Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: How do you stop this VERY FAT and TALL guy DOMINATING in streetball?

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    Any guys with some muscle? If so BOX OUT and not just make contact, get low and try to move him back.

Yep.

Play them HARD and then when they are about to make a post move back the fukk off.

Their force should be miscalibrated.

Default Re: How do you stop this VERY FAT and TALL guy DOMINATING in streetball?

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Yep.

Play them HARD and then when they are about to make a post move back the fukk off.

Their force should be miscalibrated.
    it's probably the best strategy but even if they're complete boneheads, you can't expect to do this all day, they will catch on eventually. i hate going low on some of the big guys, they fcking love throwing elbows.
    the two parks near my house that have good competition are usually full of boneheads who are not strangers to prison, so when you confront one of them for being dirty they will try to fight you 9 times out of 10. couple weeks a go, in the middle of a game 2 guys got in an argument and one of them went to his bag and pulled out a knife. there was children and adults scurrying everywhere. fcking assholes

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    it's probably the best strategy but even if they're complete boneheads, you can't expect to do this all day, they will catch on eventually. i hate going low on some of the big guys, they fcking love throwing elbows.
    the two parks near my house that have good competition are usually full of boneheads who are not strangers to prison, so when you confront one of them for being dirty they will try to fight you 9 times out of 10. couple weeks a go, in the middle of a game 2 guys got in an argument and one of them went to his bag and pulled out a knife. there was children and adults scurrying everywhere. fcking assholes
    Lol stop playing in that park! I never seen a knife pulled out in a court before but
    when me and my friends went to play in one particular court, we saw some dried blood stains on the floor. Can only guess what happened the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Being that you guys were in middle school, I can understand how that'd be a tough situation. How old was this big guy? And did this happen at a public court or a school court? He must have not had very many basketball options in his area if he had to resort to playing against middle schoolers every single day. Also, depending on that guy's age, I'm having a hard time picturing him wanting to fight a slew of 12 year olds.

That said, if some things were a little different - let's say you guys were not middle schoolers and you were playing at your city's primary court - I wouldn't be able to have an issue with anyone trying to step in and play. Sometimes players (even big ones) just want to get out there and exercise.

Are you guys playing 3-on-3 half court? Is lack of numbers the reason you don't run full? Either way, I'll echo what others have said. If it seems the big man can just back everyone down and shoot jump hooks after he catches with a defender on his back, the I'd say front that man and/or try to make him catch the ball out of his comfort zone.

Even in a game of 3-on-3, if a defender's fronting the post, a teammate should still be able to keep an eye on the backside in the event of a lob over the top. And if fronting is not an option, it sounds small, but I'd again suggest trying to do whatever you can to make the big guy catch it a little further away from the hoop than he'd like. Sometimes, even if a big guy is capable of backing a defender down 23 feet away, he won't (or 10 feet away even). Moreover, the further he is from the hoop, the more opportunity there should be to help down and attempt to bother his dribble.

Sometimes the best you can do is not necessarily stopping a guy like that altogether, but just making it more difficult for him than he'd prefer. You may not be able to block his hooks, but maybe you can alter just enough variables to make that shot feel at least a little uncomfortable, leading to more misses.

Also, a man that large is often going to be giving up something somewhere. His mobility and/or stamina could be lacking and in that case, try to turn that into an advantage on your end. Have whoever he is guarding step away from the hoop (to take the big man away from the rim with him) thus opening up lanes and creating an opportunity for the big to be taken off the dribble from the perimeter.

I haven't played any true seven footers in three on three. But I have played against my share of 6'7'' to 6'9'' 300 pound linemen hybrids and a lot of cases, it takes a second to realize it, but they're often giving up as much as they're providing. They surely hit their share of inside shots that make you think, "Geez, absolutely nothing I could do there" but the other aspects of their game (speed, agility, stamina) tend to even the playing field to some extent.

Above all else, it usually takes at least some level of defensive coordination between teammates. If it's just a matter of each player guarding their guy and thus watching your biggest man go solo against the giant and watching him getting eaten up, then that'll be an issue. Things usually work better if there's a discussion and some sort of plan beforehand in terms of help, playing over the top, and pulling him from the basket.
    Its 3v3. One man is inbounding, so he's being pressured so that a good lob pass might not be made. One man is fronting the big guy. The last guy is on the wing. Wing defender can't leave to protect the lob.

The only way to stop those guys is to double/triple team them, hack them, and then run when they get mad

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    Its 3v3. One man is inbounding, so he's being pressured so that a good lob pass might not be made. One man is fronting the big guy. The last guy is on the wing. Wing defender can't leave to protect the lob.
    Yep true enough. In that case, it's just a tough spot. Sometimes there's adjustments to be made and sometimes there's not.

I personally struggled against a 6'8'' fellow in 3 on 3 over the weekend. I'm 6'3'' so it wasn't absolutely ridiculous, but he was surely big enough to pound his way to the front of the rim as he pleased, just as you were describing. The good news is that he was in fact giving up a bit in other aspects of the game. I mean, he was clearly a ball player, but he didn't finish as well as he should have and every bucket he scored was nullified as he was blown by on the perimeter when he tried to play defense.

I guess sometimes the best thing we can do is try to make it a little bit tougher, even if it's not a matter of whether we can truly stop a person like that. Provide resistance, contest all shots, clear the glass and convert when given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    why even bother playing half court? run full court or stop bitching
    Don't know where OP is from but here where I'm from there is no full court games. Most playgrounds only have half courts and even where is a full one, people play half court on both sides...

Dunking on everybody in the park

Pretend to be his friend... so he lowers his level of intensity.

It sound stupid, but it works, i read somewhere that it had a psychological explanation, it seems that we don't fight as hard when we perceive someone as a friend.

Heck Van Gundy or Pat Riley called out Jordan for trying it against the Knicks. And Jordan(again) recognized he would pretend to be friends with Charles(Barkley).
    Last edited by TheFan; 06-19-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Many things you can try.
    You can front him if a teammate has your back. You can double him with a quick guard, force him to pass it out. You can "pull the chair" from him if he's backing you in (in a game with actual refs you could also try to take a charge). If you pull this one off and he stumbles and falls you'll get a major victory. You can even attempt a hard foul coupled with some trash talking/psychological warfare. And of course, run as much as you can on offense, make him run after you.
    You're not going to "stop" him if you don't have the weapons, but you can certainly frustrate him and reduce his ability to dominate.

Banned

Front him because that makes him have to work to catch the lob pass. He would have to jump because the entry pass would have to be lobbed over you. This would make it very hard for his conditioning as the games go on.

Front his strong side. If he's right handed, front that side. He has to use some sort of leverage for position. He's not going to want to catch a lob with his weak hand and he's not going to want to have his strong hand in the back to catch either.

Make him work on defense and get him to come out of the paint. He will get tired. The man he's covering should be hitting those mid range shots.

To be honest you guys should be able to beat him because he's slow and can't play defense. If you can consistently hit your shot, it's over for his team.

He is a huge liability on defense, for the guy he's covering. If he was covering me, it would be over. Let the guy he's covering dominate the ball and shoot those mid range. Turn it into a one on one game and rebound for your teammate.