Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

I'm trying to find a go-to move that I can score on with consistency. I'm trying to work on these cause I'm a shorter guard (5'10"). I want to be able to get these shots off on the layup high off the glass against the taller defender. Basically, I saw Baron Davis abusing Josh Smith with this move, and thought it would really help my game. Any suggestions/tutorials?

And also, any suggestions for a good go-to move for me? I'm moderately athletic (can get rim), have average arm length, am pretty good at posting up shorter/slower players...
    Last edited by holabuster; 03-05-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

Honestly, everyone has their different style of floater / Layup, so I wouldn't be able to tell you without seeing you play. I do high arcing Nash-Style layups, and almost never get blocked (I played College Basketball). Other people do the little Chris Paul style overhand floater when they get into the lane, that's also very effective.

If you're a Point Guard, honestly, the best move is the Hesitation move. I've abused so many people with this move in my many years of playing basketball. If you get it to the point where you can be running full speed with the ball, keep the ball in your hand, hesitation, read the defender... If he backs up on his heels you do the Hesitation into Jump-Shot (Extremely important for a PG). If he stays put, you do the Hesitation and just go hard the same way to the basket, and there's no way he will be able to stay with you. Just watch Steve Nash bring the ball up, he uses this hesitation move probably 70-80% of the time when he's about to do something. =D

It is all about your own style and finding your own touch. Developing a go to move isnt as easy as watching Baron Davis do somethign and imitating him. Finding what works for you is what leads you to be confident in your own game.

National High School Star

I totally agree w/ sepiroth, i've live of that one single move all my life. The hesitation move. I was never the quickest, most athletic player on the court. I have avg to below avg height. But hesitation moves allows me to get to the rim and either finish or get fouls. The thing with hesitation is, it makes your opponent off balance and when you bump them, you will usually get calls in your favor.

Regarding the floaters, try standing at around 5ft from the rim, then just keep on throwing 1 handers. Another drill is to put a chair and shoot 1 handers while sitting.

Future D1 Dad

try practicing them w/ a person holding a broom in the air.

had to bring this back. Does anybody have video demonstrations of how to float the ball high of the backboard while on the move? Need to add to my game.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    had to bring this back. Does anybody have video demonstrations of how to float the ball high of the backboard while on the move? Need to add to my game.
    http://www.youth-basketball-tips.com/tear-drop.html

Can't find a video, so I just posted that link up. Well, for me, I do my floater like a lay-up, kinda like Chris Paul. Take two step, cradle the ball with my hands, and then toss it up. One thing you should note is that when preparing to launch the shot, your arm should be in e 90-degree angle. Think jumpshot without the guide hand. Hope this helped.

Saw a basketball once

Forget layups....DUNK lol

***AMAZING DUNKER***
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiCdlLb1bQk

dvd available at www.thamanic.net

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    http://www.youth-basketball-tips.com/tear-drop.html

Can't find a video, so I just posted that link up. Well, for me, I do my floater like a lay-up, kinda like Chris Paul. Take two step, cradle the ball with my hands, and then toss it up. One thing you should note is that when preparing to launch the shot, your arm should be in e 90-degree angle. Think jumpshot without the guide hand. Hope this helped.
    But its so hard to get the right angle off the back board while in motion. I tryed it, also tryed putting it high off the glass but I wont fall.

Good High School Starter Splitz77's Avatar

But its so hard to get the right angle off the back board while in motion. I tryed it, also tryed putting it high off the glass but I wont fall.

Its all about the soft touch. It will go in if your soft with it. You gotta have the touch first. its hard to explain.

If you put the ball high in the air before the block by the bigger man, then it doesnt matter how slow, or soft it is. If he the defender cant touch it then it just doesnt matter. Just practice putting the ball gentely off the back board then start moving your way up the back board, and adjust as needed.

Pro's have alot of experience and have practiced it alot. Im no pro at it, but im pretty consitent with it, but its definatly not my go to move.

Its all about practice!

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Aim for the top parts of the backboard, but it should not be at the peak when it hits. It should hit the board as it's going down.

true I now remember who I used to see do it was ALLEN IVERSON... Ill miss that guy. He would cross someone over and go to the rim full speed and he'd fingerroll high off the glass while the big man tryed to block it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSephiroth
    Honestly, everyone has their different style of floater / Layup, so I wouldn't be able to tell you without seeing you play. I do high arcing Nash-Style layups, and almost never get blocked (I played College Basketball). Other people do the little Chris Paul style overhand floater when they get into the lane, that's also very effective.

If you're a Point Guard, honestly, the best move is the Hesitation move. I've abused so many people with this move in my many years of playing basketball. If you get it to the point where you can be running full speed with the ball, keep the ball in your hand, hesitation, read the defender... If he backs up on his heels you do the Hesitation into Jump-Shot (Extremely important for a PG). If he stays put, you do the Hesitation and just go hard the same way to the basket, and there's no way he will be able to stay with you. Just watch Steve Nash bring the ball up, he uses this hesitation move probably 70-80% of the time when he's about to do something. =D

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

If your going to have a mount everest release then make it soft.