Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Guys like Jackson Vroman and Charles Gaines are getting big money in Korea

$350,000/year doesn't seem like much considering what NBA players make but it's not far from the NBA minimum and it's guaranteed money. That's a huge payday for guys that have no shot at being in the NBA. Rod Benson, Rodney White, and newly undrafted Malcolm Thomas have just signed there too.

Pretty incredible how much money there is in obscure basketball leagues. I've heard about guys like Cheick Samb getting paid $10,000/week in countries like the UAE, Iran and Lebanon.

Post some overseas basketball salaries you guys know.

Banned

Default Re: Guys like Jackson Vroman and Charles Gaines are getting big money in Korea

To elevate the quality of the league, those kind of wages are musts.

I hope dudes like Ron Artest will play there, or any developing leagues in other countris, when their careers are winding down.

Default Re: Guys like Jackson Vroman and Charles Gaines are getting big money in Korea

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    To elevate the quality of the league, those kind of wages are musts.

I hope dudes like Ron Artest will play there, or any developing leagues in other countris, when their careers are winding down.
    Yeah it's definitely good for the game.

Goes to show that any good D1 player can get paid if he's willing to play anywhere.

Decent college freshman

This was talked about but was never confirmed so it may not be true but I will share it anyway.

Julius Hodge who was a first round draft pick of the Nuggets played in the Australian league (NBL) 2 seasons ago. He joined the team mid season and was reportedly being paid $500 000 to play that half a season. He played about 10 games and decided to leave the team as he said that not all of his payment had yet been made.

I think this was a big overstatement but there was no doubt he was payed a large number to play the remaining portion of the season.

I know some of our players get payed $200 000 plus a car and an apartment/house from the richer clubs.

I got a friend called Kevin Jolley Jr that it was making 15k a month to play in Lebanon, and now he's making 1,500/month in Portugal

There's some guys in Portugal getting 20.000dlrs/month, it's the best you can get here.
    Last edited by Maga_1; 06-28-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

And I thought I was making money... **** I knew I should've sticked to basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    And I thought I was making money... **** I knew I should've sticked to basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    $350,000/year doesn't seem like much considering what NBA players make but it's not far from the NBA minimum and it's guaranteed money. That's a huge payday for guys that have no shot at being in the NBA. Rod Benson, Rodney White, and newly undrafted Malcolm Thomas have just signed there too.

Pretty incredible how much money there is in obscure basketball leagues. I've heard about guys like Cheick Samb getting paid $10,000/week in countries like the UAE, Iran and Lebanon.

Post some overseas basketball salaries you guys know.
    damn these guys making 100 grand more than me? ugh shows how easy it is to get big money in basketball.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    damn these guys making 100 grand more than me? ugh shows how easy it is to get big money in basketball.
    Perhaps on one hand, but a lot of the fellows mentioned were NBA prospects at some point, still making them amongst the best ball players in the world. I wouldn't say it's necessarily easy to reach such a status.

I've had a couple of acquaintances who, I wouldn't say had bad overseas experiences, but it surely wasn't as if they were being paid a high sum of money to play. The way they explained it, a lot of professional basketball overseas is not what a lot of us make it out to be. He said it was like having a normal job, making enough money to feed his family and survive but that was a about it. Except, of course, his job was playing basketball, which still sounds pretty cool - at least for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Easy8
    This was talked about but was never confirmed so it may not be true but I will share it anyway.

Julius Hodge who was a first round draft pick of the Nuggets played in the Australian league (NBL) 2 seasons ago. He joined the team mid season and was reportedly being paid $500 000 to play that half a season. He played about 10 games and decided to leave the team as he said that not all of his payment had yet been made.

I think this was a big overstatement but there was no doubt he was payed a large number to play the remaining portion of the season.

I know some of our players get payed $200 000 plus a car and an apartment/house from the richer clubs.
    No way he was getting $500,000 from the 36ers, the entire salary cap for the team was around $850,000 back then. There were payment problems, something to do with the money being transferred to his US account, but the team did sort that out and paid him upfront for the remainder of the season and had a handshake agreement with him that he'd play the rest of the year. He then skipped the next game and asked for his release (and then had to pay back the money he was advanced to get his release).

Thanks for these responses guys, interesting stuff.

I've wondered about the Puerto Rican league salaries since they always seem to attract quite a few fringe NBA players.

Most of these guys are at least high level D1 players but there's guys that played D2 ball that now make close to a million per year in Europe.

It appears that there's really good money playing in the middle east but no guarantee of receiving it.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Isn't Rod Benson in Korea?

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Isn't Rod Benson in Korea?
    Yeah, that's what I meant in the first paragraph. He played there last year as well, I believe.

National High School Star

Marcus Slaughter didn't make the NBA but was on the Lakers preseason team a few years ago. He got 600,000 for one season, I think it was in Turkey.

National High School Star

I live in Korea and played with some of the guys in the pro league here. The biggest problem is that many of these leagues don't allow more than 1 or 2 non-native players per team so getting that spot isn't as easy as it seems. Ye the salary for KBL is quite nice, and there is under the table stuff that goes on.