Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: can someone explain the intricacies of the triangle offense to me?

I am bookmarking this page for future reading. This is amazing stuff. You can't get back-and-forth discussion like this from google, as I have learned a TON of new info today

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    I am bookmarking this page for future reading. This is amazing stuff. You can't get back-and-forth discussion like this from google, as I have learned a TON of new info today
    If you want another thread with some pretty good X's & O's stuff check out this one

Shameless self promotion on my part

Good High School Starter

Well, this is the way it -should- be around here. Notice, there are plenty of people who aren't agreeing on things, but nobody's saying, "you're a f*cking idiot* or "LOL!!!11 triangles sux!!!11" or "you'd have to be a blind retard to think Jordan was better than Kobe in the triangle" type of crap.

It's really sad that there can't be more topics like this one, but that's the way the ISH cookie crumbles I guess.

Mm... cookies

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JalenRawley
    Well, this is the way it -should- be around here. Notice, there are plenty of people who aren't agreeing on things, but nobody's saying, "you're a f*cking idiot* or "LOL!!!11 triangles sux!!!11" or "you'd have to be a blind retard to think Jordan was better than Kobe in the triangle" type of crap.

It's really sad that there can't be more topics like this one, but that's the way the ISH cookie crumbles I guess.

Mm... cookies
    Phil Jackson sux!!!!!!11

from reading these replies and watching a youtube video with Tex Winters giving a drill, here's what I gathered:

-there is a "push guard," and the second guard "lags" behind
    -all 5 players key off of lag pass (I will have to watch video again to fully understand this)
    -spacing is important (about 15 feet apart so that double teaming is hard). If opponent tries to double, ball moves faster than the feet of the defenders
    -speed cuts are made, and 1st cutter sets a drop pass
    -triangle is ultimately formed by the center, who is in the low post, forward at wing, and guard in corner

Some of these points have probably been mentioned numerous times in this thread, but these seem to be the basics of it. Spacing, passing, and players willing to committ to a system.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Phil Jackson sux!!!!!!11

NUH UH11111 U SUX1111

DUUUUUUUUUH

;)

from reading these replies and watching a youtube video with Tex Winters giving a drill, here's what I gathered:

-all 5 players key off of lag pass (I will have to watch video again to fully understand this)
    -spacing is important (about 15 feet apart so that double teaming is hard). If opponent tries to double, ball moves faster than the feet of the defenders
    -triangle is ultimately formed by the center, who is in the low post, forward at wing, and guard in corner

Some of these points have probably been mentioned numerous times in this thread, but these seem to be the basics of it. Spacing, passing, and players willing to committ to a system.
    And the fact that you need to be constantly aware. If there's a single player in the play that doesn't know what they're doing or bends the play, it could disorganize the entire thing.

shhhhhhh

yeah that's a good synopsis.. it also shows why tex gets so frustrated with kobe sometimes... kobe (in the past) tends to try and break the double teams by driving instead of passing out of them, which makes the whole system crash, until somebody gets the ball and resets the offense...
    Last edited by gts; 11-20-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Richie2k6
    And the fact that you need to be constantly aware. If there's a single player in the play that doesn't know what they're doing or bends the play, it could disorganize the entire thing.
    Kinda like what Kobe does. Seems like the whole point of the triangle for the Lakers is to get Kobe a shot over 2 defenders. At times he goes through the motions just so everyone else can touch the ball too, but rarely do they get the benefits of the movement and spacing created from the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by JalenRawley

Mm... cookies
    well, topic like this requires better knowledge of Xs & Os than 98% of ISH posters have. including myself. that's why they're so rare. right now you've got the single digit number of active posters that really could wrote something meaningful on topic like this.

if I were a player, it would make perfect sense to me to follow the teachings of Phil Jackson and Tex Winters, 2 men who have perfected a system to the tune of 9 titles. I would pick their brains for hours on end, study endless video tape, and get my teammates to the gym to practice the different variations of it for hours on end.

Basketball is all about winning. These men WIN. People remember WINNERS. Sadly, many players are too selfish and ego-driven to commit themselves to a system. Noone remembers how much money you make or how many points you average per game. To get 5 guys on the court who are in total harmony just seems like too much to ask these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharas
    well, topic like this requires better knowledge of Xs & Os than 98% of ISH posters have. including myself. that's why they're so rare. right now you've got the single digit number of active posters that really could wrote something meaningful on topic like this.

Most people are attracted to good storylines, and/or flashy plays. However, as I get older, I am somewhat distancing myself from being the fanboy that I once was. I can only handle so much off the court drama, and while crossover dribbles and slam dunks are fun to watch, I crave for a much deeper understanding of the game.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Sharas
    It's the same for 98% of the subjects as well. So many people consider themselves experts when they can't even be bothered to read the article that they're commenting on, they just comment on a tiny piece of it that someone posts. THAT is the main problem.

It's not that people don't have the knowledge, it's that people don't want to make the effort to gain the knowledge.

Why would you post about something that you know little to nothing about? It's like if people coming in here and posting about the triangle offense, when they really don't know anything about it, what purpose does that serve other than to display their own ignorance? If those people didn't post, you'd have a hell of a lot more posts like this on ISH, with people asking questions about something they honestly wanted to know about, not some uninformed child with an agenda asking questions just to bait someone into an argument so they can tell them why they're wrong.

If more people posted about what they honestly knew about, and didn't post at all in the threads that they honestly don't know about, the internet as a whole would be a better place, and we could all sign Kumbaya around the glow of our monitors

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by applejoe
    Kinda like what Kobe does. Seems like the whole point of the triangle for the Lakers is to get Kobe a shot over 2 defenders. At times he goes through the motions just so everyone else can touch the ball too, but rarely do they get the benefits of the movement and spacing created from the offense.
    No.. Kobe's teammates can't even make open shots, that's why the Triangle doesn't work. Jordan had some of the greatest shooters of all time in their positions on his team (Kerr, Grant), one of the greatest SF of all time, and smart players that know their role in all positions. That's why Jordan could afford to pass the ball and run the Triangle. That's why the Triangle worked to get 6 chips. If Kobe had those teammates, he'd get at least 2 by now.

Serious playground baller Juvenile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    The thing about the cross court alignment is that it isolates the two help side defenders as far from the action as possible, and in as useless a position as possible.

You'd get into it with a high screen between Rondo and Perkins, then move Garnett to the strong block with a cross screen, most likely from Pierce. Or use Garnett as the high screener, then back screen him to the short corner with Perkins, a screen the screener action. That should get Garnett the ball, mid post, and Rondo corner, Perkins high makes up the usual triangle.
    The thing is, Garnett is going to instinctually inside pivot and face up. That renders doubles from Rondo's guy useless, because he's on his back. Doubling off of Perkins is only going to cover the top.
    That creates the triangle between Garnett, and Allen/Pierce on the weakside. Any action off the ball on the weakside, like a cross between the two, should be enough to open them up a little.
    The help is less likely to be too agressive off of those two, plus it's got less size, otherwise there'd be iso problems against either one. Should the ball get skipped, you have Pierce and Allen in a two on two situation, with the help coming off of Garnett having to cover more ground, because of the distance Garnett plays off the block. And the help would coming off of Garnett, which is a good thing.
    You're asking him to make a difficult pass across the middle of the floor, but Garnett's length makes him one of the few people I could imagine pulling it off. Winter has talked about it with regard to Walton. Shaq's post position is much deeper, making that cross court pass less impactfull. And Jordan would have a more difficult time because he's shorter, plus he's playing one of the two spots you'd want that iso on the weakside for.

One of the problems the C's have with the traditional triangle would be their Centers on the weakside, who generally can't shoot, meaning you get an automatic double team. That's why the Bulls went after guys like Wennington. It's the reason Brian Cook can find a roll on the Laker's when he otherwise may not be in the league.
    Just to get it right. You got the regular triangle on the strong side with the center up top, the PG in the strong side corner and the two swingmen on both wings. The strong side swingman cuts along the baseline, the weakside moves towards the top and if there isnt a viable scoring situation with those moves, the high post player will make a move towards either side and the only viable help is from the former strong side corner or the weakside wing? Is that it? Basically some sort of a triangle morphed into a 2-1-2 situation with two up top, a high post and two corner/wing players?

If that, I see how KG would fit well in there, since he can shoot it well from there, take a long stride towards the basket or pass it out if he gets the double team.