Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default ☆Official Kobe Bryant Thread: #Ko8e24

With Meeks doing pretty well as SG, and assuming Kobe would not be as mobile, would MDA use him as a SF?
    I remember when MJ returned from retirement, he played SF at Washington so he also doesn't have to chase quick SGs.
    The problem is on the other end, he'll be guarded by taller guys too.

Default Re: Kobe as a Small Forward

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    With Meeks doing pretty well as SG, and assuming Kobe would not be as mobile, would MDA use him as a SF?
    I remember when MJ returned from retirement, he played SF at Washington so he also doesn't have to chase quick SGs.
    The problem is on the other end, he'll be guarded by taller guys too.
    Nothing at all against you, and I agree with playing Kobe at SF........BUT
    There is something really horribly wrong with moving Kobe's position in favor of Jodie Meeks

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    There is something really horribly wrong with moving Kobe's position in favor of Jodie Meeks
    exactly...he is a volume shooter. he is good now and will be miserable in few weeks

Kobe should play 2 and only 2...3 like u say is going to be tough..playing aginst 3

Home of the 16

This is why we need Trevor back. Kobe can play SG in the offensive end, & then play SF at the other end. I like Meeks, but he should just play Vujacic's role.

& this is also why they gotta build their roster around for the top 5 teams this off-season & not just sign Melo (if that ever happens).
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 11-21-2013 at 05:46 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

I feel Kobe is probably too old to play small forward now permanently anyway, positives and negatives to it, would give up a fair bit on defense if he's up against bigger 3's and isn't as good on defense as he once was to be able to make up for the size disadvantage he will have not that that's a slant on Kobe it happens to everyone with time or maybe he just gambles too much on defense. Ultimately I think it depends on who the opposition 3 is, you could play him on the less physically strong 3's and it could work fine but I don't think you can permanently play him there or for an extended amount of time. I think it's too big of an ask to play someone coming off an achilles tear to play on 3's who can often be bigger and stronger and at 35 years of age, it might save him from being hurt when playing defense against quicker shooting guards but I'd rather him just stay at 2, it might at his age save his legs though not having to go on players who are quicker but they will often be bigger on the flip side of the coin. Pro's and con's to the idea so I suppose given there isn't very high hopes for this year it will probably be trialled.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    I know I started the thread with Meeks doing "pretty well", note that I didn't say he is doing great.
    But I also included another reason which is not putting pressure on Kobe to chase quick SGs.
    Starters usually play more minutes, Meeks has been pretty consistent, (except the Denver game) and has been really working hard both in defense and not just lurking in the perimeter. He actually cuts and finds open spots etc and also he has a develop a rapport and Blake has been finding him. Putting him on the bench might shake his confidence.
    Another point is that other guys have been very inconsistent. Johnson, Young etc, why punish Jodie.... Then again, he could be really strengthen the bench...

NBA lottery pick

So Kobe can't chase around SG's on defense but he's supposed to guard guys like Lebron, Melo, Durant, George, Batum, etc, etc? I can see him playing SF for some short stretches but it makes no sense to keep him there permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    So Kobe can't chase around SG's on defense but he's supposed to guard guys like Lebron, Melo, Durant, George, Batum, etc, etc? I can see him playing SF for some short stretches but it makes no sense to keep him there permanently.
    It is my opinion that Kobe (who by the way is 6-6 1/2 and not 6-3 and not 180 lbs)can defend SFs better than Ray Allen who run rings using multiple picks or Wade who is called flash, or George Hill who is very quick or SGs who can really shoot from 26 feet where you have to be on their grill all the time.. Yes, I still remember when he got punished in the post by Steve Smith in 1999 etc but after gtting tutored by Payton etc on how to defend down low I think over the years, Kobe has learned to hold his own against 6-8 forwards. Yes, Durant is the exception but doubting if he can defend Batum? really?

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    It is my opinion that Kobe (who by the way is 6-6 1/2 and not 6-3 and not 180 lbs)can defend SFs better than Ray Allen who run rings using multiple picks or Wade who is called flash, or George Hill who is very quick or SGs who can really shoot from 26 feet where you have to be on their grill all the time.. Yes, I still remember when he got punished in the post by Steve Smith in 1999 etc but after gtting tutored by Payton etc on how to defend down low I think over the years, Kobe has learned to hold his own against 6-8 forwards. Yes, Durant is the exception but doubting if he can defend Batum? really?
    I'm in agreement with you on this, but it has become a choice of getting beat on the perimeter or getting beat in the paint where you can get help from your PF or Center. I choose the latter. All this being said, we don't know how much speed Kobe has lost.....maybe he can still guard SGs?

NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: [Official Kobe Bryant Thread] Kobe as a Small Forward

No, just no. Meeks is slowly coming back down to Earth after that terrific start. Those boneheaded plays are just inexcusable for someone in the starting unit.

When Kobe comes back, start Wesley Johnson at the 3, or make a trade and bring back Ariza at the 3.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    No, just no. Meeks is slowly coming back down to Earth after that terrific start. Those boneheaded plays are just inexcusable for someone in the starting unit.

When Kobe comes back, start Wesley Johnson at the 3, or make a trade and bring back Ariza at the 3.
    I don't see the Wizards trading Ariza. Porter is hurt so he's not going to be their starter. Ariza has been good for them this year, and that's a team that wants to finally make a playoff run. I think they would rather just let him walk after the season is done and keep the cap room.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut

Huh, Meeks has committed 4 turnvers in the last 5 games, too much for you?
    Meeks for the season is averaging 44% from the 3pt line, 49% overall, 13 pts/game.
    Danny Green is ave 42 % from 3pt line, 43% overall and 8pts/game.
    Reddick is ave 36% from 3pt line,
    Yes, he is not a great defender but he is trying. No, he is not a great ball handler/passer etc but I think he is doing what is expected of him.

Not airballing my layups anymore Da Kobester's Avatar

Let Kobe roam the wings like a free safety...mamba on the prowl .

Default Win Loss record without Kobe?

Not sure if this is accurate but wikiAnswers says
    Answer:

Without Kobe, the Lakers are 43-21 (including 0-1 in playoffs), as of Feb 1, 2012.
    That includes a game where he played only 1 minute, as well as a game he played 6 minutes (going 1 for 2, scoring 2 pts total.
    Can anybody validate? thanks

Local High School Star

Default Kobe - the tanking mastermind

I finally get it. Kobe is with me on the "we need to tank this year" bandwagon. So he signs 2 extra years and comes back early to captain the ship to a worse record because otherwise there is no chance to win another title for him. Now i am finally calm and sure the Lakers will not make the playoffs and tank hard.