Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense

I found this very interesting. I personally think it definitely is a move in the right direction as far as teamwork is concerned, but I don't know if this team is built correctly for that sort of system. I know just the general things about the offense; I know it is a pass-first sort of offense. Everyone on the field gets involved in almost constant passing the ball until you find the open man. The only thing is that I don't know how it would work with two big men in the post area and Artest, who is VERY inconsistent 3pt shooter to say the least. Kobe is also streaky on his perimeter 3pt shooting. Nash is the only truly consistent perimeter shooter. Bynum doesn't have the range to step out into the high-post to shoot.

Thoughts?

In addition to Nash manning the point, the Lakers' offense should look significantly different next season, as the team is contemplating running a Princeton-style offense and has been in contact with former Nets and Wizards coach Eddie Jordan to fill assistant Quin Snyder's place on the staff.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...cated-gym-rats

Default Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I found this very interesting. I personally think it definitely is a move in the right direction as far as teamwork is concerned, but I don't know if this team is built correctly for that sort of system. I know just the general things about the offense; I know it is a pass-first sort of offense. Everyone on the field gets involved in almost constant passing the ball until you find the open man. The only thing is that I don't know how it would work with two big men in the post area and Artest, who is VERY inconsistent 3pt shooter to say the least. Kobe is also streaky on his perimeter 3pt shooting. Nash is the only truly consistent perimeter shooter. Bynum doesn't have the range to step out into the high-post to shoot.

Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...cated-gym-rats
    You couldn't run a pure Princeton offense in the NBA, it wouldn't work at all, it's too time consuming/ major clock eater plus it requires too much useless running around by the bigs, this risks taking them away from the boards. Unless you tweaked the hell out of it's not going to be of any help. This was designed a very very long time ago before shot clocks were invented and is used in leagues now with either no shot clock or 35 sec clock.......not the NBA 24 sec. Having you big center run around is a detriment to a team more than it helps, he'll get tired among other things.

Simple pick & roll stuff is best.

It amazes me that Brown really is completely in the dark when it comes to offense, you would think he would've learned a thing or two by now.....but no, clueless and searching for anything.........meanwhile asst coaches are bailing on him.
    I hope he just lets Nash and Kobe design the offense to their preference while Brown just sits back and takes notes......this is a great opportunity for him to learn.
    Last edited by DKLaker; 07-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Frank Foley where are you?????
    See.....another thread about types of offense and it is so silent you can hear Crickets
    Come on guys....can anyone discuss this stuff that knows offenses???
    Where u at Frank??? I know you got this stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    You couldn't run a pure Princeton offense in the NBA, it wouldn't work at all, it's too time consuming/ major clock eater plus it requires too much useless running around by the bigs, this risks taking them away from the boards. Unless you tweaked the hell out of it's not going to be of any help. This was designed a very very long time ago before shot clocks were invented and is used in leagues now with either no shot clock or 35 sec clock.......not the NBA 24 sec. Having you big center run around is a detriment to a team more than it helps, he'll get tired among other things.

Simple pick & roll stuff is best.

It amazes me that Brown really is completely in the dark when it comes to offense, you would think he would've learned a thing or two by now.....but no, clueless and searching for anything.........meanwhile asst coaches are bailing on him.
    I hope he just lets Nash and Kobe design the offense to their preference while Brown just sits back and takes notes......this is a great opportunity for him to learn.
    Pick N Roll is best if players are going to move around. Im sure Nash changes this on the lakers. Everyone must get involved and "force" the offense to work.

If they were going to run princeton stuff, why not just the triangle

Too similar of an offense if you ask me. But I do like Pick N Roll best as well. Something like Jerry Sloan's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Pick N Roll is best if players are going to move around. Im sure Nash changes this on the lakers. Everyone must get involved and "force" the offense to work.

If they were going to run princeton stuff, why not just the triangle

Too similar of an offense if you ask me. But I do like Pick N Roll best as well. Something like Jerry Sloan's offense.

Yeah, Sloan had things simplified to the point that the offense flowed smoothly......this despite his practices ran only 45 minutes.......by the 48th minute he was in his car. 2 of my friends played for him for a long time......they told me about the 45 minute thing.

Sloan 45 minutes >>>>>>>>>> 3 hours of Mike Brown Sad but True

Yeah, Sloan had things simplified to the point that the offense flowed smoothly......this despite his practices ran only 45 minutes.......by the 48th minute he was in his car. 2 of my friends played for him for a long time......they told me about the 45 minute thing.

Sloan 45 minutes >>>>>>>>>> 3 hours of Mike Brown Sad but True
    Didn't phil used to hold all 4 hours?

And that's why Sloan isn't better than Phil.

Sometimes yes but a large part of it was walking through the Triangle rotations and not enough time spent on defense......but hey, it worked.
    Under Phil, the hard work was about 1-1 1/2 hours which is solid.

Brown wants to go 3 hours of intense practice plus shoot-arounds, plus video..........this is very highly unpopular, tiring and unnecessary.......one of the areas of discontent last year so he backed off it........this is not a young team.

Not saying Sloan is better but he didn't have the 2 greatest competitors/closers the game has ever seen.......can't compare him to Phil.

We need to stop ****en around and

Make mike brown our asst coach and
    Hire Jerry Sloan to run the show

Quote Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
    We need to stop ****en around and

Make mike brown our asst coach and
    Hire Jerry Sloan to run the show

[COLOR="Purple"]THIS!!!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR]

I still don't get it...what really is Princeton-style?

Quote Originally Posted by kobesabi
    I still don't get it...what really is Princeton-style?
    http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti...nceton_offense

I was too lazy to write my own, so I looked this up and pasted it for you so you can get the idea. It was NOT created by Pete Carril as some think including this article, just like the Triangle was NOT created by Tex Winter.
    These are common mistakes, both offenses are much older.

As the article says it takes 15 seconds to run.......add to that the time bringing the ball up the floor........this is not made for a 24 second clock but some facets can be used. BTW, I use it in AAU as one of the many offenses we use.......but we have a 35 second clock......some ages, some tournaments have no clock at all.
    Last edited by DKLaker; 07-18-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti...nceton_offense

I was too lazy to write my own, so I looked this up and pasted it for you so you can get the idea. It was NOT created by Pete Carril as some think including this article, just like the Triangle was NOT created by Tex Winter.

As the article says it takes 15 seconds to run.......add to that the time bringing the ball up the floor........this is not made for a 24 second clock but some facets can be used. BTW, I use it in AAU as one of the many offenses we use.......but we have a 35 second clock......some ages, some tournaments have no clock at all.
    thanks for that... does not seem well suited for Nash's skills.....

just like the Triangle was NOT created by Tex Winter.

Is that true? Tex didn't invent the triangle?

Is that true? Tex didn't invent the triangle?
    USC Trojans head coach Sam Barry invented it in the 40's and taught it to Tex who then made some adjustments to it.

DKLaker didn't invent beer........he just drinks it

Just setting the facts straight