Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast

Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    That would be the 2nd vet big they need. Stretch 4. Brings something different to the team.
    Wouldn't be the worst signing.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Rick Bonnell: Also, Bobcats have offered power forward Anthony Tolliver a 1-year contract. Tolliver is weighing his options next few days. Twitter @rick_bonnell

Free agent Anthony Tolliver told me Lakers have entered mix as possible team for him & he visited Charlotte Monday. Tolliver said the Lakers recently called his agent, Larry Fox, to express interest. He said talks are still preliminary but he would have definite interest if the Lakers turn out to be a serious option.

Chris Tomasson: 3 more teams interested in FA F Anthony Tolliver are Knicks Magic & Spurs, joining Lakers Bobcats Jazz Bulls. Decision hoping made next week Twitter @christomasson
    Read more at http://*********.com/rumors.htm#2jeXGAOto637fhOY.99

The Charlotte Bobcats have signed Anthony Tolliver to a one-year contract.

[QUOTE]"John

"It made me feel so good that there's a team out there that has so much belief in my game," Jefferson says of his dinner with Higgins and Clifford. "I was like, 'Done deal.' And then when they started talking money, it was like, 'Oh my god!' It was icing on the cake."5 Grantland

"They used to call me The Black Hole, and that's really who I was," Jefferson says. "But going to Utah just matured me in so many ways. I'm past the stage in my career where I feel like I have to take all the shots." Grantland
    Good luck to Al and the Bobcats with that. Pretty sure they'll need it.

No team has had a more interesting offseason than the Utah Jazz.

General manager Dennis Lindsey passed on re-signing four starters, traded up to the No. 9 pick in June's draft, acquired three veterans who rarely played last season, signed a journeyman point guard, and grabbed the MVP of the Las Vegas Summer League championship.

He was like one of those guys in your fantasy league that unceasingly adds and drops just for the sake of it.

Now here's the $55 million question: What will these changes result in?
    Win Shares

To make a decent guess, I used Basketball-Reference's 2013-14 per-36 projections to estimate win shares for each player on the Jazz's roster. Check it out:

Enes Kanter (31 min.): 4.0
    Derrick Favors (35 min.): 5.2
    Gordon Hayward (37 min.): 5.4
    Alec Burks (28 min.): 2.2
    Trey Burke (28 min.): 2.2
    Rudy Gobert (10 min.): N/A
    Jeremy Evans (10 min.): 2.2
    Marvin Williams (16 min.): 1.9
    Brandon Rush (17 min.): 2.1
    John Lucas III (10 min.): 1.1
    Ian Clark (10 min.): 0.7
    Richard Jefferson (5 min.): 0.6
    Andris Biedrins (3 min.): 0.4
    Total: 28
    Yikes. Last year, 28 wins would've tied Utah with Sacramento for the third-worst record in the Western Conference. (Note: I realize my guesstimate on minutes won't be perfect -- who knows how much time Ty Corbin will give to any of these guys, especially veterans like Williams and Rush -- but I think it's a decent approximation.)
    28 is pretty optimistic I'd say.

Here's the good news: When compared with the ex-starting five, the new lineup looks pretty strong. They combined for 19 wins -- just seven less than what Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, Gordon Hayward, Randy Foye, and Mo Williams collected last season. Not bad for group that has an average of just two years of experience per player.
    Exactly. Very optimistic!

Other Stats

Based on the same numbers, we can expect some solid per-game averages from Utah's collection of lottery picks.

Gordon Hayward, for instance, would up his scoring from 14.1 points per game to a team-leading 16.7. He'd also grab 4.2 rebounds and hand out 3.7 assists.
    I'd hope to see more assists from him.

As for the bigs, Derrick Favors would collect a double-double -- 14.5 points, 10.6 rebounds -- and block 2.2 shots per contest
    About what I figure based on his numbers last year but as his number of shots has went up his FG% has went down so who knows what he'll do playing against starters and not bench players.

while Enes Kanter's averages would jump from 7.2 points and 4.3 rebounds to 13.8 and 9.0, respectively

And, although they come from the smallest players of the bunch, Burks' and Burke's stats would be big: No. 10 would average double figures for the first time with 11.8 PPG, while the rookie floor general would gather 4.7 assists an outing.
    These 3 need to step up as scorers.

stats for Derrick Favors are predicted to jump from 9.4 points, 7.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocks to 14.5 points, 10.6 rebounds and 2.2 blocks. Although these numbers are estimates calculated by one guy, the projections at least look hopeful.
    Hopeful for the supposed franchise player would be closer to 20/12/3.

Another hopeful prediction is the NBA success of rookie point guard Trey Burke. A recent article by Purple and Blues predicted the Minnesota T-Wolves, who drafted Burke then promptly traded him to Utah, will be kicking themselves for giving him up.

The article suggested if Burke can get a way from his 3-point shooter mentality, he can become a versatile NBA guard. It also referenced a highlight video in which Burke didn't make a single 3-pointer, yet was still effective. Purple and Blues believes Burke will be the next big thing for the Jazz if he allows himself to grow and improve each year.
    Minnesota will be sorry for giving up a guy they drafted for another team? Did anyone else see the summer league?

Jeff Goodman: Agent Justin Zanik -- who has worked with Andy Miller the last few years -- is on the verge of joining Utah Jazz front office, per source. Twitter

Jeff Goodman: Justin Zanik's title with Utah Jazz expected to be assistant general manager, source told ESPN. Twitter

Jody Genessy: Justin Zanik will make the leap from player agent to Utah Jazz assistant general manager, a source confirmed. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

[QUOTE]Jody Genessy: Per his agency's website, Justin Zanik was "an integral part of ASM

During Al Jefferson's three seasons in Utah, the Jazz routinely finished in the bottom half of the league in a variety of defensive statistics.

From the 2010-11 season to this past year, the Jazz were never ranked among the NBA's top 15 teams in opponents' points per game or opponents' field-goal percentages.

Jefferson was particularly weak against the pick and roll. According to Yahoo Sports! writer Dan Devine, the Jazz finished in the 20s (24th, 20th and 21st) in opponent points per possession during Jefferson's time in Salt Lake City, and the Jazz allowed "an eye-popping 9.2 more points per 100 possessions with Big Al in the middle than when he sat last season."
    Who wanted to bring Al back? They will definitely be a lot better defensively this year.

[QUOTE]During a recent interview with Grantland's Zach Lowe, Jefferson acknowledged his defensive deficiencies.

"It ain't no secret around the league that I struggle with my defense," Jefferson told Lowe. "My pick-and-roll defense is my weakness. And that's mind over matter. I just gotta suck it up

[QUOTE]Skeptics around the league will tell you the Jefferson signing might represent the perfect "best of both worlds" endgame for Charlotte

Jorge Sierra: ASM's Andy Miller announces Justin Zanik leaving the agency effective August 31 to join the Utah Jazz as assistant GM. Twitter @*********