Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: NBA All-Star balloting changes: Now two player categories, guards and frontcourt

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    I am not sure how good this is.... are you telling me 3 small forwards and 2 shooting guards could end up starting the game or even be an all small forward & shooting guard team? Which is basically the same position/role/type of players imo....

If PF/C was the only "frontcourt" then everything would make sense....

Instead of "Guards / Frontcourt" i think there should be "BACKCOURT (pg/sg/sf) & FRONTCOURT (pf/c)" - I have always refused to define the SF position as frontcourt, its much more closer to backcourt (specifically SG) in terms of role/players than Center/PF... if not then it should be its own category.... "The Middle?"

Usually depends on the player, but it's usually closer to the perimeter than the paint. Regardless, it can work out that way. Pierce looks great and the Celtics could be aggressive this year. If Pierce is averaging 22 a game on that team, the way they're built, would anyone think it impossible for him to be the 3rd highest vote-getter amongst forwards?

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: NBA All-Star balloting changes: Now two player categories, guards and frontcourt

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    And then I mentioned 8 other centers, while talking up depth.
    Oh cry me a river man. Mentioning about a dozen ok centers, fringe all-stars, really means nothing in a league of 30 teams. Okafor and Kaman were relevant like... 5 years ago. Bogut averages like 58 games a season, and is coming off a season of 17 games played. Horford is great but he's probably better served as a power forward imo... Seriously, the league is doing this because they're grasping at straws to find AS centers (outside of Howard, obviously). You have an opinion (that depth as center is "more solid than ever") that probably nobody has. Depth of "ok centers", is more accurate. Crappy centers who might have upside are getting paid big bucks because the pool is so shallow. Teams take chances on an unproven Hasheem Thabeet type because the pool is so shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Oh cry me a river man. Mentioning about a dozen ok centers, fringe all-stars, really means nothing in a league of 30 teams. Okafor and Kaman were relevant like... 5 years ago. Bogut averages like 58 games a season, and is coming off a season of 17 games played. Horford is great but he's probably better served as a power forward imo... Seriously, the league is doing this because they're grasping at straws to find AS centers (outside of Howard, obviously). You have an opinion (that depth as center is "more solid than ever") that probably nobody has. Depth of "ok centers", is more accurate. Crappy centers who might have upside are getting paid big bucks because the pool is so shallow. Teams take chances on an unproven Hasheem Thabeet type because the pool is so shallow.

It's an opinion few people disagree with when they actually talk and think. All of those guys are better than "ok". They're good players. You had Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Zo, Dikembe, Sabonis, Smits, Divac, Seikely.

There is no current depth of elite but there are 15 guys who can give you at least 15 and 10 on measured minutes and with defense, as well as guys like Drummond coming into the league and Asik is a defensive beast.

Talking about shallow pools, look at Seattle and the McIlvaine contract. It may be exceptionally terrible, but that's what a shallow pool will do. At least Jordan has legitimate potential, even if his contract is very dumb.

But your earlier response is stupid. I didn't say any of what you were complaining about, and at this point you're just off on a tangent. The fact is that there are a lot of good centers in the NBA, and some of these guys have high potential to be more. To wish there were more elite players at the center spot is one thing, but this decision and the enthusiastic responses to it are just lazy.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 10-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.