Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Raptors give extension to Andrea Bargnani

Quote Originally Posted by TMAC-RAPTORS
    I can make a whole list of player that make more than 10 mill a year (or close to it) that aren't franchise players.
    And the majority are probably overpaid players deemed "untradable".

The truth is most players making in the double digits in millions "should" be part of franchise's core.

Bargnani is only going on 24 and has tons of room to grow. Especially being a 7footer. He's already shown improvement and I suspect we can all except the same in the future. I personally like the signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
    Bargnani is only going on 24 and has tons of room to grow. Especially being a 7footer. He's already shown improvement and I suspect we can all except the same in the future. I personally like the signing.
    I like the idea too but 50 million for 5 years?

NBA lottery pick

As long as he keeps improving like he has been I have no problem the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAC-RAPTORS
    Who has ever said we would be a top 4 team? Sure, we might be able to get the 6-8 seed in the weak east.

Maybe you need Juuuuuuust a few more $10 million players, THEN will you be a contender.

$45 million on 4 players doesn't buy what it used to.

Raptors won 33 games last year with Bosh, Marion, Calderon, and the $10 million dollar man.

"Good job Andrea....here's $50 million extension. Keep up the the good work!!!! Uh...can you get us into the playoffs now?"

Bargnani "Can't make any promises."

Its funny hearing a fan of a team that gave Allan Houston $100,000,000 cut down someone elses team for giving out a $50,000,000 deal.

Somethings just not right about it.

Diaw Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

Maybe you need Juuuuuuust a few more $10 million players, THEN will you be a contender.

$45 million on 4 players doesn't buy what it used to.

You'd know being a Knicks fan.

Obviously people know that Bagnani isn't worth 10 per right now. More like 8. But people are also expecting him to improve to a 21/8 player which WOULD be worth 10.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    First off... Gasol is not a role player...

Secondly... They never signed Odom to that contract... the Heat did, & they signed him as an offensive focal point. And besides, Odom probably won't get a 5yr/$50M contract. And it's pretty easy to say right now Odom > Bargnani.

Third... Bynum is already proving he may be overpaid.
    Gasol didn't win 1 playoff game on his own. We're not talking about rings or anything, we're talking about one singular playoff win. As the man he was swept twice... Not saying that Bargnani has approached his level yet in terms of talent, but yes, Gasol was a role player on that Lakers team. Albeit he had a big role as the second best player, but make no mistake, that was Kobe's team. Odom was a role player, and Bynum was/is a role player making HUGE money. 5 years 50 mill isn't that much guys, take a breather. How many 10 mill/year guys are expected to carry a team to the promise land. None that I can think of, not in this day and age.

Bargnani and Turkoglu... the future of the Raptors?

toronto wants to sign all the euro players

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    Gasol didn't win 1 playoff game on his own. We're not talking about rings or anything, we're talking about one singular playoff win. As the man he was swept twice... Not saying that Bargnani has approached his level yet in terms of talent, but yes, Gasol was a role player on that Lakers team. Albeit he had a big role as the second best player, but make no mistake, that was Kobe's team. Odom was a role player, and Bynum was/is a role player making HUGE money. 5 years 50 mill isn't that much guys, take a breather. How many 10 mill/year guys are expected to carry a team to the promise land. None that I can think of, not in this day and age.
    Well when Mike Miller is the second best player on the team, I'd assume most teams would have a hard time winning a playoff game. There is a huge difference between Gasol in Memphis and Bargnani in his first 3 years.... He was a consistent rebounder and scorer, something Bargnani is not. Gasol was also an all-star by his 3rd season... Bargnani is not.

As I've said before, Odom was signed to the Heat to be their primary scorer alongside Caron... it just so happened Wade panned out a whole lot quicker than everyone thought.

And also, as I've said before, Bynum right now is looking like an overpaid player.

It's really as simple as what I've said before... a player making double digits is usually supposed to be a franchise core player. If he keeps up the inconsistent act, he will quickly be piled alongside players like Kaman who have potential, and some upside, but simply are not worth their current contracts.

BTW, if you don't know what I mean by franchise core player: it's a player they team can rebuild & retool around. If the Lakers had to rebuild, they likely hold onto Kobe, Gasol, & Bynum, and trade the other around, same with Spurs & Duncan, Ginobili & Parker. Bargs in comparison right now is looking like an expendable player.
    Last edited by beasted86; 07-08-2009 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Well when Mike Miller is the second best player on the team, I'd assume most teams would have a hard time winning a playoff game. There is a huge difference between Gasol in Memphis and Bargnani in his first 3 years.... He was a consistent rebounder and scorer, something Bargnani is not. Gasol was also an all-star by his 3rd season... Bargnani is not.

As I've said before, Odom was signed to the Heat to be their primary scorer alongside Caron... it just so happened Wade panned out a whole lot quicker than everyone thought.

And also, as I've said before, Bynum right now is looking like an overpaid player.

It's really as simple as what I've said before... a player making double digits is usually supposed to be a franchise core player. If he keeps up the inconsistent act, he will quickly be piled alongside players like Kaman who have potential, and some upside, but simply are not worth their current contracts.
    Your first paragraph pretty much explains itself. When Mike Miller is your 2nd best player (which of course is highly debatable when a prime J-Will on that team) then it just shows that his numbers were inflated. Gasol was a very good player on a half decent team without a go-to guy. I think that Gasol's 17-18/9-10 that he's been averaging since joining the Lakers is a more fair comparison now since he's the 2nd option, which is what Bargnani is/has been in Toronto. So, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges here. I don't think he's as good as Pau Gasol but at the same time they weren't given an equal amount of opportunities at each stage of their respective careers.

Just to give this some perspective for the haters...

Big Z 11 M/year
    Ben Wallets 15 mill/year
    Sam Dalembert 11-12 mill/year
    Nene 10 mill/year
    Biedrins 9 mill/year
    Bynum 14 mill/year
    Eddie Curry 11 mill/year
    Tyson Chandler 11 mill/year
    Emeka Okafor 12 mill/year

Bargnani at 10 mill/year is definitely a fair contract for both parties. And when his game improves even further as full time C we're gonna be laughing that we got him at this price, rather than it being the other way around.

Another big being overpaid too soon..not a surprise.