Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Default Re: 2013-2014 Observation Deck

Happy UNC is back on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    Happy UNC is back on the schedule
    What do you think of the SEC this year? Haven't really followed recruiting outside of Big Ten teams.

Jim Boeheim's take on paying student-athletes:

"That's really the most idiotic suggestion of all time," Boeheim said. "I don't believe players should be paid. I believe they are getting a tremendous opportunity."
    Not sure I agree with this. Yes, a full scholarship to (mostly) world-class institutions IS a tremendous opportunity, but he is glossing over so much more of the story. Never really liked Boeheim, always seems to be so hyperbolic. Also, are we forgetting that these "student"-athletes have him making millions? Not saying they should too, but you'd think he'd be more sensitive to the subtleties of this issue. In general, just rubbed me the wrong way...

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    Jim Boeheim's take on paying student-athletes:

Not sure I agree with this. Yes, a full scholarship to (mostly) world-class institutions IS a tremendous opportunity, but he is glossing over so much more of the story. Never really liked Boeheim, always seems to be so hyperbolic. Also, are we forgetting that these "student"-athletes have him making millions? Not saying they should too, but you'd think he'd be more sensitive to the subtleties of this issue. In general, just rubbed me the wrong way...
    Boeheim is an awful human being, but seeing him bitch and cry when he loses makes it all worth it

Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

LSU gets a commit from 2014 PG Jaylen Patterson.. only a 3 star but he is good friends with Ben Simmons. Simmons' godfather is our asst coach David Patrick (aussie connection which got us Darcy Malone). Really starting to like our chances with Ben.
    Last edited by Johnny Jones; 10-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    I think its only the USA Today poll. AP poll probably early next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    I think its only the USA Today poll. AP poll probably early next month.
    yeah sorry, wasn't thinking

Kansas at 21? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    Kansas at 21? lol.
    The list was made before Wiggins signed.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneWash0
    Lets compare Wiggins and Jabari Parker. Skill breakdown

http://www.morningpickup.com/wiggins-vs-parker/

Pretty good comparison, he was dead wrong when he said their shot blocking ability is even tho... Wiggins is >>. And his jumpshot is much better than what is was in HS already.

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    The list was made before Wiggins signed.
    Even then, lol.

My goodness did McAdoo look terrible in the Blue-White game. I don't understand his game at all. It physically hurts me to watch him play. I have a stomachache right now because of him.

I understand that he wants to face up as that's what he will likely need to do to carve a role in the NBA, but he just can't play that way. The guy has the worst touch on a shot I have ever seen and he always seems off balanced. I swear he was going to break the backboard a few times. His handle looks slightly improved and he seems more assertive with his decisions... Unfortunately his decisions are awful ones. I think he's the most infuriating basketball player I have watched in in the Roy Williams era. Either him or Larry Drew, and that should say all I need to say. At least I knew, at most, Drew would be an average college player. McAdoo could be a great one if his game wasn't going in the wrong direction.

The freshman looked better than advertised. Isaiah Hicks seems to be everything McAdoo wants to be. He can actually handle, he has actual touch on his shots, he just looks really good... Not sure where his playing time comes from, all I know is that he needs a lot of run. Britt bringing speed back to the Carolina PG position and Meeks is a load. He will be a double digit rebounder before it's all said an done.

PJ is far and away the best player on this team. UNC will probably lose to Richmond without him. He's that good and the rest of the team is that average.

Thank God 2014 is a great class, 2015 has potential, and 2016 is lining up to be an alltimer. Last and this year is Roy paying for his California recruiting mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Thank God 2014 is a great class, 2015 has potential, and 2016 is lining up to be an alltimer. Last and this year is Roy paying for his California recruiting mistakes.
    I'm guessing it's more than a little bit likely UNC lands both Harry Giles and Seventh Woods, then? Who are the other main targets in that class?

Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, and Seventh Woods right now.

There's also two elite guards in North Carolina, Junior Smith and Kwe Parker. They're likely a package deal, though, and I'm not sure how many Roy is looking at for 2016. Think they grew up together, same aau, same high school, best friends, etc. I don't know if you seen Kwe before, but he's not far behind Seventh as an athlete. Probably about the same type of bounce, just not as powerful. There's also Braxton Blackwell to keep an eye on. He's Coach Rob's nephew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQTpbfGFwFg
    Parker and JR. have crazy chemistry. I know they like UNC little, just not sure how much Roy likes them.

Recruiting Dozier should help with Seventh and Giles as all three of those are tight. Obviously Theo and Giles played together at Wesleyan as well. Not sure where we stand Seventh overall, although I heard we have a good start with Tatum. Giles is the interesting one.

Giles was looking like a generational talent before his injury. Telep said as much, you had Roy, K, and Cal using valuable recruiting time watching a freshman workout (which was unheard of), and for speculation, someone said they overheard Roy say Giles is the best freshman he has ever seen. True or not, there's a reason why he's the youngest player Roy has offered.

Naturally you have to think he's a one and done type of player. The type of player UNC has had an unbelievably difficult time recruiting ever since Harrison Barnes. Had a chance at Shabazz, Vonleh, Wiggins, Randle, and now likely Vaughn... All will probably choose another school. It's not completely on Roy or UNC (Bazz's father, Vonleh reclassified, Vaughn's connection to Kaffey), but it's still some incredible dry spell at a program like North Carolina. Especially with Shabazz, Randle, and Vaughn being Roy's #1 targets respectively in each class. Although Roy stopped recruiting Shabazz mid way. The Randle one still annoys me how we didn't even make his final cut. I know he did it out of respect for Roy not to keep him hanging. It still bothers me.

Then there's UNC's history with recruiting North Carolina kids. When was the last time UNC (not just Roy) went all in on an elite North Carolina recruit and lost? Shavlik Randolph to dook. That was like 2000, or around there. When was the last time an elite North Carolina recruit left the state of North Carolina when they were a top target for an instate school? Not Quincy Miller, not John Wall, and not Brandon Rush. Those guys either weren't recruited or were afterthought recruits for one reason or another. And Coach Smith owned the state and that was in the middle of K's peak, since we are going into the 90s. It's probably been decades.

If history follows suit, then that makes this a dook-UNC battle. Getting Theo might prove to be very beneficial in more ways than one. Also Giles is from a pro-UNC family, if that matters at all. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, though. Plenty of time left in this recruitment and, personally, I'm just so skeptical with one and done recruits lately. That said, you probably couldn't ask for a better start for a recruit of this level.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Kansas going all the way. Bandwagoning is fun