Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: Josh Childress Might Be A Bust In Euroleague

Its just that Childress really has no offensive game besides dunking and athleticism. When he's the #1 option he's gonna get locked down and he ain't the 6th man anymore like when he was a Hawk. The opposing team will put there best Euro on him who plays hard, pesky, dirty defense and expose him. A player like JR Smith, or Nate Robinson would dominate since they have more offensive game in Europe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Only the Hawks offered him a deal, and that is because they held his Bird Rights and were able to go over the cap to retain his services.

Yes there is a difference in range, and it shows when Euros make the jump to the NBA. Dirk, Peja, Arvydas Macijauskas,The Sashas, and others struggled to shoot when they made the jump to the NBA. You know good and well that American players are expected to be able to defend when they go to Europe, and ironic thing is that the players who go to Europe and defend are not in the NBA because they can't defend NBA quality offensive threats.

I broke down Childress' game. He is a very, very limited player. On his best day he is an average player. There are comparable players playing in the DLeague. Noel Felix is better than Josh Childress. Josh was replaced by players who make considerably less than him, and are both individually are outperforming him.

Other NBA players who could not get deals are excelling in Europe. Earl Boykins and Jannero Pargo are ripping it up, and they could not get a deals. These guys are fringe players.

Neither of them actually plays in the Euroleague. They are "ripping it up" in leagues that are far inferior to the Euroleague, so I'm not sure if that argument is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    Neither of them actually plays in the Euroleague. They are "ripping it up" in leagues that are far inferior to the Euroleague, so I'm not sure if that argument is legit.
    Euroleague is a competition, similar to Champion's league.
    Pargo and Boykins play in very good leagues, The Russian league and the Italian leagues respectively. Before the rise of the Spanish league the Italian league was the best in Europe. It was the Italian league where Big Sofo ate himself out of the first round of the NBA draft. Carlos Arroyo is having a good tournament in Euroleague as well. His shooting percentages could stand to improve. You guys are taking this as a dis when you should not. I am just pointing out reality. The European professional level of basketball is still not as good skillwise as the NBA level, and to be honest it is not really close. The closing of the gap was an illusion created by players and coaches who had no interest in Olympic/World Cup basketball.

Banned

Euroleague is a competition, similar to Champion's league.
    Pargo and Boykins play in very good leagues, The Russian league and the Italian leagues respectively. Before the rise of the Spanish league the Italian league was the best in Europe. It was the Italian league where Big Sofo ate himself out of the first round of the NBA draft. Carlos Arroyo is having a good tournament in Euroleague as well. His shooting percentages could stand to improve. You guys are taking this as a dis when you should not. I am just pointing out reality. The European professional level of basketball is still not as good skillwise as the NBA level, and to be honest it is not really close. The closing of the gap was an illusion created by players and coaches who had no interest in Olympic/World Cup basketball.
    Like I said you can watch these games online. Sorry but the Euroleague is clearly far far far above the Italian League, the Eurocup, the Russian League. The only leagues that appear to be close to it are the Spanish League and the Greek League, but still not as good for sure.

Sorry, but the Russian League and Italian League? Seriously man go watch some games, not even close to the Euroleague level. Now I think Childress is busting over there but you are just being totally unfair to him. Pargo and Boykins are playing in much inferior leagues to the one Childress is in.

And Carlos Arroyo is actually playing on a really crappy team. I've watched a couple of Maccabi's games and they flat out SUCK. He's just putting stats on a really POS team and that's all. In fact in the games I've watched he was certainly not even playing good. He's just ball hogging and really helping his team do nothing but lose games. If anything he's a much bigger bust than Childress is. Actually, yes, he is easily a BUST, while Childress is debatable because he's still helping his team and they are also winning games.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 11-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Dismissing Russian and Italian and Russian League is like dismissing what happens in the Premier League because it is not Champions' League. I watch about 3 games a week, and I will be watching the Real Madrid game in about an hour. You obviously never watched Josh Childress play. He is essentially a guard version of Bo Outlaw. The Hawks never ran plays for him, he routinely dribbled out of open jump shots, and he never created for himself or others. He is what ball players call a leech, a player who can only be successful offensively by leeching off of the ability of others. When he was in the game teams knew to only pay him cursory attention. Maccabi is having a rough start to the season, but I still expect them to advance pass group play.

Saw a basketball once freegamer300's Avatar

What is a link to watch some Euro league bball?

Saw a basketball once freegamer300's Avatar

Thanks man

Banned

Dismissing Russian and Italian and Russian League is like dismissing what happens in the Premier League because it is not Champions' League. I watch about 3 games a week, and I will be watching the Real Madrid game in about an hour. You obviously never watched Josh Childress play. He is essentially a guard version of Bo Outlaw. The Hawks never ran plays for him, he routinely dribbled out of open jump shots, and he never created for himself or others. He is what ball players call a leech, a player who can only be successful offensively by leeching off of the ability of others. When he was in the game teams knew to only pay him cursory attention. Maccabi is having a rough start to the season, but I still expect them to advance pass group play.
    Sorry again no. I've seen several Italian League games watching Brandon Jennings it is not even close to the Euroleague level and the Russian League you can watch games online too and there are 3 good teams in the whole league and believe me THAT IS IT.

Sorry again no. I've seen several Italian League games watching Brandon Jennings it is not even close to the Euroleague level and the Russian League you can watch games online too and there are 3 good teams in the whole league and believe me THAT IS IT.
    Sorry again what? You are acting like the Russian and Italian leagues are the French and German leagues. The level of play in the Russian and Italian leagues is quality, don't try to poor mouth the leagues to prove your point. Olympiakos signed Josh in an effort to make a splashy signing. They succeeded in getting some pub, but they signed a decidedly mediocre, jumpshot and handleless player. The idea of signing NBA players to lucrative contracts was not a bad one, but the execution was bad. There is a good chance that Josh never gets another NBA contract because to put it bluntly he is not a particularly skilled player, or a difference maker. Maurice Evans was signed to replace him with The Veteran's Minimum Contract and is outperforming him.

Banned

Sorry again what? You are acting like the Russian and Italian leagues are the French and German leagues. The level of play in the Russian and Italian leagues is quality, don't try to poor mouth the leagues to prove your point. Olympiakos signed Josh in an effort to make a splashy signing. They succeeded in getting some pub, but they signed a decidedly mediocre, jumpshot and handleless player. The idea of signing NBA players to lucrative contracts was not a bad one, but the execution was bad. There is a good chance that Josh never gets another NBA contract because to put it bluntly he is not a particularly skilled player, or a difference maker. Maurice Evans was signed to replace him with The Veteran's Minimum Contract and is outperforming him.
    That's not what I said at all. I simply stated a fact that the Euroleague is better and it is. How is it fair to say what Pargo does in an inferior league?

Future D1 Dad

i don't think them signing josh was so much as really wanting a great player as it was just showing the nba that they could do it.

did u see where stern is building some arenas in china for future use? euroleague officials are probably deciding to counterattack.

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by freegamer300
    What is a link to watch some Euro league bball?
    that's what i'm saying. hook me up pleez.

In response, J-Chill drops 24/6/2 in just 27 minutes on 9-12 shooting (2-4 3 pt) against Kalossos. Not Euroleague, but Greek league is tough anyway.

Earl Boykins has been a beast averaging 18.4 points a game and 4 assists and 3 steals.
    Last edited by Grinder; 12-01-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    In response, J-Chill drops 24/6/2 in just 27 minutes on 9-12 shooting (2-4 3 pt) against Kalossos. Not Euroleague, but Greek league is tough anyway.

Earl Boykins has been a beast averaging 18.4 points a game and 4 assists and 3 steals.
    Italian league on a crappy team and just putting up stats, is not the same thing as playing on one of the top 5 Euroleague clubs and putting those stats on a good Euroleague team in the Euroleague. And Childress did that against one of the smallest and worst clubs in Greece (yes the Greek league looks quite good to me certainly much better than the Italian one but still against one of the really small clubs in that league), but let me know when he has a big game against a top 16 level Euroleague club.

Italian league on a crappy team and just putting up stats, is not the same thing as playing on one of the top 5 Euroleague clubs and putting those stats on a good Euroleague team in the Euroleague. And Childress did that against one of the smallest and worst clubs in Greece (yes the Greek league looks quite good to me certainly much better than the Italian one but still against one of the really small clubs in that league), but let me know when he has a big game against a top 16 level Euroleague club.
    Kolossos was 3-5...

Boykins just dropped 20+ on Lottomatica Roma who are a Euroleague team and beat defending final four members Tau Vitoria, so don't tell me he's doing it on nobodies.

There are plenty of good point guards in the Italian league, Terrell McIntyre, Travis Best, and Jermaine Jackson just to name a few...
    Last edited by Grinder; 12-01-2008 at 10:15 PM.