Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who had the better boxing career Roy Jones Jr. or Bernard Hopkins?

Roy Jones Jr. was hands down the best boxer in the 1990's while Bernard Hopkins arguably have the best boxing resume in the 2000's.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Default Re: Who had the better boxing career Roy Jones Jr. or Bernard Hopkins?

roy... he was the biggest name in boxing & p4p king for a while

Banned

Interesting debate, I'd have to look harder into it before making a call. Roy beat him the first time they met, I think a rematch is in order. That would clear up the question a bit I think. Plus I'd definitely pay to see it

Hopkins had a way better career.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Roy Jones Jr. was hands down the best boxer in the 1990's while Bernard Hopkins arguably have the best boxing resume in the 2000's.
    Roy had the better career. There was a time when he was considered the best in the business. If you're talking after their peak and in terms of longevity then BHOP could make a case. Of course Roy did beat him head to head.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Interesting debate, I'd have to look harder into it before making a call. Roy beat him the first time they met, I think a rematch is in order. That would clear up the question a bit I think. Plus I'd definitely pay to see it

a fight now would not clear up anything. roy is way past his prime and hop is old

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Current Hopkins would school Roy Jones Jr. RJJ is still good, and I think he can still beat some of the lesser fighters in the Super Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Division.

Roy Jones Jr. (Some of the good fighters that he had beaten)

James Toney
    Bernard Hopkins
    Montell Griffin
    Mike Mccallum
    Prime Virgin Hill
    Otis Grant
    Vinnie Pazienza
    John Ruiz (Worst Heavyweight Champion ever)
    Felix Trinidad and Jeff Lacy (Both past their primes)

He's also a former Middleweight, Super Middleweight, Undisputed Light Heavyweight, and Heavyweight Champion.

Bernard Hopkins (21 title defenses)

He was already a good fighter in the 1990's, but he had a great career in the 2000's.

Glenn Johnson
    Felix Trinidad (First boxer to TKO Trinidad)
    William Joppy
    Robert Allen
    Keith Holmes
    Oscar Dela Hoya (First Boxer to KO Dela Hoya, and De La Hoya was already shot after that fight)
    Antonio Tarver
    Winky Wright
    Kelly Pavlik
    Carl Daniels

( Former Unified World Middleweight Champion, and Former Light Heavyweight Champion).

Hopkins is still a top 5 pound for pound, and he issued a challenge againts Tomas Adamek for his Ring Magazine Cruiserweight title)

Bernard Hopkins. He just became the oldest champion in Boxing History. Since I started this thread the Executioner have beaten Tavoris Cloud, and John Pascal.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 03-11-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Hopkins

roy is probably the most talented fighter we've ever seen. and as much as i love dude, i really think he underachieved in his career. he is an all time great, but he had the potential to be in the breath of ray robinson. he played too much, and i felt he never maxed out his potential consistently.

if rjj was as focused in most of his fights as he was against montell griffin 2. he'd be my goat. b-hop always adapted, got better with age, and didn't really on speed or athleticism. i prefer rjj as a fighter, but b-hop has the better career.
    Last edited by Bucket_Nakedz; 03-11-2013 at 05:04 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
    roy is probably the most talented fighter we've ever seen. and as much as i love dude, i really think he underachieved in his career. he is an all time great, but he had the potential to be in the breath of ray robinson. he played too much, and i felt he never maxed out his potential consistently.

if rjj was as focused in most of his fights as he was against montell griffin 2. he'd be my goat.
    How can a guy who won titles from middle weight all the way up to heavyweight, something that has never been done, an underachiever? Roy's biggest problem was that he was so far ahead of the competition that he never had a truly great opponent to battle. His greatest opponent ended up being the battle to change body type so much and move up in weight. It took a huge toll on his body.

Roy Jones should have fought Eubank, Benn, & McClellan. That would have been the Fabulous Four(Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Hearns) of the Super Middle division!!!! So sad what happened to McClellan, would have been an all-time great. Beat Roy in the amateurs, one of the hardest P4P punchers of ALL TIME, trained by Emanuel Steward in the legendary Kronk gym. Was beating the sh*t out of Benn until that blood clot. Many believe that it was after the McClellan/Benn fight that shook Roy to his core and decided to never get into brawls in his fights again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4OLpol8YAk
    Think of a more orthodox Roy Jones with more power and aggression, and a better chin. One thing though is that he partied a lot, it would have caught up to him.
    Last edited by lefthook00; 03-11-2013 at 05:28 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz

if rjj was as focused in most of his fights as he was against montell griffin 2. he'd be my goat. b-hop always adapted, got better with age, and didn't really on speed or athleticism. i prefer rjj as a fighter, but b-hop has the better career.
    He didn't have the potential to be on the level of Sugar Ray Robinson.

RJJ depended heavily on his reflexes and those reflexes helped mask his many fundamental flaws. Once his speed diminished, he was toast. That never happened to Ray.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Hopkins clearly had the better career resume-wise.

Jones was just a better boxer.

Jones had a better prime and peak.

Hop has the longevity by a long shot.