Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 LastLast
    -primetime-
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
    You've never owned a Ferrari or been in one, have you? Comfort, reliability and durability are all sacrificed for speed and performance. You need to change timing belts on your Ferrari more often than the one on your 1978 Pinto. All kinds of things wear down fast because of the extreme strain all that power puts on them. And don't even think about racking up 200,000 miles on the odometer of your Ferrari like you could on a Civic.
    oh come on man it was a reference...

cars are more complex than shoes but it was the price tag that i was getting at

make it Lexus and Mazda then

BMW and VW

any car that is expensive vs. any car that is cheap

by the way performance would be the main focus of Ferrari and that is why I picked them...the fact that they are uncomfortable or need to be serviced every 2 months shouldn't relate to shoes...

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
    You've never owned a Ferrari or been in one, have you? Comfort, reliability and durability are all sacrificed for speed and performance. You need to change timing belts on your Ferrari more often than the one on your 1978 Pinto. All kinds of things wear down fast because of the extreme strain all that power puts on them. And don't even think about racking up 200,000 miles on the odometer of your Ferrari like you could on a Civic.
    Nike and ferrari are terrible comparisons. Nike symbolizes quality, comfort and style. Ferrari is a high sports car brand designed for performance, style and class. A ferrari is not built to be ran compared to an everday shoe. Get a vette or a mustand GT for that. Only a fool would try to put 200K on a Ferrari.
    But back to the thread. I recieved a pair of Marbs kicks last year as a gift. The shoe actually is comfortable for it to be a $15 dollar shoe. I wouldn't say it's as good as my Shox, but compared to the price I was impressed. I thought Lebron's comment was weak. Nike is committed to making dollars. If Lebron was garbage, Nike wouldn't be interested in him. Nike also has a standard to uphold also. If Lebron pull a Kobe-like case, they would drop him tommorrow.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    Dude, I've played with cheap shoes before, trust me, they aren't as bad as you make them sound. I don't know how they last throughout 82 games of basketball, but I mean cheap shoes are nothing to be ashamed off.

I remember playing in Olajuwon's spaldings that I got for like 25 dollars at Payless Shoe Source, and the tennis shoes worked great. I know they weren't the greatest design, but if you can play basketball then who the hell cares.

I bet you are one of those dudes who demands his mommy and daddy buy him nothing less than $100 pair of shoes. Get over yourself already, GEEZ!

I got my Hakeem Spaldings at K-Mart for 29.99 back in 95.

Anybody remember when Shaq and Hakeem where supposed to play one-on-one on pay-per-view?

Anybody remember the Xavier McDaniels? They were black with the brown cross stripes with the X in the middle? I had those to. I think I got them for 29.99 also.

Hell I played in Junior High in White Low Top Classic Chuck Taylors with 5 pairs of socks and two black ankle braces I stole from Kroger grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by -primetime-
    oh come on man it was a reference...

cars are more complex than shoes but it was the price tag that i was getting at

make it Lexus and Mazda then

BMW and VW

any car that is expensive vs. any car that is cheap

by the way performance would be the main focus of Ferrari and that is why I picked them...the fact that they are uncomfortable or need to be serviced every 2 months shouldn't relate to shoes...
    You shouldn't have compared a shoe to a Ferrari. Or any car for that matter. Although even a shoe should be maintained.....I don't walk around in my basketball shoe I play in on the court, neither would someone drive their ferrari every day.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Town-Raised

I got my Hakeem Spaldings at K-Mart for 29.99 back in 95.

Anybody remember when Shaq and Hakeem where supposed to play one-on-one on pay-per-view?

Anybody remember the Xavier McDaniels? They were black with the brown cross stripes with the X in the middle? I had those to. I think I got them for 29.99 also.

Hell I played in Junior High in White Low Top Classic Chuck Taylors with 5 pairs of socks and two black ankle braces I stole from Kroger grocery store.
    If you can play in a pair of Chuck's (which every old-school baller did), you can definitely play in Marbs shoe. His shoe is much better.

-primetime-

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    You shouldn't have compared a shoe to a Ferrari. Or any car for that matter. Although even a shoe should be maintained.....I don't walk around in my basketball shoe I play in on the court, neither would someone drive their ferrari every day.
    it was a general reference to the price tag and preformance...

they are both over priced but they both preform better...it isn't that bad of a comparison

seriously, I didn't mean for you guys to get into discussions about changing timing belts and all that...it was a simple "hey nike's are $150 but they are better and hey ferrari's are $150k but they are better" kinda thing...

-primetime-

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    If you can play in a pair of Chuck's (which every old-school baller did), you can definitely play in Marbs shoe. His shoe is much better.
    now that I believe...

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease ekzistenz's Avatar

The design and advertising alone behind a $150 Nike shoe would be more then the entire production cost of the Starbury's. Obviously though there isn't a $135 quality difference between the two. Nike sells their shoes for more to turn over a greater profit because they can.

I'd say the engineers behind the design would do more tests on weight distribution, air pocket placement and design for comfort and visual appearance then those of the Starbury's.

Banned

seriously, I didn't mean for you guys to get into discussions about changing timing belts and all that...it was a simple "hey nike's are $150 but they are better and hey ferrari's are $150k but they are better" kinda thing...
    My point was that the Nike shoes, as well as a Ferrari, have a specific purpose in mind. Not everyone is looking for their shoe or car to do the things they do.

I haven't tried the new Starburys, but I've owned my share of basketball shoes, and I have a hard time imagining that they could be worse than some of the pairs I've owned. I've had a pair of Reebok sneakers that were something around 120 bucks back in 1998 that just about permanently disfigured my feet. I've had a pair of Converse Dennis Rodmans that felt like someone attached weights to my ankles. Those shoes were over a hundred bucks as well. I've also had really good shoes that I got for 75 bucks.

There are so many variable with shoes, it's not even funny. A couple of reviews don't tell you much about what the shoes will be like for you.

Local High School Star

He thought about it for a moment and said, "I'd rather own than be owned."
    i guess that means he would rather own a pair of sneakers than have the sneakers own him? or am i missing something here

College superstar

He's saying that Nike owns LeBron and he is like a puppet or a pawn to them. And it's a great quote at face value, but when you think more about it, LeBron is exploiting Nike comparably to however much you think they are exploiting him. I mean he has his logo on college jerseys in place of the Nike sign and he didn't even go to college. It's not like he's a slave of their's, he's getting rewarded very handsomly.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    He's saying that Nike owns LeBron and he is like a puppet or a pawn to them. And it's a great quote at face value, but when you think more about it, LeBron is exploiting Nike comparably to however much you think they are exploiting him. I mean he has his logo on college jerseys in place of the Nike sign and he didn't even go to college. It's not like he's a slave of their's, he's getting rewarded very handsomly.

i dont know that that quote even makes much sense. because they charge 100+ for a shoe, they own lebron? marbury doesnt own the company either. its steve and barrys

College superstar

exactly.

Local High School Star

I would rather be owned...

100s of millions of dollars and security for your family forever > what others think

money is money....period

unless you are the boss at your job you are being owned...
    you act like marbury is poor or something....

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Some prefer to go for the name brand and are ready to cash out $150 for shoes, even if they can't afford it. While others don't give much thought to the name brand. I'm just glad I have shoes to wear unlike millions of kids in the world today.