Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice Where do you stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle
    lucky for you, since theres probably 10 others for each one of you that is in a foster home, and end up a menace to society
    I don't know the total statistics on that. I've personally never saw any studys done to where majority of kids that are adopted away or given away by the mother end up in foster homes. It just seems people throw it out there assuming.

But it could be totally right they most do end up in foster homes for a very long time if not all their childhood.

Besides that, I still feel it's wrong to abort a child unless the mother is in major danger of losing her life doing so.

Great college starter Black Joker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Pro-choice but I can understand why people are Pro-life. Nothing wrong with not wanting fetuses/babies die.
    +1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I don't know the total statistics on that. I've personally never saw any studys done to where majority of kids that are adopted away or given away by the mother end up in foster homes. It just seems people throw it out there assuming.

But it could be totally right they most do end up in foster homes for a very long time if not all their childhood.

Besides that, I still feel it's wrong to abort a child unless the mother is in major danger of losing her life doing so.

but do you really believe in making that a law? i can sympathize with having that view, but its different when you want to make it an across the board law for everyone. and the law is a lot more black and white than we are when discussing these things.

but do you really believe in making that a law? i can sympathize with having that view, but its different when you want to make it an across the board law for everyone. and the law is a lot more black and white than we are when discussing these things.
    That's where I contradict myself. I don't think it should be law, I think people have that right to make that choice for themselves. The only thing it's effecting is the mother and the possible life inside her. It doesn't really externally effect anyone else.

So in saying that, it pretty much says I'm pro-choice, but I don't think it's right to abort in most cases.

It's kind of like saying, let people decide if they want to drink alcohol or not, but I think personally it's wrong to do so.

But if you are an adult there is no reason to get pregnant after consensual sex, unless you want to get pregnant. At least, not where I am from. Where things like birth control and morning after pills are readily available, and everyone knows where to get them, anonymously if they need too

so what age would that apply? because i think heat of the moment and irresponsibility doesn't really have an age limit where anyone is flawless.
    Just, adult. 18 or 21. That's technicalities though. I'm not a politician, I'm not getting ready to implement this or anything, it's just a thought.

That's the way things should be as an adult. If you are irresponsible to a fault that has a consequence. If I am being irresponsible, buy 20 cars that I can't afford, I can't just go and "abort" that debt. If I throw a rock from my apartment and someone gets killed, they send my ass to jail.

But you probably thing that is normal. Then it suddenly doesn't matter if it's a "heat of the moment" thing.

Abortion after a certain stage, it may not technically murdering someone. Not according to the law. But you are definitely killing something, or doing something very close to that. That should not be something that you can just do.

This pro-life vs pro-choice debate brings another issue into the picture. Should an unborn baby (whether we are talking 1 week into pregnancy or 6 months in) be considered human? Can they be given human rights to the point where abortion would be considered first-hand murder?

If one considers an unborn baby a human, they would support the pro-life stance (much more so than not). It is not so true the other way around. I personally do not think an unborn baby in fetus form is the same as a born baby. There is a difference between the two, but I know there are a lot of people out there that believe the moment the egg and sperm meet, it is considered a human (I think that early stage is called blastula or something). Even abortion at that stage, they consider to be murder.

I don't know, tough issue.....
    Last edited by bladefd; 05-13-2010 at 02:53 PM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Didn't read my second post? I'm not saying it should be like that under every circumstance. Being underage or having been raped would definitely be exceptions.

But if you are an adult there is no reason to get pregnant after consensual sex, unless you want to get pregnant. At least, not where I am from. Where things like birth control and morning after pills are readily available, and everyone knows where to get them, anonymously if they need too.

And obviously you would get sterilized when you get an abortion. That would be the method. I know it's harsh, but an abortion is not something you should get for free with a pack of cornflakes either.
    yeah, I hadnt read your second post. I still disagree with you wholeheartedly. WHats the difference between the Morning After Pill (or other types of contraception that terminate a fertilized egg) and an abortion? I dont see a difference.

I would find it hard to ever go 100% to either side of this issue. You need to take into account things like rape. You also need to look at if it is allowed, you need to inform the parents when the child is 15, you need to bring the father into the decision, there should be some counciling before you do this. Besides the aborted child this is much riskier for the mother than most people realize.

The worste part is that people try to take the stigma away from abortion. Even if it is legal it shouldn't be looked at as no big deal, it is a big deal. And the father should have the same rights. It is his child too and if the child is kept he will be repospisible for it then, and maybe he wants to keep it and reaise it himself.

Abortion would be so much of an easier subject to talk about if you could just mail the baby to Russia and everything would be okay.

I always find it funny when a bunch of guys get on their high horse about womens reproductive rights. I would be willing to bet that close to half of all the women each and every one of you know has had an abortion.

and, yes, abortions can have long term health consequences for women. So can taking birth control pills. But that is relatively rare (for both).

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    yeah, I hadnt read your second post. I still disagree with you wholeheartedly. WHats the difference between the Morning After Pill (or other types of contraception that terminate a fertilized egg) and an abortion? I dont see a difference.
    Medically there is a huge difference. Morally I guess that is up to the individual. My wife works for an infertility clinic and she has explained to me many times the vast differenct between what you mentioned. I don't know jack about medical stuff so I would not be good at explaining it, but talk to someone who deals with that stuff and they can tell you.

I always find it funny when a bunch of guys get on their high horse about womens reproductive rights. I would be willing to bet that close to half of all the women each and every one of you know has had an abortion.

and, yes, abortions can have long term health consequences for women. So can taking birth control pills. But that is relatively rare (for both).
    I'm confused, did woman suddenly learn how to reproduce by themselves?

Parental rights.

Quote Originally Posted by dkmwise
    Medically there is a huge difference. Morally I guess that is up to the individual. My wife works for an infertility clinic and she has explained to me many times the vast differenct between what you mentioned. I don't know jack about medical stuff so I would not be good at explaining it, but talk to someone who deals with that stuff and they can tell you.
    if life begins at conception (which is the argument frequently used), there is no difference. Sure, stopping it from implanting on the uterine wall is medically different than the various types of gagortions, but from an ethical viewpoint of ended the life of a wee human, its the same thing.

Though point to argue, because I'm not a biologist. I guess this just boils down to what is culturally acceptable heh? I guess when you start calling a fertilized egg a fetus, that would be a nice cut off point.

WHAT?! you must have mistyped that somehow.