Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Looper is getting amazing reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Good thinking. Blow off the hand that old Joe was using for his gun, then run up and shoot old Joe.
    No offense but I would assume that someone that basically lived a life building up survival nefarious instincts would have the ability to shoot the gun with his other hand. Im sure he's sustained injuries before where he would have to learn how to become ambidextrous. Although I do confess that after stumbling the first moment and having to recollect and aim with one hand is a tall order to ask of him. Just saying it wouldn't be an impossibility. Also, like the memories.. The body injury could have a delay (unlike death) and the moment would pass before the hand injury would take effect. With death it seems different since it negates an entire timeline having occurred...more of an instantaneous effect.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Yeah, we didn't. IYKWIM.

Anybody else laugh when the mom was about to *********e but wanted the real thing and called up Joe?
    Horny Toad.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    No offense but I would assume that someone that basically lived a life building up survival nefarious instincts would have the ability to shoot the gun with his other hand. Im sure he's sustained injuries before where he would have to learn how to become ambidextrous. Although I do confess that after stumbling the first moment and having to recollect and aim with one hand is a tall order to ask of him. Just saying it wouldn't be an impossibility. Also, like the memories.. The body injury could have a delay (unlike death) and the moment would pass before the hand injury would take effect. With death it seems different since it negates an entire timeline having occurred...more of an instantaneous effect.
    I imagined that body injuries show up at the same delay that the whole body disappears. And it isn't that Bruce Willis wouldn't have ability to shoot with his other hand, it is that when JGL blows off his hand, Bruce's hand disappears and the gun is dropped, giving JGL time to take out Bruce (only if he can get past the pain to get to Bruce before he picks up the gun, which is a pretty tall order). Ultimately though, JGL had to make a split second decision, and that doesn't really give you the time to consider the pros and cons of killing himself versus shooting off his hand.

Banned

I just realized that as well.. Shooting off the hand would essentially place both in an equal predicament. Young Joe would have to take extra time shooting it off (because its an awkward task I imagine) plus then how would he instantly be able to shoot old Joe with the injury? He too would have to collect himself and find a way to cope with his new found disability..lol.. Wouldn't just be able to run forward and expire his old self.lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    Why didn't Joe just shoot off his hand?
    Yeah, but if he did that then all old Joe would have to do is pick up the gun with his other hand. At this point, Young Joe would have to kill himself to stop him anyway because he can't shoot off his other hand when it's the only one he has to handle a gun

Btw if you really think about it, how do we know rainmaker was really a bad guy in the original timeline? Yeah he was bad for joe but remember joe was a hit man. Apparently the loopers were the main way people killed people in the future, so if you really think about it the fact that he was closing all the loops doesn't remotely prove that he was a bad guy

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I put my review in the Rate the last movie thread,

I really dig time travel logic, and I felt like this did a nice job with it. One of my favorite parts was when they first meet at the diner and Old Joe yells at him about getting into Time Travel logic, it was a nice way to sort of wink at the audience and say just run with me here for a little while. It gave me a chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Just saw it. Seemed to be leading up to something great, but ended up just good.

SPOILER ALERT........actually why is anyone reading this thread if haven't seen movie.........hey, it's your own fault.....

I also thought the ending was weak and that they had another major twist or clever resolution coming. We didn't get that.

So JGL decides to kill himself to save some kid he barely knows who may or may not grow up to be some evil reckoning machine? Huh? Why? I don't know.....fell into typical movie logic......so the kid has a "breakthrough" JUST at that moment. Convenient. And how does JGL even know killing himself will work?

Good concept........crafted really well.......but that last 1/3 of the movie wasn't thought out that well.......
    Um what? They made it pretty obvious hes the rainmaker. JGL has an epiphany and sees exactly how he turns into the rainmaker... Did you miss that whole part?

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    Um what? They made it pretty obvious hes the rainmaker. JGL has an epiphany and sees exactly how he turns into the rainmaker... Did you miss that whole part?
    Yeah but that was in the 2nd timeline. How did he turn into rainmaker after getting the loop closed? (the first timeline)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Yeah but that was in the 2nd timeline. How did he turn into rainmaker after getting the loop closed? (the first timeline)
    Im guessing that the rainmaker will always essentially be the rainmaker.. (Buddhist Belief) but the difference would be the details.. His intentions, motivations and personal designations.

The simplest reason to be sure joe isn't the rainmaker is because joe screwed the rainmakers mom, I don't think they went the incest route. The train scene didn't mean he was the kid, it meant he didn't wanna put the kid through what he went through

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    The simplest reason to be sure joe isn't the rainmaker is because joe screwed the rainmakers mom, I don't think they went the incest route. The train scene didn't mean he was the kid, it meant he didn't wanna put the kid through what he went through
    The train scene was Cid having to move on because he just saw his mom get shot.. It was part of the whole situation where Cid runs away in a train and starts his jaded journey into becoming the rainmaker. It was a scene that was part of young Joes epiphany. His realization of what would transpire once the MILF was shot down in cold blood.

I know you're not saying they are the same person. Just saying that I dont think its even remotely possible to imagine Joe being Cid. There are dozens of details that would make it impossible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero

Something that hasn't been brought up in this thread yet, how about that first looper that ran. The way the used the doctor to hack him apart, that was awesome!

Would have been cool to have a scene (maybe in the DVD deleted scenes) where we see the doctor torturing and severing body parts in the young guy and then seeing the old one progressively get the wounds.. If done right, it could be a crazy spectacle. I say in the DVD cause such a scene would have been excessive in the film..lol

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I found this pretty followable by time travel standards too. They set up a fairly straightforward set of rules, and it was a pretty straightforward story really for what it was.

And I'm with Zen, I don't see any reasonable way you can make a case for Sid being Joe.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    My gf walked away a little confused, she wasn't sure how JGL knew cid would grow up to be the rainmaker.
    Dump her.

Zen - It looked like it was a surgeon or something, so I think the young version of the friend was unconscious while they removed limbs. They didn't need to torture him, just strike the fear of God in the old version of him to get him to come to them.