Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Rubio

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Ricky Rubio

Thorpesaurous is exactly right. With that said, this guy is still just 17. Basically a high school junior. Pure PG are some of the last guys to develop and for him to already be at this level is pretty amazing. He certainly has more talent than any American high school player or incoming freshman. Please don't take this as an insult to the American guys because after Rubio probably the next 25 best non-NBA points under 20 are American. Rubio has such a huge amount of talent, but as Thorpesaurous said, he has a few major flaws.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

I think if you had Derrick Low (from wash st.) run an offense and Rubio run an offense youd see many similarities. Rubio is taller and more athlectic then low though. basically im trying to say I think Rubio is closer to Derrick Low in terms of skill set rather then anytype of NBA star or average NBA player. I think all the Rubio fans will be sorely dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by eprizzle14
    I think if you had Derrick Low (from wash st.) run an offense and Rubio run an offense youd see many similarities. Rubio is taller and more athlectic then low though. basically im trying to say I think Rubio is closer to Derrick Low in terms of skill set rather then anytype of NBA star or average NBA player. I think all the Rubio fans will be sorely dissapointed.
    that comparison is way off

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    that comparison is way off
    who would you compare him to at this stage of his career? and I was just saying that he's closer to Low then an NBA contributer at this point. Oh and Low is not a bad point guard by any means, just doesnt have all the tools that allow him to succeed as well as others.

Serious playground baller disco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eprizzle14
    who would you compare him to at this stage of his career? and I was just saying that he's closer to Low then an NBA contributer at this point. Oh and Low is not a bad point guard by any means, just doesnt have all the tools that allow him to succeed as well as others.
    Comparing him to college players is very difficult and pointless because their circumstances are so different. Also, it's very unusual that someone so young plays that much - and that well - for a top European team, so I cannot think any comparisons there either. The player he reminds me most is Steve Nash, although that's not a good comparison at this stage either. I just think he is a similar type of player. Better defender but weaker shooter, though.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Comparing him to college players is very difficult and pointless because their circumstances are so different. Also, it's very unusual that someone so young plays that much - and that well - for a top European team, so I cannot think any comparisons there either. The player he reminds me most is Steve Nash, although that's not a good comparison at this stage either. I just think he is a similar type of player. Better defender but weaker shooter, though.
    The Nash comp makes sense because of the ball handling, and vision, as well as a lack of physical strength. But Nash is built lower to the ground, and has quicker feet. And the big difference is that one of the essential reasons he works is because he is a Great shooter, with a capital G. He's probaby among the ten best shooters of all time.
    At his age, there's definitely time for improvement, but I just don't think there's a foundation there, or the natural element of shooting, that will ever make it a strength.

I think right now hes closer to Derrick Lowe in terms of gameplay and skill set rather then Nash. anyone disagree?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled Mayo
    Man that was way to long to read I will just say that rubio looks good but the man cant play defense and turns the ball over way to much
    Sounds like O.J. Mayo hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by out|hoops|side
    lol u just a hater brush it off oj mayo when he averages 30 a night his rookie year imma make a big thread on how i told you so

Banned

If Mayo averages 30 a game for the entire season as a rookie I will put whatever avatar you want as my avatar for the remainder of my time posting on ISH.

Oj Mayo actually plays good D, dont know what youre talking about.

Banned

No, I have a buddy who played against him at Las Vegas Big Time. Says Mayo stood at the other end of the court while his teammates played D and then would wait for the full-court pass so he could throw it down really huge-like.
    Might have changed for college, but still seems lazy on D to me.

No, I have a buddy who played against him at Las Vegas Big Time. Says Mayo stood at the other end of the court while his teammates played D and then would wait for the full-court pass so he could throw it down really huge-like.
    thats where mayo the ego was ahead of mayo the player, but no one would put up with that in anything other then club basketball which is where im sure that happened. He guarded the best guard night in and night out at USC and held his own..

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    lol u just a hater brush it off oj mayo when he averages 30 a night his rookie year imma make a big thread on how i told you so

Mayo won't average 30 ppg even once in his career.

Mayo's a great defender. Check the games against Arizona and UCLA when he shut down both Bayless and Collison. And I do mean shut down.