Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    코비=GOAT

Default Help with layup against tall guys.

I'm 5 foot 3. Well anyways, the people I play with are 6 foot 3+ and whenever I drive I'm forced to go up and under and it creates an ugly shot or I'm forced to dish it out. One on one I can get past anybody, but it's the 2 on 2's and 3 on 3's that make me do the ugly layups. I like dishing at times but it gets kind of boring. The thing is I love crossing people and blowing past them. Should I just keep working on these shots and getting them consistent or should I settle with jump shots?

Default Re: Help with layup against tall guys.

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    I'm 5 foot 3. Well anyways, the people I play with are 6 foot 3+ and whenever I drive I'm forced to go up and under and it creates an ugly shot or I'm forced to dish it out. One on one I can get past anybody, but it's the 2 on 2's and 3 on 3's that make me do the ugly layups. I like dishing at times but it gets kind of boring. The thing is I love crossing people and blowing past them. Should I just keep working on these shots and getting them consistent or should I settle with jump shots?
    Maybe a floater or a short consistent jumper would be better if you were bigger maybe you could use your body but the 1st to options are better.

If you play to win, then dish it to the more capable finisher.

Good passers are hard to find... people will appreciate it.

Your best bet getting to the rim against the big guys is a nice reverse layup. Use the rim to protect the ball when possible. If I was you, I would focus on playmaking for my teamates and developing a solid shot from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    Your best bet getting to the rim against the big guys is a nice reverse layup. Use the rim to protect the ball when possible. If I was you, I would focus on playmaking for my teamates and developing a solid shot from the outside.
    +1

but at the same time you don't want to become 2 demensional. I think if you could et a nice floater then you would be hard to guard.

A quick release layup may help. When I'm moving towards the basket and a bigger guy comes up to block me, one of the tricks I use is a high arc, quick release, layup and I barely jump (well I kind of do, but if you were looking at me from the outside, it looks like I release the ball first, then my feet leave the floor only a few inches).

I don't know if I explained that well, but basically:
    (1) The ball travels faster than a person
    (2) Everyone is used to the shooting/layup mechanics of jump->release when defending
    (3) The high arc just helps in avoiding the block, it's not a necessity, but it'd be better if you had one

Then again, I've never been in an extreme situation like you (everyone being a foot taller), so this advice may still be useless. But if you haven't tried this, have a go. You'll obviously have to practise a bit first.

Quote Originally Posted by Junny
    A quick release layup may help. When I'm moving towards the basket and a bigger guy comes up to block me, one of the tricks I use is a high arc, quick release, layup and I barely jump (well I kind of do, but if you were looking at me from the outside, it looks like I release the ball first, then my feet leave the floor only a few inches).

I don't know if I explained that well, but basically:
    (1) The ball travels faster than a person
    (2) Everyone is used to the shooting/layup mechanics of jump->release when defending
    (3) The high arc just helps in avoiding the block, it's not a necessity, but it'd be better if you had one

Then again, I've never been in an extreme situation like you (everyone being a foot taller), so this advice may still be useless. But if you haven't tried this, have a go. You'll obviously have to practise a bit first.
    Freshman year, I was five feet tall playing one on one against a 6'3" guy in our HS gym. Basically, I went into his body with my shoulder while laying it up so he couldnt block it. Also, mix it up with an up and under move to get an open shot. If your athletic enough, you can do the euro step that a lot of International players do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvZhhTrOj5k

Saw a basketball once

dang 5 foot 3, thats reeeaal short haha. im 5'10 and i thought i was a midget. watch some allen iverson videos, running hook shots work great, i learned them from watching him, floaters are good like other people have said. and just be able to adjust your shot in mid air, not necessarily an up and under, but be able to hang for a little bit to adjust your shot, i practice this even with no defenders when im shootin around by myself. hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Freshman year, I was five feet tall playing one on one against a 6'3" guy in our HS gym. Basically, I went into his body with my shoulder while laying it up so he couldnt block it. Also, mix it up with an up and under move to get an open shot. If your athletic enough, you can do the euro step that a lot of International players do.
    This is good advice too. Whenever I am going for a lay-up and I dont have enough room for something fancy like a reverse, I try to give a little shoulder bump right before I release my shot to create some space. Watch some CP3 and Tony Parker videos, they are masters of the offensive shoulder bump.

I rule the local playground

A good idea is not to jump too soon. depending on how near they are to the basket either go past them baseline for a high arc reverse off the backboard, or if they're under basket try dribble up pretty close, take your two steps, put quite a bit of shoulder weight into him (depending on how large he is) and then push off with your feet in the opposite direction (and up obviously) and get a 1 handed off the backboard lay-uppy shot thing in.

when you go up, lean into the defender to create contact. Use that contact to create space. This should also help you draw fouls better. I played 2on2 over the weekend with my friend and 2 other guys on my team and the guy I was checking was such a good finisher. He would explode to the rim, and lean into me kind of turning his back to the rim in the air and flip it in. Once he got me under the rim his layup was pretty much unblockable. He was 5'11 and i'm 6' but he was way up there on the athleticism scale and I consider that a damn lot considering I could throw it down 1 handed on my best day

that will be called a foul by a good ref. i hate when people throw their bodies into you then you get called for a foul. its stupid as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
    that will be called a foul by a good ref. i hate when people throw their bodies into you then you get called for a foul. its stupid as hell.
    annoying yea, but i play in so many leagues where it works everytime. Guess the refs are bad everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
    I didnt say to throw your body, I said go into the body with the shoulder. Big difference.

I didnt say to throw your body, I said go into the body with the shoulder. Big difference.
    whats the difference? you are running into them either way. if the defender has established position and you come down the lane, and go into his body with a shoulder, thats going to be a charge, but only if the defender doesn't jump. If he jumps, then its more prone to be a defensive foul.

and what is that picture suppose to show? lol hes taking a guy off the dribble from the 3 point line and protecting the ball with his off hand..