Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Gilbert Arenas charged with felony gun possession

Quote Originally Posted by 33teeth
    OK
    How do you know?
    You sure about that?
    Uh. I care that he showed poor judgement and broke the law. And then acted like a fool.

If he'd put a fake bomb in the arena would that be OK with you? No explosives, right? It might be illegal, but nobody would be "hurt."

I think you're being contrarian just for giggles. Go rock back and forth and think of your dream team of Kenyon Martin and Eddy Curry.
    Hmmmm.....well, from everything we know about the incident, no one was hurt, no one was threatened with injury, and no one was in danger. Based on the information made public to us right?

He broke the law. OK. He had a gun in his possession without a license. OK. I guess we disagree about the severity of the crime, right?

Putting a fake bomb would cause a panic situation, injury, etc. Clearly, this is highly illegal and more dangerous.

I'm being contrarian because I think the media is overreacting and making him public enemy #1. Society puts it in our head that what Arenas just did was an absolute awful crime. I don't think so. It's against the law and should be punished for not having proper licenses......but the mere possession of a gun isn't the worst crime imaginable.

Why not read up on Switzerland, like I said. People carry guns AROUND with them. It's perfectly legal. And the crime rate is low. Something to think about it.

What GA did was more stupid than anything else. Storing them in your locker in arena? Its just dumb....but his stupidity doesn't mean he should be put in jail for 3 years.....

Quote Originally Posted by icemanfan
    choking PJ is not the same as a felony conviction. The morals clause clearly covers this and the players union can go to hell. The union was designed to protect the innocent from the bully boss not the stupid guilty from being correctly fired.
    It does? Didnt know that. I still dont know of a players contract being voided. I guess it will depend on the arbitrator and how they feel about guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    Wow, that was pretty mean of them.

I'm sure Arenas agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    No, I get it. And Arenas should be punished for not obtaining a proper license. We get that. But you think he should be charged with a felony and go to jail for years for it? I don't.

No one was hurt. No one was threatened. No one was in any danger. The guns weren't loaded. Isn't that what we care about most?
    Anytime you are dealing with firearms, you have to take extra pre cautions. I don't care if you think its loaded or not, you don't mess around with guns. What if took out the clips, but forgot to take the bullet out of the chamber? Just because he had no intention of shooting anyone, his carelessness could have killed someone.

Saying "no one was hurt" excuse is BS. Fact is, someone could have been hurt if he was careless and forgot to unload the chamber. You do know there have been many cases where people were fcuking around with a supposedly unloaded gun only to realize it was loaded and they killed someone, right?

I'm not sure if you have ever even fired or handled a gun before. Anyone who has knows the safety precautions you take when handling a gun, and take it very seriously. Making jokes and playing games with them is not what you do. People die because people are careless or joking around.

Good High School Starter Kingsfans818's Avatar

well its also important to note that he didn't have a license to carry the weapon....

Hmmmm.....well, from everything we know about the incident, no one was hurt, no one was threatened with injury, and no one was in danger. Based on the information made public to us right?

He broke the law. OK. He had a gun in his possession without a license. OK. I guess we disagree about the severity of the crime, right?

Putting a fake bomb would cause a panic situation, injury, etc. Clearly, this is highly illegal and more dangerous.

I'm being contrarian because I think the media is overreacting and making him public enemy #1. Society puts it in our head that what Arenas just did was an absolute awful crime. I don't think so. It's against the law and should be punished for not having proper licenses......but the mere possession of a gun isn't the worst crime imaginable.

Why not read up on Switzerland, like I said. People carry guns AROUND with them. It's perfectly legal. And the crime rate is low. Something to think about it.

What GA did was more stupid than anything else. Storing them in your locker in arena? Its just dumb....but his stupidity doesn't mean he should be put in jail for 3 years.....
    no, i dont think he should get 3 years but he should be charged with a felony because you and i would be charged with a felony, so arenas should be too. i doubt he gets 3 years.

the punishment often seems harsh for individuals and individual situation - because the purpose is to be a deterent. I have seen in my life guns pulled out for really stupid **** because people were angry and went to get their guns. thats the purpose of the gun laws, to make it difficult for those people to obtain guns, to weed out the irresponsible people as best as you can.

so why i agree 3 years would be harsh he'll probably get allowed to plead down. but im not losing any sleep over him getting punished, this is not a unavoidable crime, its arenas jsut getting punished for what has been a lifetime of him acting like a shmuck.

Good High School Starter Kingsfans818's Avatar

people call him to to jail for 5 years are idiots. How much does that cause the state? do you REALLY think he needs to be rehabilitated for 5 years? I honestly think that he learned his lesson from all this.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Anytime you are dealing with firearms, you have to take extra pre cautions. I don't care if you think its loaded or not, you don't mess around with guns. What if took out the clips, but forgot to take the bullet out of the chamber? Just because he had no intention of shooting anyone, his carelessness could have killed someone.

Saying "no one was hurt" excuse is BS. Fact is, someone could have been hurt if he was careless and forgot to unload the chamber. You do know there have been many cases where people were fcuking around with a supposedly unloaded gun only to realize it was loaded and they killed someone, right?

I'm not sure if you have ever even fired or handled a gun before. Anyone who has knows the safety precautions you take when handling a gun, and take it very seriously. Making jokes and playing games with them is not what you do. People die because people are careless or joking around.

Totally agree with everything you just said.

So you think Arenas should go to jail for years for this?

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    no, i dont think he should get 3 years but he should be charged with a felony because you and i would be charged with a felony, so arenas should be too. i doubt he gets 3 years.

the punishment often seems harsh for individuals and individual situation - because the purpose is to be a deterent. I have seen in my life guns pulled out for really stupid **** because people were angry and went to get their guns. thats the purpose of the gun laws, to make it difficult for those people to obtain guns, to weed out the irresponsible people as best as you can.

so why i agree 3 years would be harsh he'll probably get allowed to plead down. but im not losing any sleep over him getting punished, this is not a unavoidable crime, its arenas jsut getting punished for what has been a lifetime of him acting like a shmuck.
    So its not the guns itself. Its the people who are irresponsible about guns.

Again, in Switzerland, everyone is allowed to own and even carry guns around with them. Doesn't seem to be a problem. So really its only AMERICANS who can't be trusted with gun ownership. Is that the case? Maybe that's just it then.......

You can tell people don't have guns because they don't see the utter ridiculousness of this situation.

Totally agree with everything you just said.

So you think Arenas should go to jail for years for this?
    he needs to be punished but jailtime is not necessary.

Again, in Switzerland, everyone is allowed to own and even carry guns around with them. Doesn't seem to be a problem. So really its only AMERICANS who can't be trusted with gun ownership. Is that the case? Maybe that's just it then.......
    you have to obey the laws of the jurisdiction you are in. you can't say "in switzerland you can do this" - its irrelevent. that's a theoretical discussion - arenas is not in a theoretical situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kkling
    Not funny anymore is it, Gil?

YUP

Local High School Star KelticForce1349's Avatar

You can't just compare America and Switzerland to make a point. You are mentioning people of two very different cultures and value-systems.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    you have to obey the laws of the jurisdiction you are in. you can't say "in switzerland you can do this" - its irrelevent. that's a theoretical discussion - arenas is not in a theoretical situation.
    Yes I realize its against the law. All I'm saying is punishment should fit the crime. But I think its important to see what other societies do and question our assumptions on how "bad" certain crimes are over others.....I just don't like this reflexive groupthink that "OMG....how COULD he.....THROW THE BOOK AT HIM....PUBLIC OUTCAST....". It's like, ok, CALM DOWN everyone........