Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461 ... LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Lebron James vs Kobe Bryant, in the season, in MVP talk, more

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    Nice game by the Lakers tonight. I think they're on cruise control though, no D for the past 5 games or so.

Kobe had a nice statline too:

34/7/7/4 on 12/20 shooting
    Yeah great game by Kobe but it's hard to use stats to say Kobe is better than Lebron. Lebron gets this kind of stats on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinxpx109
    Lebron gets this kind of stats on a regular basis.
    Yes but I didn't use it to compare to LeBron.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    Nice game by the Lakers tonight. I think they're on cruise control though, no D for the past 5 games or so.

Kobe had a nice statline too:

34/7/7/4 on 12/20 shooting
    Kobe played well tonight. I watched the fourth quarter. He did a good job of distributing and played solid defense. I think six of those 34 came in the final 40 seconds when the Raptors had to foul, though. Still, he had a nice final quarter.

I commented on it in the game thread, but I'll say it again here... Kobe has really become a midrange shooter at this point in his career. He has to really make a conscious effort, if he has a mis-match, to drive to the basket. His game is almost strictly jumpers, at this point.

I don't completely understand it, because it seems like he still has the burst to get by most defenders, but he chooses to take mostly jumpers.

Maybe he is just preparing for his eventual decline and transforming his game now, rather than later. There was a time when Kobe didn't even think about it... he was attacking the hoop every time he caught the ball, unless the defender was playing off of him.

Now, it seems to be the exact opposite. Unless the defense forces him to drive, he is going to take a jumper.

Good High School Starter

Not really. Kobe has always been a mid-range type of guy. Even in his young days.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Justinxpx109
    Yeah great game by Kobe but it's hard to use stats to say Kobe is better than Lebron. Lebron gets this kind of stats on a regular basis.
    Kobe got 30/7/6/2/1 for a WHOLE SEASON before.

shhhhhhh

I commented on it in the game thread, but I'll say it again here... Kobe has really become a midrange shooter at this point in his career. He has to really make a conscious effort, if he has a mis-match, to drive to the basket. His game is almost strictly jumpers, at this point.

I don't completely understand it, because it seems like he still has the burst to get by most defenders, but he chooses to take mostly jumpers.
    it's called saving yourself for the playoffs and the big games to come...
    he logs fairly heavy minutes and gives alot of effort on D so he has to slack on something, so if your jumper is falling like it was tonight then do that and save the energy... plus i'l add his finger is subjected to much less swatting and such when he shoots the jumpers...

if the jumper is off he takes it to the basket, if the defense bodies up on him he'll take it to the basket, tonight he actually drove to the rim quite a bit in the first half and then the defense starting sagging off of him and giving him the jumper which made his life easy from the perimeter...

Good High School Starter

Kobe is now at 47% with 70% of his shots being jumpers.Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGD
    Kobe got 30/7/6/2/1 for a WHOLE SEASON before.
    Which season was that?

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    it's called saving yourself for the playoffs and the big games to come...
    We'll see... I'm anxious to see how Kobe plays in the post-season. I'm not just referring to tonight's game. It is something I have noticed all season long (and it is supported by 82games.com). Kobe does not drive to the hoop NEARLY as much as he did even two years ago.

I'll watch with great interested as the season kicks into another gear next month. I really want to see if this where Kobe's play is headed or if he is truly 'saving' his 'attacking' style for the biggest stage.

Kobe is now at 47% with 70% of his shots being jumpers.Nice.
    Really? His shooting percentage shot up from 46.4% to 47% after a 12-20 performance from the field? That doesn't seem possible.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Really? His shooting percentage shot up from 46.4% to 47% after a 12-20 performance from the field? That doesn't seem possible.
    Dude I rounded. Like LBJ averaging 31 when he's "really" at 30.8.

Which season was that?
    02-03. Maybe his best season statisically.

Good High School Starter

Which season was that?

We'll see... I'm anxious to see how Kobe plays in the post-season. I'm not just referring to tonight's game. It is something I have noticed all season long (and it is supported by 82games.com). Kobe does not drive to the hoop NEARLY as much as he did even two years ago.

I'll watch with great interested as the season kicks into another gear next month. I really want to see if this where Kobe's play is headed or if he is truly 'saving' his 'attacking' style for the biggest stage.
    He averaged 30/7/6/2/1 in 02-03....

shhhhhhh

Which season was that?

well look at it like this, he is two years older now and has a lot of miles on those legs, it's only wise to shoot the jumper and avoid the pounding if you can...plus he hasn't missed a game this year

kobes been in the league alot of years now 12 to be exact. trust me when lebrons been in the league 12 years he'll be a little more thoughful of what he subjects his body too, add kobe's has had a couple knee surgeries and still logs alot of minutes and is looking at being ready to hopefully go deep into the playoffs..

Good High School Starter

He also had 19 40+ pt games that year...Including 9 in a row.

Dude I rounded. Like LBJ averaging 31 when he's "really" at 30.8.
    Rounding up from 30.8 to 31 is reasonable. Rounding up from 46.4% to 47% is not. In this instance, you are supposed to 'round down,' in fact.

He averaged 30/7/6/2/1 in 02-03....
    I guess... If, once again, you round up EVERY statistical category. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but his shooting percentage was not all that great that season (could be wrong... going off the top of my head).