Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Maurice Cheeks FIRED!

You guys are feeling sorry for Mo Cheeks? What was he good at?

Sixers look bad from every angle. Offense, Defense, Bench. Shooting bad from the field, FT and 3pt arc. Brand isnt being utilized as he should. Questionable substitutions.

Quote Originally Posted by crounsa810
    Yeah but I don't know. I think they could find a coach that could fit in to the team even in the middle of the season. Look how many are available there's gotta be one who could do it.
    Who knows if Tony Dileo is a bad choice. Check his background first.

I know everything SHEED_ gangsta's Avatar

wow what's going on these days if you have a losing slump and you get fired? Mo Cheeks did'nt desserve that man. Mitchell yeah but not Cheeks it's not his fault Iggy and Brand are playing like crap wtf is he supposed to do? a coach can't make the ball go in the basket if these guys are shooting a low percentage ther's nothing yuo can do

Cheeks was being exposed this season since he actually had talent.

1. Awful substitution patterns
    2. Poor perimeter defense
    3. Terrible half-court sets

It's crazy that Dileo is taking over. I became friends with his son TJ this year, both freshmen at Temple. TJ's playing for the basketball team too.

SAS just said Tony Dileo will be the interim for the rest of the season and Eddie Jordan will be the HC of the team next season. Wth Eddie Jordan?

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    You guys are feeling sorry for Mo Cheeks? What was he good at?

Sixers look bad from every angle. Offense, Defense, Bench. Shooting bad from the field, FT and 3pt arc. Brand isnt being utilized as he should. Questionable substitutions.
    True, but part of the problem was that management was looking at the situation "glass half full" (we're a young team on the definite rise) when the situation could've easily just been "glass half empty" (we're a young team that overachieved significantly last season). Of course the coach has to be partly blamed for that because Cheeks really didn't build off of what happened last season.

Good college starter

Another coach fired that would be a solid upgrade over Del Negro.

Sixers problem is that their roster is put together all wrong for Brand. They need more shooters (as always) and to figure out who to trade between Iguodala/Young. Or be prepared to replace Miller with a better shooter at PG.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease SilentObserver's Avatar

Good move imo, i wish sammy the best.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    actually iggy was one of the better sixers in the half court set
    with brand. problem is miller, he's not suited for this system.
    Seriously? This is a guy that can't dribble or shoot, has no post game and can't put it on the floor. He is the opposite of a half court player. He averaged 20ppg last year. This year he's averaging 15ppg. He's shooting 25% from three and averaging 3 TOs a game, and they're not even running. I could live with the TOs if he was constantly running the break or something. Do you watch Sixers games? Iguodala jacks up awful shots and has a terrible handle especially when he takes it to the hole. He is a turnover waiting to happen. I know you hate Andre Miller but everybody is s h i t t i n g the bed in this system. Look at Brand's, Lou Williams', Dalembert's, and Miller's numbers. They are all down. You say Miller's not a half court PG but Iguodala is not a half court anything. I don't care who you put to pick and roll with Brand, the rest of the team isn't cut out for this half court BS. If your teams best shooter is a 36 year old Donyell Marshall, then you have a problem if you wanna run half court sets.

Local High School Star sixerfan3511's Avatar

idk this is tough for me, i like Mo. I don't think he is the greatest coach alive but i don't think he's a bad one. Sure we have had a very disappointing start. And it all falls on the coach. So from that standpoint i'm not surprised he got fired. But we just said recently that his job is safe. I don't know. I hope we get an established coach like Eddie Jordan, he would be perfect. Meantime, i wish him the best of luck and hopefully we can turn this season into what we expected it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Seriously? This is a guy that can't dribble or shoot, has no post game and can't put it on the floor. He is the opposite of a half court player. He averaged 20ppg last year. This year he's averaging 15ppg. He's shooting 25% from three and averaging 3 TOs a game, and they're not even running. I could live with the TOs if he was constantly running the break or something. Do you watch Sixers games? Iguodala jacks up awful shots and has a terrible handle especially when he takes it to the hole. He is a turnover waiting to happen. I know you hate Andre Miller but everybody is s h i t t i n g the bed in this system. Look at Brand's, Lou Williams', Dalembert's, and Miller's numbers. They are all down. You say Miller's not a half court PG but Iguodala is not a half court anything. I don't care who you put to pick and roll with Brand, the rest of the team isn't cut out for this half court BS. If your teams best shooter is a 36 year old Donyell Marshall, then you have a problem if you wanna run half court sets.
    I only watched 6 sixer games this season, in 4 of those iggy ran the pick & roll really well, but youre right about the team being a mess.

idea: ship brand to lac for randolph.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    I only watched 6 sixer games this season, in 4 of those iggy ran the pick & roll really well, but youre right about the team being a mess.

idea: ship brand to lac for randolph.
    I've watched every game so trust me I'm not making anything up. I hope that you're joking about Randolph.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I've watched every game so trust me I'm not making anything up. I hope that you're joking about Randolph.
    Would work out pretty well for the Clippers.

Decent college freshman

I don't think this means Mo is a bad coach, sometimes coaches and teams just don't work out to what they expected. He might succeed somewhere else and someone else might find success with Philly. They should hire Flip Saunders.

National High School Star crounsa810's Avatar

Press conference is on right now. Reporters seem pissed that he fired him and didn't get rid of players. A lot of questions about Brand not working out, etc. I agree though. He shouldn't have been fired. Brand is not the great player they thought he is. He's not a proven winner. Yeah, his career stats are pretty, but it means nothing if he hasn't ever been on a winner. In nine seasons, he's been in the playoffs once. Once. That's it. If he's such a great player, wouldn't he be able to carry his team at least to the playoffs? He's a nice guy, he just isn't meant to be the star of a team, and thats what Stefanski wants him to be. Not gonna work.

Anyway, DiLeo seems like a cool guy, but still he's not Mo Cheeks. Mo should still be here. DiLeo reminds me of someone, I just can't figure out who. Michael Keaton? No not Michael Keaton. Idk but he reminds me of someone.

Also, it sucks that they had to fire him near Christmas time. That's not cool.
    Last edited by crounsa810; 12-13-2008 at 06:24 PM.