Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: internet help

High School Starter

Default internet help

I have a question, lately when im connected to internet it goes straight to limited access. Like this usually happens every hour or two hours. I thought it was router went to best buy to change it. The same thing keeps going on. I contacted cablevision they said to get another router. I just got another router same thing just happened. Any ideas?

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: internet help

Wireless right? If it is doing it to two routers it might be a problem with the wireless on your computer? Can you get a laptop or another computer to see if they are also stuck on limited access?

check the settings on your internet browser, firewall settings , or even router.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Are you sure you have the router set up right?

On the router's control panel under status or somewhere it should show if your connection is active or not.

Assuming it is, and other devices can get internet, you should try the following steps, in order

1: "Forget" the wireless network you use, and disable/re-enable your wireless adapter in device manager. Google can help you with both of these steps if you're not sure how...

2: unplug both router and modem from power

3: shut down PC

4: Plug modem back in, wait a minute for lights to come on

5: Plug Router back in, wait a minute for lights to come on

6: Fire computer back up

7: View available networks and re-connect. Sometimes it'll say limited access still until you open a browser for the first time.

You could also try assigning a static IP to the computer in question if this doesn't work. Perhaps there is an IP conflict with another device on your network?

Let us know if you get it working. I'm an IT guy and would be happy to try to assist further...send me a PM or something if you need, and good luck!

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Are you sure you have the router set up right?

On the router's control panel under status or somewhere it should show if your connection is active or not.

Assuming it is, and other devices can get internet, you should try the following steps, in order

1: "Forget" the wireless network you use, and disable/re-enable your wireless adapter in device manager. Google can help you with both of these steps if you're not sure how...

2: unplug both router and modem from power

3: shut down PC

4: Plug modem back in, wait a minute for lights to come on

5: Plug Router back in, wait a minute for lights to come on

6: Fire computer back up

7: View available networks and re-connect. Sometimes it'll say limited access still until you open a browser for the first time.

You could also try assigning a static IP to the computer in question if this doesn't work. Perhaps there is an IP conflict with another device on your network?

Let us know if you get it working. I'm an IT guy and would be happy to try to assist further...send me a PM or something if you need, and good luck!
    It just doesnt happen with my laptop it happens with ps3. It disconnects me as im playing.. I check my laptop as well I see it went to limited access. My sister was on her ipad it happened the same thing. Cablevision said it cant be the modem since phone line doesnt go down. Also, I replaced the router with same one the same model. Should I try a different router? besides keep buying the same one. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by netsfan549
    It just doesnt happen with my laptop it happens with ps3. It disconnects me as im playing.. I check my laptop as well I see it went to limited access. My sister was on her ipad it happened the same thing. Cablevision said it cant be the modem since phone line doesnt go down. Also, I replaced the router with same one the same model. Should I try a different router? besides keep buying the same one. thank you
    Hmm.

Sounds like the modem to me if it's happening to all devices and the router is brand new...

You could try a different router but I'd be surprised if that fixed it. Routers (and any device for that matter) can be faulty out of the box, but if the symptoms are exactly the same as with the old router that would be awfully coincidental...

The modem could be going bad, and the symptoms could be intermittent which might not be noticed from the phone lines.

You did unplug the modem from the power during the new router setup process right?

Unplug both from power
    Plug modem in first...wait 60 seconds
    Plug router in...wait 60 seconds and restart/reconnect devices

Try switching to a static IP. Also, give your ISP a call. It could be the wiring. My girlfriend just recently had a similar problem to yourself and calling the provider fixed it.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Hmm.

Sounds like the modem to me if it's happening to all devices and the router is brand new...

You could try a different router but I'd be surprised if that fixed it. Routers (and any device for that matter) can be faulty out of the box, but if the symptoms are exactly the same as with the old router that would be awfully coincidental...

The modem could be going bad, and the symptoms could be intermittent which might not be noticed from the phone lines.

You did unplug the modem from the power during the new router setup process right?

Unplug both from power
    Plug modem in first...wait 60 seconds
    Plug router in...wait 60 seconds and restart/reconnect devices
    THe reason I didnt think it was modem cuz when my internet would go to limited access. I would just got to my router click restart that would solve the problem

Try switching to a static IP. Also, give your ISP a call. It could be the wiring. My girlfriend just recently had a similar problem to yourself and calling the provider fixed it.
    yeah thats my next step =(

THe reason I didnt think it was modem cuz when my internet would go to limited access. I would just got to my router click restart that would solve the problem
    Have you tried using a different wireless channel on the router?

Sometimes other things in the house like cordless phones and microwave ovens use the same frequency as most routers' default on the 2.4 GHz bandwith.

Changing the router/access point's channel may or may not help

In my experience, it could because your computer isn't accessing your DHCP service properly. No IP address = no public internet. Go into a command prompt, type "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" and there's a good chance you'll be all set for the time being. If it happens again, log onto your router and check your DHCP lease time. Every so often, your PC has to check in with the router to confirm that it can still use the same IP, so if it's set for the same time you usually notice an outage, try making it longer.
    Last edited by code green; 01-19-2014 at 01:55 PM.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    In my experience, it could because your computer isn't accessing your DHCP service properly. No IP address = no public internet. Go into a command prompt, type "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" and there's a good chance you'll be all set for the time being. If it happens again, log onto your router and check your DHCP lease time. Every so often, your PC has to check in with the router to confirm that it can still use the same IP, so if it's set for the same time you usually notice an outage, try making it longer.
    but it also happens with ps3 not only with my laptop

but it also happens with ps3 not only with my laptop

Ah. Well, I think that proves my thought even more. Statically assign your laptop an IP address like the another poster said to do. Use an IP address like 192.168.1.150 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 if you're using a standard private IP scheme. Then let it go for a few hours. If it solves your issue, you'll know DHCP is the problem. If not, try hard wiring into the router or switch (if possible) to see if you need to troubleshoot wireless.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    Ah. Well, I think that proves my thought even more. Statically assign your laptop an IP address like the another poster said to do. Use an IP address like 192.168.1.150 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 if you're using a standard private IP scheme. Then let it go for a few hours. If it solves your issue, you'll know DHCP is the problem. If not, try hard wiring into the router or switch (if possible) to see if you need to troubleshoot wireless.

yeah i dont know how to do that lol

yeah i dont know how to do that lol

-Click the Wi-Fi logo in the system tray (bottom right corner of your screen)
    -Right-click the network you want to connect to and click "Status"
    -Click "Properties" on the new window
    -Under the Networking Tab of the window that pops up, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click properties.
    -Click the radio button next to "Use the following IP Address" and enter 192.168.1.150 for the IP 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask, and 192.168.1.1 for the default-gateway and click OK.

See if that gets you connected. If not, repeat the same steps and change the IP setting back to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" in step 5 to get you back to where you were and call the ISP. Everything else is pretty tough to troubleshoot if you don't know what to look for.

High School Starter

Thank you, I tried it took me straight to limited access. I guess I have to call cablevision goes this isnt normal