Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    I can understand a typo but up and of is a bit of a reach...

Freak up nature

Like the title of a shitty B movie

I think this is a legit diamond dozen moment.
    If you were smart you would notice the sentece started with the words.. "Bringing up" and then come to the conclusion that it was just a simple mistake that my mind made because of how similar of and up sound so I typed up again instead of.. well, of.

Sometimes I type too fast for my own good and make stupid ass mistakes.

Budadaii is nothing more than a troll trying to derail a thread when he's being challenged from an intellectual standpoint outright.

Go ahead and derail this thread loser. I've clearly revealed who you are.

Moe sounds like his little b*tch (or could it be his alt account?).

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    I know how slick you can be with your reasoning dumbsh*t, but guess what, I have one up on you: the idea you still think Newton is relevant today shows how little you know about the best ideas today.

Like I said, come back at me when you've done your homework on Kant and Quantum Physics. Thanks.
    Ok, I'll bite.

Educate us Rambo. Tell us why Newton's laws of motion are no longer relevant today. I'm sure NASA would love to here it.

Give me the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Ok, I'll bite.

Educate us Rambo. Tell us why Newton's laws of motion are no longer relevant today. I'm sure NASA would love to here it.

Give me the insight!
    Because Einstein's is better.

Let's end this argument here. I haven't even gotten to Kant or QP. Do your homework idiot before you respond.

Yeah, those accidents are freaks up nature.
    You're such a ****ing troll.

I even googled "Budadiiii freak of nature" because you're an annoying little pest.

Here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=287813

Troll confirmed. Stop derailing the thread.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    that is, i think i can speak for a certain audience in saying that when we first saw the matrix, we collectively rolled our eyes a bit. just about every little bit (and much more) had been covered by SF-authors the previous three decades or so.
    This.

I like the Matrix as a movie, it's just that the concepts underlying the script are fairly non trivial and just not really that exciting. The whole "What if we're really in the Matrix?" thing was an easy and convenient way back in the day for pubescent boys to delude themselves into sounding profound and intelligent between playing Max Payne and looking at girls' asses in highschool class.

That being said...the whole simulation idea is pretty compelling to me. It's just that you don't need Wikipedia-level knowledge of Kant and quantum mechanics in order to argue for it. It's just common sense. The existence of dreams we aren't reliably able to distinguish from what we call "reality" is more than enough to make such arguments.

I mean basically...Matrix was simply the brain in a vat-idea applied to many humans in the context of a shared reality. You don't need philosophical ramblings and half-assed physics for that. Just the assumption that is shouldn't matter for our own perception of the world whether the input is coming through our sensory system or directly applied to the relevant brain areas themselves. So if it's indeed practically possible (no idea if we'll ever find out) to make the brain respond in the same way to artificially created input than it does to data our sensory system is gathering, a simulation isn't that strange of a thought.

An even better example for this than dreams are neurophysiological differences between auditory hallucinations and imagining a voice. In short...using neuroimaging, we can distinguish if someone is hearing a real voice or just imagining a conversation, because brain areas related to processing data coming in from the outside aren't active when imagining a sound. But we can't tell if someone is hallucinating a voice or hearing a real one only by looking at brain images, because even without any input, the brain still activates the same areas anyway. Hallucinations appear real for people, because the brain is doing exactly the same thing as if the voice was really there. Pretty cool.

So in theory, if it's somehow possible to feed the brain with the relevant data, there's not much that's speaking against simulation arguments.

The whole topic is pretty interesting...but that's not the point OP was trying to make. He just needed to find a way to incorporate his perceived vast knowledge of certain areas (Kant, quantum physics) into a topic, trying to delude himself into believing that he's a profound thinker with a lot of original ideas.

The truth is...the idea of reality as a simulation wasn't invented by the Wachowski brothers, and Kant and quantum mechanics are completely irrelevant in order to understand this movie. Now OP has to disagree of course, since rambling about some shit he read on Wikipedia is his way of getting validation, but in the end...I know the exact same talk from the Matrix Reloaded days in the form of dialogues between drunk teenagers late at a party. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing impressive either.

Anyway...I really think we're living inside a computer. The OP is solid proof for our alien overlords being able to accurately simulate a ph@ggot.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    This.

I like the Matrix as a movie, it's just that the concepts underlying the script are fairly non trivial and just not really that exciting. The whole "What if we're really in the Matrix?" thing was an easy and convenient way back in the day for pubescent boys to delude themselves into sounding profound and intelligent between playing Max Payne and looking at girls' asses in highschool class.

That being said...the whole simulation idea is pretty compelling to me. It's just that you don't need Wikipedia-level knowledge of Kant and quantum mechanics in order to argue for it. It's just common sense. The existence of dreams we aren't reliably able to distinguish from what we call "reality" is more than enough to make such arguments.

I mean basically...Matrix was simply the brain in a vat-idea applied to many humans in the context of a shared reality. You don't need philosophical ramblings and half-assed physics for that. Just the assumption that is shouldn't matter for our own perception of the world whether the input is coming through our sensory system or directly applied to the relevant brain areas themselves. So if it's indeed practically possible (no idea if we'll ever find out) to make the brain respond in the same way to artificially created input than it does to data our sensory system is gathering, a simulation isn't that strange of a thought.

An even better example for this than dreams are neurophysiological differences between auditory hallucinations and imagining a voice. In short...using neuroimaging, we can distinguish if someone is hearing a real voice or just imagining a conversation, because brain areas related to processing data coming in from the outside aren't active when imagining a sound. But we can't tell if someone is hallucinating a voice or hearing a real one only by looking at brain images, because even without any input, the brain still activates the same areas anyway. Hallucinations appear real for people, because the brain is doing exactly the same thing as if the voice was really there. Pretty cool.

So in theory, if it's somehow possible to feed the brain with the relevant data, there's not much that's speaking against simulation arguments.

The whole topic is pretty interesting...but that's not the point OP was trying to make. He just needed to find a way to incorporate his perceived vast knowledge of certain areas (Kant, quantum physics) into a topic, trying to delude himself into believing that he's a profound thinker with a lot of original ideas.

The truth is...the idea of reality as a simulation wasn't invented by the Wachowski brothers, and Kant and quantum mechanics are completely irrelevant in order to understand this movie. Now OP has to disagree of course, since rambling about some shit he read on Wikipedia is his way of getting validation, but in the end...I know the exact same talk from the Matrix Reloaded days in the form of dialogues between drunk teenagers late at a party. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing impressive either.

Anyway...I really think we're living inside a computer. The OP is solid proof for our alien overlords being able to accurately simulate a ph@ggot.
    Thanks for the elaboration but you are forgetting one simple experiment: duality of waves.

Let's key on that and truly understand what it really means. It is the best idea of today by the mere fact it has not been discarded and the best geniuses are working to further the idea.

LOL @ how ironic that thread is right now.

Can't even make this shit up.

Anyways..

Rambo you're dodging cuz you ain't got a clue about the shit you spewin' bruh. Youz a mother ****ing troll.

But I do see how you bait people into responding with well thought out posts. It's your turn to actually defend whatever point you're trying to make. You made the thread, now ****ing educate us, troll.

Did you really need to prove that?
    The random irony makes it worth the effort.

"He has developed this incredible athleticism/stamina/durability with INTENSE visualization/meditation techniques and INCREDIBLE will power"

Rambo is on to something here. Westbrook shaping his reality with his imagination.

Thanks for the elaboration but you are forgetting one simple: duality of waves.

Let's key on that and truly understand what it really means. [B] It is the best idea of today by the mere fact it has not been discarded and the best geniuses are working to further the idea.[/B

]
    Completely irrelevant. The only question you could derive from watching the Matrix is whether it's practically possible to use computer generated input in order to elicit the same brain response patterns that result from our sensory system. Everything else is pseudo-intellectial bullshit (that's where you'll scream "AD HOMINEM" btw...). Duality of waves? GTFO.

Not impressed, kid. You've brought nothing new to the table that hasn't been discussed to death by high school kids after watching Matrix Reloaded. Come on, you can do better.

Last edited by dr.hee; 01-18-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    Completely irrelevant. The only question you could derive from watching the Matrix is whether it's practically possible to use computer generated input in order to elicit the same brain response patterns that result from our sensory system. Everything else is pseudo-intellectial bullshit (that's where you'll scream "AD HOMINEM" btw...). Duality of waves? GTFO.

Not impressed, kid. You've brought nothing new to the table that hasn't been discussed to death by high school kids after watching Matrix Reloaded. Come on, you can do better.

The movie is based on Planck's ideas of the Quantum World. The machine and computer part are purely fictional. The concepts still stand. Stand with me and swallow the red pill.

The movie is based on Planck's ideas of the Quantum World.
    Uh, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiii
    Well Rambo has point there. The Matrix does in fact contradict everything we know about physics. Just look at this...

Laws of motion my ass...how can that shot go in? It's all done by imagination, bro.

OP just like to make threads that gets a of attention.

Hell are you blabbering about?

Rambo been dodging.
    What he does is he takes the thing that agree with his premise and ignores everything else and then say he is right. Just look at the thread about the school. He made the same thing, one of the reasons I stop post there, like why bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    What he does is he takes the thing that agree with his premise and ignores everything else and then say he is right. Just look at the thread about the school. He made the same thing, one of the reasons I stop post there, like why bother.
    This is how an argument works:

1. Present an argument.

2. Back it up.

3. Formulate a conclusion.

It is not my fault you idiots won't focus on the premise and keep on sidetracking it. I always try to divert it back to the premise, hence why I ignore all the trolls that try to derail it.