Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Gimme Austin Rivers right now over 80% of the leagues point guards

He looks like he has no idea what he's doing out there

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Seriously how he gets so many minutes baffles me. But the Pelicans are one of the least talented teams in the league. I heard he wants to be the man. He wants to go to a team where he will the #1 option. Kid is delusional.

Seriously, for his dad to be a great coach and good player, and being coached by a great coach in college..he looks absolutely lost out there..has no business in this league right now, should've stayed another year at duke

NBA Superstar

lol i read the thread title and was like WTF. thankfully its a old thread. i think Rivers is one of the worst NBA players i've ever seen but i never watched his college highlights so i don't really know what he supposedly can do...

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Gimme Mark Price>>>>>>>>> 95% of today's pgs.
    ^
    True story!

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    His shots are not falling. Rivers is just on a cold streak. He'll be fine. In fact, he'll be one of the best players in his draft class within a few years.

Don't write off a rookie as a bust 20 games into his first season.
    Just a cold streak? Shots just aren't falling?

It's been 16 games. He's shooting 28% from the floor. That's more than just a cold streak.

Even in college, Austin Rivers was 85% blind confidence, 14% athleticism, and 1% actual skill.

The guy's testicles would not look out of place on Mount Rushmore. But that doesn't mean he will be a good player, who makes his team better.

If he evens out over time, and allows himself to patiently improve, I can see him being a better version of Jason Terry. Better because he can get to the hoop. But he needs a great coach.

I'd like to see Gregg Popovich take him on, to be honest. He could be Parker's successor. Parker was cocky and aggressive and inconsistent when he started out. You know what Tony Parker is without Popovich? I shudder to think. I can see him struggling Jeremy Lin-style somewhere. Perhaps not even a third guard on some team. Just another quick but undersized guard with no jumper who's not a great passer. Some players have to be made. Rivers is one.

If he never gets a great coach who can limit him and define his role for him, he'll never be a good player, IMO.

I haven't seen him that much, though, so, grain of salt.
    Last edited by Clifton; 12-06-2012 at 05:20 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KB2clutch
    not sure if you guys have seen clips of him but if you did youd agree with me, his handles are as smooth as anyone in the nba and his jumper is money and being the son of a coach you can guarantee that his bball iq is off the charts which makes him that more dangerous

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KB2clutch
    forgot about curry but even thats arguable, his jumper is just as good as curry's, his handles are better and hes much more athletic

Curry/Klay back court best shooting in the league.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    The guy should feel lucky to get so many minutes. He doesn't get to hate playing for New Orleans, he's really lucky to be in the league.
    He's very lucky to be in NO. Most other teams would have him playing at most 10 min a game by now. Give him a year or two and he will improve.

It's most def not a cold streak. He's been given plenty of consistent minutes to get into a groove... which he clearly has not. Watching the games, he just looks lost half of the time. He can't really spot up shoot, but when they try pick and rolls or isolation plays for him, most of the time it doesn't lead to anything. That's the part that's most disappointing to me.

His shooting can be attributed to being a rookie and un-motivated, but his IQ and inability to adapt is the most alarming. This is a Hornets team that's clearly rebuilding. With a star in Eric Gordon (same position as Rivers) out, everything was set for Rivers to come in and play meaningful minutes and fight for that ROY award. Instead, the exact opposite has happened. Not saying he is or is going to be a bust, but he's clearly heading toward the "highly touted player who significantly under-performed for his career relative to his draft stock".

Austin has shot poorly over the past 3 games with teams with legit defensive bigs

His game relies on getting to the rim every possible way

He scored his career high against the Clips

He'll find his way you cant blame a rook for shooting poorly. He's a great passer

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Austin has shot poorly over the past 3 games with teams with legit defensive bigs

His game relies on getting to the rim every possible way

He scored his career high against the Clips

He'll find his way you cant blame a rook for shooting poorly. He's a great passer
    How to first bolded part?

As for second bolded part : 27 Minutes. 3 Assists. 1.5 Turnovers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1S4rJSz8FaA

Even if this is just a "cold streak" for Rivers, and he breaks out of it and turns into a legit NBA player, Skip Bayless (as always) sounds like a huge moron. Said he'd have no problem if Rivers had gone number two in the draft. There was absolutely nothing that indicated Rivers had top 2-3 talent. I thought he was a reach at #10.