Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Default Re: Marshall Mathers LP 2,11-5-13

Quote Originally Posted by Numero 10
    Beautiful Pain was dope. Should have been on the album over the monster track.
    Not over the monster but definitely it should've been on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    Love Game is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. What a letdown.
    I thought it was an amazing track, had a very Macklemore (when he's good) feel to it. But everyone likes different kinds of music, got respect for all y'all

What?

The album is good, not amazing, but imo naming it MMLP2 and not having similar or part two's of certain songs like Stan, Way I Am, marshal mathers, criminal, etc. was a mistake. He said he wouldn't be naming it MMLP2 if it didn't meet the standards of the previous. Comparing this to mmlp1, unfortunately it is a letdown. I think the biggest problem with Em these last two albums has been his choices in production/producers. He needs more DRE and Bass brothers. Too many singers on his hooks/chorus as of late too.
    Bad Guy is from the perspective of Stan's brother.

THESE ALBUM IS THE SHITS MAN!!! holey craps. i will maybe say is better than sslp < mmlp2 . pretty crazed track man .

Quote Originally Posted by dyna
    Don't Front Feat. Buckshot (Snippet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAxpP4aZGE
    Wow that sounds great.

So far from what I've heard, I've liked, just listened to wicked ways, groundhog day, plus monster and rap God....shit is great, not prime material but closest since

Mmlp 2? More like the recovery pt 2.

Slim shady isn't back... sorry.

The album is good, not amazing, but imo naming it MMLP2 and not having similar or part two's of certain songs like Stan, Way I Am, marshal mathers, criminal, etc. was a mistake. He said he wouldn't be naming it MMLP2 if it didn't meet the standards of the previous. Comparing this to mmlp1, unfortunately it is a letdown. I think the biggest problem with Em these last two albums has been his choices in production/producers. He needs more DRE and Bass brothers. Too many singers on his hooks/chorus as of late too.
    I agree on that, its like he gets some 2nd rate beats and thinks that with his skill he'll take them to the next level. And he does, but the songs could be so much better if he just used better beats.

I listened to the whole album today.

My favorite track is...

Beautiful Pain

...I worked out to this today for a couple of sets. I also like Bad Guy as well, especially after the five minute thirty second mark of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    I agree on that, its like he gets some 2nd rate beats and thinks that with his skill he'll take them to the next level. And he does, but the songs could be so much better if he just used better beats.
    I agree, his lyrics are rarely the problem, it's his beats that should be questioned. For example Bad Guy could've been crazy with a better beat, like something dark or gritty, and him doing the hook.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

I agree, his lyrics are rarely the problem, it's his beats that should be questioned. For example Bad Guy could've been crazy with a better beat, like something dark or gritty, and him doing the hook.
    I think he should have a song produced by Kanye.

Some songs are wack, but I really like the album.
    Headlights >>>>

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Beautiful Pain and Love Game are solid... Grew on me, didn't like em first listen

It's growing on me. It shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the first mm cd but i can't say it's awful because it's really growing on me save a few songs.

for me, most songs can be put on repeat.only ones i skip are love game and monster and the desperation bonus track. other than that it's a solid album.

I liked it, personally.

here's an interesting take........

...The MMLP 2 is meant to remind us that he's still a presence in pop music even if he's no longer exactly present.

Even on a record that ostensibly revisits a moment when he was unquestionably at the center of youth culture, Eminem remains safely sequestered at an undisclosed location.

...Eminem is consciously hearkening back to the zeitgeist-iest period of his career at a time when his place in pop culture is curiously difficult to discern.

....I don't know if it was due to my low expectations after the 12-step drudgery of 2010's Recovery or my soft spot for byzantine rhymes spit over post–Hotel California cocaine-and-caviar arena rock, but The Marshall Mathers LP 2 worked shockingly well for me for long stretches at a time.

With a running time topping 78 minutes, LP 2 is thick with long, intermittently effective stretches.

...My favorite song by a mile, "So Far …," culminates with Eminem preemptively apologizing to "technology" for his bitching about the difficulty of downloading the new Ludacris song. Later he complains that he can't get a Kool-Aid stain out of his couch.
    ...Eminem is the most nakedly self-obsessed pop star of the last 20 years.

Eminem's extreme solipsism has long been his privilege as rap's most prominent Caucasian. For reasons that are deeply unfair and yet readily apparent, he is not saddled with the same baggage as his superstar contemporaries.

However Eminem chooses to behave, his actions will not be imbued with a larger cultural meaning that's applicable to millions of people who vaguely resemble Eminem but aren't Eminem. If Eminem appears on national television with Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit and acts like a socially awkward pop star, he's perceived as a socially awkward pop star, not as a symbol for how the media addresses matters of race and class.

In the early '00s, Eminem deliberately trolled the media into depicting him as a public menace, but he also had the choice to back off. Now, nobody is examining Eminem's persona in order to understand modern society. Eminem signifies nothing other than himself.

Kanye West doesn't get the benefit of being perceived as an individual when he talks about sport-fukcing white women, nor does Jay Z when he runs through an inventory of his Basquiats. They represent something bigger, even when they're merely relating their own thoughts and experiences. This is a tremendous burden, but because Kanye and Jay have embraced that burden and chosen to incorporate it, their music has attained a richness that an infinitely more insular record like The MMLP 2 seems incapable of achieving.

If Eminem is no longer interested in connecting with modern pop culture — and the weird callouts to 'N Sync, the Backstreet Boys, Jerry Mathers, and Lorena Bobbitt in the album-closing "Evil Twin" strongly suggest that he's not — modern pop culture will not require him to do so against his will. He doesn't have to matter like that anymore.

It would be incorrect to suggest that Eminem is an irrelevant artist — in pop terms, he's outpaced saleswise by Adele but can still run with Taylor Swift. Also, he can still rap his ass off. (The polysyllabic pyrotechnics of "Rap God" might be empty exhibitionism, but what an exhibition!) But he now occupies the same place in culture as things like NCIS and the stealth summer blockbuster We're the Millers. He's hugely popular without being the least bit transcendent, a lonely artist who makes you feel alone for listening to him.link