they'd draft another wing.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Hope Harrison Barnes is a stud, got a card redemption for the #6th

ILL WILL RUNS NYC WhySoInsecure?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    so by nba comparisons, there is only potential for 1 superstar in anthony davis? i thought this was supposed to be a strong draft? or did they mean deep. because mcdyess, sure hes a nice player but no superstar. eric gordon has potential too.

i wouldnt mind deandre, gwallace, or deng on my teams but as top 10 picks i'd want studs.
    They say that every year.

This draft is full of hit or miss guys. A bunch of the guys slotted to get pick in the late teens could end up being as good if not better than whoever ends up going 2-5. You pretty much have a bunch of underachievers who could really step it up if they end up in the right position.

Perry Jones, Sullinger, Quincy Miller, Tony Wrotten,Terrence Jones, Austin Rivers, Henson, Lamb, Barnes, Drummond all at one point seemed like can't miss prospects but right now there's no telling what you'll get from them.

Then you have the guys have been solid but don't have the crazy upside. Guys like Gilchrist, Lillard, Zeller and I'd even make an argument for Robinson.

Even Davis isn't a sure shot.

T-Rob will be a superstar. He has everything for it. The sad past, the name, the body, the will to, the confidence etc.

It's 99% sure.

Expecting only studs in the top 10 is very unrealistic.
    I don't think any draft from the past fits that profile.

Banned

There's no way Kendall Marshall falls to #18.

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    There's no way Kendall Marshall falls to #18.
    Yes there is a way.

I disagree with the GS pick the most out of them all. I don't know why they'd draft another wing.
    Take best talent over need. And figure it out later. GSW has been linked to trades. Having a young prospect be it Klay Thompson or Waiters can be enough to get someone to eat a bad contract all the while you get what you want in return.

I hope Sixers go this route at 15.

Ross is the one guy I'm going to really keep my eye on. Think he can explode and become a legit All-Star for the majority of his career.

I will be a very happy man if raptors grab Lillard or Waiters

Decent playground baller v1ncelis's Avatar

I would be really happy if Blazers can somehow manage to get Drummond at 6 and Lillard at 11.

Good High School Starter

I really can't see SAC taking Drummond. We'll see!