Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: HS basketball player passes ball to mentally challenged player on the other team

WAIT!? He was the MANAGER? I'm sure there was a much more deserving manager than a mentally handicapped kid who can't even brush his teeth by himself let alone "manage" a team. I understand it's a bullshit role and only the losers get it, but got damn, I'm sure some loser who didn't make the team would have loved to have been the manager and got to travel with the team. I hate parents who let their handicapped kids steal from deserving kids. It's ****ing bullshit and their retardedness is why their kids a retard in the first place.

Default Re: HS basketball player passes ball to mentally challenged player on the other team

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    A little different, but when I was in 9th grade we played someone with a nub for a left hand yet he still always beat us going right. Would it have been offsides to completely force him left every time he had the ball?
    perfectly fair.

I was also in 9th grade.

But the reason I stole it is because this wasn't some special opportunity for this kid to play. He was legitimately playing on this team.

My thinking is that if they are going to play during the meaty portions of a game, then you gotta play against them like anybody else.

Banned

I am going to have to agree with Budadiii here.

It was a nice moment and I was very happy for the kid but after awhile it get's pretty pathetic. It was too forced and makes mentally challenged people look bad. He missed a ton of shots.

Just because he's mentally challenged doesn't mean people should feel bad for him. I would want to earn my spot the best way I can or earn a bucket the best way I can.

I guess society does view these people as weak minded individuals and think they can spoon feed a moment and call it "his dream", all for making themselves feel good about it.

I like the kid on the other team that passed him the ball. He probably thought it was pretty pathetic and he walked away after passing him the ball.

It's like feeling so sorry and bad for a drunk homeless guy that you go ahead and buy him a beer. It rubs me the wrong way that they were forcing him to shoot and make a shot. Best thing to do is treat these mentally challenged individuals equally as if they have no problems.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    WAIT!? He was the MANAGER? I'm sure there was a much more deserving manager than a mentally handicapped kid who can't even brush his teeth by himself let alone "manage" a team. I understand it's a bullshit role and only the losers get it, but got damn, I'm sure some loser who didn't make the team would have loved to have been the manager and got to travel with the team. I hate parents who let their handicapped kids steal from deserving kids. It's ****ing bullshit and their retardedness is why their kids a retard in the first place.
    As harsh as the bolded statement is, but it's true.

I don't like how parents think that their kids are entitled because they are handicapped.

Being team manager is fine and make him work and bust his ass. Then he would feel like a normal teen.

As he gets older, even being mentally challenged, he would realize how pathetic it was. He will think highly of his classmates but his moment may have overshadowed the season for the team.

NBA lottery pick

I love the 3 second interview with the kid at around 40 seconds in.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    perfectly fair.

I was also in 9th grade.

But the reason I stole it is because this wasn't some special opportunity for this kid to play. He was legitimately playing on this team.

My thinking is that if they are going to play during the meaty portions of a game, then you gotta play against them like anybody else.
    Seems like something Curb Your Enthusiasm would make an episode about. I think Larry David would have picked that kid's pocket too.

Banned

perfectly fair.

I was also in 9th grade.

Nobody said retards couldn't ball. If they are legit ballers than you do what it takes to win.

From this video, it seems not only that this guy was retarded but he couldn't ball.

There was another video of a retarded kid that was legitimately on the team and he was nailing 3 pointers like crazy and I think he hit a game winner or something like that.

NVM: It was JMac. Jason McElwain. He was more deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Seems like something Curb Your Enthusiasm would make an episode about. I think Larry David would have picked that kid's pocket too.
    That is a situation Larry David would find himself in.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Nobody said retards couldn't ball. If they are legit ballers than you do what it takes to win.

From this video, it seems not only that this guy was retarded but he couldn't ball.

There was another video of a retarded kid that was legitimately on the team and he was nailing 3 pointers like crazy and I think he hit a game winner or something like that.

NVM: It was JMac. Jason McElwain. He was more deserving.
    The kid I was playing against could not play basketball. I do not know why he was on the team.

It wasn't like he was put in the game with a minute left and a 30 point difference in score.

He was playing throughout the whole game. And he couldn't play basketball.

He'd get a pass sometimes and he'd just hold the ball or attempt to dribble and he can barely control the ball. He wouldn't really move around the court on offense. He'd basically just stand there.

I have no idea why he was playing. It was a pretty awkward position for me to be in guarding him.

I was thinking "should I take it easy on him? But he's just holding the ball out there... should I steal it?" "Alright, this is getting ridiculous, I'm taking it".

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Heartwarming. What's his username on here?

Banned

I was thinking "should I take it easy on him? But he's just holding the ball out there... should I steal it?" "Alright, this is getting ridiculous, I'm taking it".

I just damn spit on my computer....

What a shock, the 2 with a combined 16 red bars are the only ones with negative things to say

great story though. The news needs more of this kinda stuff

NBA Superstar

Yup, that's classic Larry David. He'd make that steal and score the bucket. Then the righteous fans would turn on him, swearing. Suzy would be going off. And Larry would just be standing at midcourt responding in vein, "But he's a role playing handy! A role playing handy!" and the camera would pan out as theme music kicked in. Cut to credits.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    What a shock, the 2 with a combined 16 red bars are the only ones with negative things to say

great story though. The news needs more of this kinda stuff
    I didn't say anything negative. I thought it was cool that they let him do that but it was getting pretty pathetic when he was missing.

I just don't like how people look down on the mentally challenged by giving them these fake moments.

The best thing to do is treat them as our equals. I didn't have a problem when the other autistic kids were shooting and scoring because they can actually play.

It is sad when people do this to the mentally challenged. He was embarrassing himself out there for the sake of those people at the school, coaches and teammates to feel good about themselves for allowing this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I didn't say anything negative. I thought it was cool that they let him do that but it was getting pretty pathetic when he was missing.

I just don't like how people look down on the mentally challenged by giving them these fake moments.

The best thing to do is treat them as our equals. I didn't have a problem when the other autistic kids were shooting and scoring because they can actually play.

It is sad when people do this to the mentally challenged. He was embarrassing himself out there for the sake of those people at the school, coaches and teammates to feel good about themselves for allowing this to happen.
    Exactly. At some point it just becomes embarrassing for the kid. He seems like he has some sort of comprehension and was clearly upset and embarrassed after missing those shots. It also interferes with the game itself. These kids work very hard to be out there playing and the last thing they want is some handicapped kid dragging everyone else down. It was a 10 point lead and the opposing team was forced to put on the brakes because they didn't want to look like douche bags. You're exactly right on your last sentence. It's clear they want something to take their mind off their own problems and have something to cheer about for their own selfish reasons, not the kids. He was embarrassed, plain and simple.