Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: PED's in the nba

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    This isn't a question in response to any one post in particular, or to defend any player(s), but what's the big issue with HGH use? I don't think players NBA are using per se (look at the injuries this past season), but why is it banned (or have whatever status it does)?

From my understanding (which admittedly might by incomplete), it's used primarily in injury recovery and not to augment a guy in any way. If you're going to argue it's unfair since there's probably some time to heal involved and not everyone has the time to do so that's fine, but why shouldn't a player be able to take part in HGH treatment during the offseason if he has a massive injury (what are the health risks/why is such use banned? again I'm not very knowledgeable on this matter, just speaking from my current understanding)?
    I don't think it's really a safety issue. You can get Testosterone or HGH prescribed to you by a doctor nowadays fairly easily. I'm sure everybody here has seen the commercials for "Is it low T?".

The biggest issues I see are #1 it's very taboo. We are still in the "reefer madness" era of PEDs. Most people can't differentiate between different types of drugs and automatically assume everything is going to turn you into a hulked out raging monster. The truth is very, very far from that, but it will be a long time before the media and public knowledge catches up.

And #2, and I think most importantly, is that allowing PEDs in the NBA doesn't just affect professional adults. Everything NBA players do trickles down into middle school, high school and college level players. If PED use were to become wide spread I think there'd be serious ethical and health issues. While using a lot of these drugs as an adult under doctor supervision could be totally safe, HGH or anabolic steroids are never going to be safe for a growing teenager. They can totally wreck their endocrine systems FOR LIFE if used improperly (or even sometimes if used properly...).

Then you've got to consider how expensive some of that shit is. In the bodybuilding world having the money to pin HGH every day is widely considered one of the barriers to entry for up and coming amateurs. We're talking thousands of $$$ a year. It would be very shitty if having rich parents meant you made it to the NBA over other naturally more talented kids who didn't have access to the same resources.

Further you'd have to find a group of doctors who would actually come to a consensus about this stuff. Testosterone replacement therapy and HGH treatments are still very much in their infancies. The cutoff ranges for low T and the prescribed doses can vary wildly from doctor to doctor. It will be a while before things become standardized.

And @ the people asking what other PEDs they would use besides steroids, go back and read my 1st post in this thread. AFAIK peptides are the new "it" thing in the PED world. You can get peptides that mimic HGH, peptides that prompt your body to produce excess HGH, all kinds of crazy stuff. There's also nootropics which I know very little about but are worth googling for 5 minutes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Wait a second. Please tell me why they "are not necessary in the NBA?" What about the pounding of an 82 game schedule could PED's not help. You do realize that their primary use is for recovery not for bulking up don't you? Get a grip homie.
    Because those players didn't need them, and were great NBA players.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    Because those players didn't need them, and were great NBA players.
    Of course not. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens were already two of the best players in baseball when they started taking them. As was Jose Canseco. But hey, they didn't need them. Open your eyes. PED abuse is huge in all sports even golf. Yes for sure Tiger Woods is dirty. He is linked to a dirty doctor. But hey he doesn't need them, I mean he's the best in the world.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Of course not. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens were already two of the best players in baseball when they started taking them. As was Jose Canseco. But hey, they didn't need them. Open your eyes. PED abuse is huge in all sports even golf. Yes for sure Tiger Woods is dirty. He is linked to a dirty doctor. But hey he doesn't need them, I mean he's the best in the world.
    Right, and Jeff Hornacek was PEDing like a MOFO because he couldn't have done it otherwise.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    Right, and Jeff Hornacek was PEDing like a MOFO because he couldn't have done it otherwise.
    I'm not talking about Jeff Hornacek and for the majority of his career PED's weren't prevalent in the NBA. Guys could have done well otherwise for sure. The problem is that many of the people against whom they are competing are using PEDs. Look at Clemens. He's ONE OF THE BEST PITCHERS EVER IN BASEBALL and Bonds is ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS EVER IN BASEBALL. Both however, were on PEDs. What makes you think that the NBA is any different? Who do you know in the NBA? Or MLB or the NFL? Who do you know who plays basketball overseas professionally? Because I know people who have and still play professionally. So that's where my info comes from. Yours on the other hand is pure fantasy. I'm not saying it's right or wrong or the whole league is doped but I am saying that it's real and it's a problem. If you can't see that then you just don't want to see it.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    There is NO DOUBT in my mind that a ton of guys are on HGH supplementation. Especially the elite guys like Kobe, Wade.. Le**** etc.
    fixed

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

I think PED's are rampant in the NBA, and probably have been for a while. I wouldn't be shocked at all if physical freaks like Karl Malone were on something. or prime Corey Maggette? jesus. (that's not to say PED users are always bulging with muscle; it's also about endurance and recovery)

currently, I doubt anabolic steroids are a big thing, but I'd bet HGH, synthetic testosterone, and other "new" drugs like bmulls mentioned are common.

It's unfair to accuse players without real evidence (but I'm going to anyway) and if I were a betting man I'd put my money on pre-2011 Dwight Howard and Dwyane Wade. I remember one year Wade returned from a major injury, and he was shockingly explosive. it was really noticeable, as in "I want what he's having." And Dwight had those freakish shoulder bulges that looked totally artificially enhanced.
    Last edited by FindingTim; 01-27-2013 at 08:19 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    There is NO DOUBT in my mind that a ton of guys are on HGH supplementation. Especially the elite guys like Kobe, Wade etc.

I would say at least 50 percent of the players are using that stuff

3-time NBA All-Star

Wade and Lebron must be on something. Your jaw just doesn't grow like that for no reason. I'm pretty sure that old business partner of Wade's that was trying to sue him a few years back even accused him of steroid use.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Why Kobe? Definitely see Wade doing it. Just look at his jaw.
    you think he's on PED's because of the shape of his jaw?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim
    And Dwight had those freakish shoulder bulges that looked totally artificially enhanced.
    That is his body structure.

"Big shoulder muscles" aren't indicative of PED use.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    you think he's on PED's because of the shape of his jaw?
    Facial structure changes are considered a side effect.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Good chance there is.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Facial structure changes are considered a side effect.