Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default Re: Tipping at restaurants?

Tripping at restaurants is the new shit.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Tipping is sort of weird. Sometimes when I go to out to eat with my family 5-8, I always tip like $10 because of the amount of times the waiter needs to go back and fourth getting drinks. You also need to keep in mind that my table size is 5-8 at times but that waiter is also servicing 2-4 other tables and could be servicing 20+ on any given hour. If I go out to eat with 1-2 people I only leave a $2-3 tip. There shouldn't be a required tip. That pisses me off. I've had waiters botch orders, take 30 minutes to bring me my drink, and appear as if I was just wasting their time asking them for refills and extra sauce.

   

Quote Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
    Why does America have this consensus that people should tip 15%?

I mean these waitress/waiters are making at least minimum wage PLUS tips. This is almost $20-40 per hour. How is that even fair? Thats a very very good wage for someone without a college education and doing some trifling work.

Other jobs like CPAs or attorneys do not get tipped. In fact, with these occupations, people try to take advantage of them and demand free consultations before even signing a retainer with them

No other occupation requires tips, but why restaurants? If those waiters/waitress feel they are underpaid, they can always get another job.

People who work much harder jobs don't even make $20 per hour.
    1st question: are you a total idiot?

2nd question: are you a total f--king idiot?

3rd question: have you ever thought about googling this matter if you had your questions?

sorry to be so harsh, but your numbers and your research make you look like a total rich-kid, sheltered buffoon in the OP. maybe you've learned your lesson since then, but i didn't read that far. but good luck with that shit, since you obviously need it......

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Every time this thread happens it depresses me how cheap and miserable people are. Be generous you pricks.
    Or how delusional Americans are about how prosperous their fellow Americans are.

I really can't wait for the time when people stop eating out and get back to home cooking (not anytime soon since this and the last generation of women can't cook for shit) just to shove it in the tip-whores faces. Make a big deal about tipping when they lay you off due to lack of demand. *fades back* "Hostess!"

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    Or how delusional Americans are about how prosperous their fellow Americans are.

I really can't wait for the time when people stop eating out and get back to home cooking (not anytime soon since this and the last generation of women can't cook for shit) just to shove it in the tip-whores faces. Make a big deal about tipping when they lay you off due to lack of demand. *fades back* "Hostess!"

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    1st question: are you a total idiot?

2nd question: are you a total f--king idiot?

3rd question: have you ever thought about googling this matter if you had your questions?

sorry to be so harsh, but your numbers and your research make you look like a total rich-kid, sheltered buffoon in the OP. maybe you've learned your lesson since then, but i didn't read that far. but good luck with that shit, since you obviously need it......
    Its pretty clear you're the idiot. I suspect you are a ****en waiter.

Go get your ass to work on a sunday you dipshit.
    Last edited by BMOGEFan; 01-06-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Every time this thread happens it depresses me how cheap and miserable people are. Be generous you pricks.
    What you don't understand is that they get paid in FULL...minimum wage to serve your. its their job to serve you. They have no other duties BUT to serve you.

So why should they be entitled to a tip? When they are simply doing their job.

If they don't like the wage of being a waitress, they can get another one.

Like some restaurants that charge over 30 dollars a person, the amount of tips become outrageous very easily when there are a party of 5 or more. At this point, charge over 30 a person, the restaurant can easily give their waitresses a higher wage.

Quote Originally Posted by red1

Who fcking cares you cheap miserable prick.
    HAHAH did someone not give you a tip when you were at work last night?

I don't work
    No wonder youre calling people cheap. Its easy to spend mommy and daddy's money. Try making your own money and see you being super "generous"

Quote Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
    What you don't understand is that they get paid in FULL...minimum wage to serve your. its their job to serve you. They have no other duties BUT to serve you.

So why should they be entitled to a tip? When they are simply doing their job.

If they don't like the wage of being a waitress, they can get another one.

Like some restaurants that charge over 30 dollars a person, the amount of tips become outrageous very easily when there are a party of 5 or more. At this point, charge over 30 a person, the restaurant can easily give their waitresses a higher wage.
    You are trying to make sense out of culture, not gonna happen. People don't tip because they think, "Oh these poor waiters make sh!t". People tip because...well it's the customs to. It's the sign that you appreciate the service, in the USA.

Just like...why do Japanese bow instead of shaking hands? Why do in many countries get offended if elders are called by first name? It's just their culture. Their sign of respect.

College superstar

It's one thing to not tip, that is your right and the beauty of the system, but these people who bitch about it and make threads ranting, come across like most people do who are complainers, straight up annoying. If you don't have the funds or want to spend the money it's okay, just don't whine about it. Please don't tip and leave it at that. It's when people try to justify it, is when it becomes pretty petty and whinny.

If tipping ended today, wages would have to increase, therefore leading to higher costs, so essentially it all would balance itself out and you would still be paying the same amount. Pretty freaking simple.
    Last edited by Norcaliblunt; 01-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.

I tip 20% every time out because the service folks make below minimum wage in Massachusetts. It's not breaking my bank, especially if the service is top-notch. If the service is bad, I still tip 20%...and then make a note to never visit that establishment again. Lord knows there's plenty of options out there should I feel like dining out.

Now...all that being said, tips aren't a divine right. They're a cultural courtesy to the service industry professionals who willingly place themselves at our disposal. If someone doesn't want to give one, that's no reason to fly off on a rant. You want guaranteed money, there are plenty of industries you can work in to get that.
    Last edited by Derka; 01-06-2013 at 03:16 PM.

I usually tip 20%. 10-15% if they weren't great, 25-30% if they were great.